E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
EDness

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
boot leaking

I posted this in the general forum as well.

Is this power steering? I saw a puddle on my driveway and when i wiggle the boot more oil would come out.

EDness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
xtascox

My Ride: 325xi
Check your power steering fluid levels and that should tell you. Power steering fluid is one of my most hated car fluid odors. I've practically bathed in it replacing a badly leaking rack on my friend's Ford and while parting out my first car. You're bringing back horrible memories...
xtascox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
EDness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtascox View Post
Check your power steering fluid levels and that should tell you. Power steering fluid is one of my most hated car fluid odors. I've practically bathed in it replacing a badly leaking rack on my friend's Ford and while parting out my first car. You're bringing back horrible memories...
funny i did check...the level is good. The oil coming out of the boot is brownish...smells like motor oil, but coming out of that boot? That's what confuses me.

Last edited by EDness; 08-09-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
LarsS

My Ride: e46 M3
If it's coming out of the boot, then your boot most have a hole or tear in it. From the picture, that looks like the boot over one of your steering knuckles (or ball joints or whatever you want to call it). They're filled with grease (not motor oil, but if it's been contaminated, it could easily come out looking more like gunky oil than grease, I guess).

If it is a torn boot, you really need to replace the boot before the knuckle gets rusted out or worn out. The boot is cheap, but the knuckle is not.

It's not terribly difficult to do; First, count the number of threads showing from the start of the threads on the steering arm to where the adjustment bolt is, and either remember that number, or write it down. Then you have to unscrew the adjuster bolt on the steering arm until the steering arm comes loose. Cut off the old boot and clamps, clean up the knuckle, re-grease it, and install the new boot. Then, bolt it back together, adjusting the nut until you have the same number of threads showing. You probably should also get the steering aligned afterwards, but by counting the threads, you should at least get the alignment back to as good as it was before you started.
LarsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
EDness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsS View Post
If it's coming out of the boot, then your boot most have a hole or tear in it. From the picture, that looks like the boot over one of your steering knuckles (or ball joints or whatever you want to call it). They're filled with grease (not motor oil, but if it's been contaminated, it could easily come out looking more like gunky oil than grease, I guess).

If it is a torn boot, you really need to replace the boot before the knuckle gets rusted out or worn out. The boot is cheap, but the knuckle is not.

It's not terribly difficult to do; First, count the number of threads showing from the start of the threads on the steering arm to where the adjustment bolt is, and either remember that number, or write it down. Then you have to unscrew the adjuster bolt on the steering arm until the steering arm comes loose. Cut off the old boot and clamps, clean up the knuckle, re-grease it, and install the new boot. Then, bolt it back together, adjusting the nut until you have the same number of threads showing. You probably should also get the steering aligned afterwards, but by counting the threads, you should at least get the alignment back to as good as it was before you started.

what confuses me is that it comes out like motor oil consistency...not thick grease like CV joints. I wiggle it...it spills out. PS reservoir level looks good...motor oil level's good.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
That's the tie-rod boot, not the axle boot.

It should not be filled with grease, like the cv boots.

Probably an OFHG leak. Or maybe someone packed the wrong boot with grease.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
xtascox

My Ride: 325xi
As Kubica pointed it's definitely not the CV boot which is looming in the background (and you can see the shape of the tie-rod in the foreground).

I've seen bad racks leak into the boot and then onto the ground. But from your description it doesn't sound like power steering fluid. Then again guessing a fluid over the internet is not exactly something that should be done. Keep an eye on all of your fluid levels over the next few days and be wary of any unfamiliar sounds. I would also suggest wiping everything clean and then checking for the exact source of the leak.

Last edited by xtascox; 08-09-2011 at 03:32 PM.
xtascox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Need to do a better inspection and try to locate the source of the leak. It' too tough to tell from that photo.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
yannis4ny

My Ride: 2004 325ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
Need to do a better inspection and try to locate the source of the leak. It' too tough to tell from that photo.
did you figure this out? i have the same problem and i feel that it is steering fluid going into the boot and then on the ground. it is kind of dark because ythe fluid is old.
yannis4ny is offline   Reply With Quote