E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #101
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
so.......... how'd it go?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #102
JJR4884

fine then fuck you
Old 08-24-2011, 04:18 AM   #103
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
very yummy looking!
I personally like to have some more significant pepper texture in my sauce. I take the whole peppercorns and do a rough crack to them. To add some nice color, I'll use a mix of black/white/green/red peppercorns.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #104
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
very yummy looking!
I personally like to have some more significant pepper texture in my sauce. I take the whole peppercorns and do a rough crack to them. To add some nice color, I'll use a mix of black/white/green/red peppercorns.
i'll use very very coarse pepper on the steak itself... sometimes i'll use the mix too, depends on what I buy... tellicherry pepperscorns is what i'm stocked with right now... amazing
Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #105
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
fine then fuck you
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #106
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
just made this tonight. fvcking amazing!
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #107
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
holy fuark this was so good. Easily best dinner I've made in 2011.
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #108
JJR4884

glad you liked it.... i hope you used accolades method in the page before... thats how i have been doing it for the past year or two, so much better
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #109
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
bumping this thread. I'm gonna make this tomorrow night to practice before I make it for a special chick. I think it will wow her, like it has for everyone else. Thanks Russo.
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #110
sgplayer69

My Ride: 2003 CB M3 Coupe
Looks delicious, how come you put it in the oven for 7min over continuing to sear it?
Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #111
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
I must have no been paying attention to the forum when this thread was made. This is a very unconventional way of making it. The au poivre is meant to be a quick pan sauce.

I make mine much different...

I use whole peppercorns that are flash ground in the spice grinder, leaving the grind very course. The cracked pepper is pressed into the meat. Then I sear the steaks in a hot cast iron pan, transfer to a baking sheet and either finish in the oven or return to the pan once the base of the sauce is made. At this point you can do a quick sautee on some shallot, onion, I've even tossed in button or sliced mushrooms. Add cognac to the pan, where it will flame and use it to deglaze the pan (the good stuff is stuck to the pan), add the cream and let it cook. You can return the steaks to the pan and pan baste them to finish cooking, this will really infuse the flavors into the meat.

Russo, I've acutally never heard of the au poivre cooking that long. Any place I've seen it made at does it the quick way.
Wait.. So if i am to understand this correctly the steak is returned to the pan after the oven simply to infuse the Au Poivre sauce for a very short time correct?
So..
1. Sear steak in pan
2. Move steak to oven
3. Flámbé cognac and add the remaining elements of the Au poivre to pan
4. Finish steak breifly in pan containing Au Poivre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #112
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
Wait.. So if i am to understand this correctly the steak is returned to the pan after the oven simply to infuse the Au Poivre sauce for a very short time correct?
So..
1. Sear steak in pan
2. Move steak to oven
3. Flámbé cognac and add the remaining elements of the Au poivre to pan
4. Finish steak breifly in pan containing Au Poivre
Correct
I've come a long way since this thread lol.....

The issue with my previous recipe was that i was using enough for like, 12 friggin steaks. With that much cream, you needed to cook it low because if you cook it on high, the cream and butter will separate, then leave you with a sauce looking like an STD

But ya... cook the steak, take it off and let it rest, hit the pan with cognac, let it deglaze, add some butter, shallots, whole peppercorns, and cream... within 5 min your sauce should be ready to go and your steak will be properly rested.

I have now learned to cook the steak a little lower that way it cooks 100% in the pan, no stove necessary. Cool on a rack and tent it to keep i warm.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #113
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgplayer69 View Post
Looks delicious, how come you put it in the oven for 7min over continuing to sear it?
i didn't enjoy burning the outside of the steak, plue the oven at 350 cooks it a little more delicately than keeping it on a hot pan. Allows the steak to cook a bit more evenly as well.... however like i mentioned, i've turned the heat down just enough to get a perfect sear as soon as the steak is ready to be flipped

Last edited by JJR4884; 11-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #114
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
I'll say something that I am not sure that most people are not going to agree with...

If you're going to cook it all the way in a pan, flip frequently.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #115
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
I'll say something that I am not sure that most people are not going to agree with...

If you're going to cook it all the way in a pan, flip frequently.
i actually agree on this, however i won't flip it for the first time until it has a nice char on it... if the crust is still gray, leave it. then flip frequently, and also sear the sides as well, a 30-45 second hit will do the job.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #116
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I'm going to have to try to make this one night. I had never had it before but got it at a steak house while I was home for Christmas and holy sh!t...rare meat with a bourbon cream sauce

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote