E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Planning meals in advance.....challenge accepted.

So, the wife and I go out to eat too often. I find myself going out to lunch 4/5 days during the work week, and then going out to dinner with her 3ish times per week. We eat healthy (read: no [cr]applebees/mcdonalds) but the bottom line is that it is expensive.

We are wanting to limit ourselves to going out to eat only 1 time per week for a month in an effort to save money and see how we do, overall.

Give me some ideas for good things that I can pack in advance for lunch. I work in an office setting so I have a refrigerator/freezer, microwave and a toaster at my disposal. Any ideas for dinner items where the leftovers could flow into a lunch item would be awesome, as well.

Thanks for everyones help and hopefully this will end up benefitting others on the food forum, as well!

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
anything lol. Seriously. If you have a microwave I don't see how you can't eat anything.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
anything lol. Seriously. If you have a microwave I don't see how you can't eat anything.
I guess I should have put the fact that I don't want to eat the equivelant of Hot Pockets every day. Sandwiches are good, but plain old turkey and cheese is a tired choice. I was looking for some more variety.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Make a couple cans of pasta sauce, possibilities are endless with a recipe and what you can do with it. Put it over pasta or rice... add ground meat to it and some red wine to brighten up the flavor.

Meatloaf will last you a decent amount of time.

Roast a couple chickens

Family pack of sirloin tips always lasts a couple days for me... lunch and dinner at least a couple times nom nom

Shrimp cockail is good for a couple days easily
Old 07-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I guess I should have put the fact that I don't want to eat the equivelant of Hot Pockets every day. Sandwiches are good, but plain old turkey and cheese is a tired choice. I was looking for some more variety.
honestly foods like that didn't even cross my mind. I was thinking of

chicken
steak
tacos
pastas
meatloaf
fish

anything.

For example this week I had

steak and green beans
chicken with bacon wrapped asparagus and sweet potato fries
more chicken and green beans

that's just because I'm very particular with what I eat during the week.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
EDawg

My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Sandwiches are good, but plain old turkey and cheese is a tired choice. I was looking for some more variety.
there are a bunch of different bread, cold cuts, cheese, veggies, and condiments you can use for creating sandwiches and wraps. use your imagination, and you can go through a whole month without eating the exact same sandwich/wrap twice.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
I love making BOMB Italian sandwhices! The wonderful cold cuts you can put in! Publix has a fantastic Jerk Chicken too!

Also, I do a big batch of beef bourguigon every few months or so and package it into single serving sizes using freezer bags... I've done turkey and beef chili the same way and all have worked wonderfully, but I'm a stew kinda guy... Also every time I cook chicken, I always make chicken salad. I really think the key to a good lunch is GREAT bread to put your creations between! When we eat out for lunch, its always sandwiches... Also pork butt bbq does well too.... Just plan ahead!

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
auto180sx is offline   Reply With Quote