E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
jaykvilla

My Ride: 2000 323i BMW
Limp Mode & EML Light? Help!

Hey guys i have 2000 323i bmw which i just bought.

the guy i bought it off said that he replaced the throttle body sensor which is the culprit for being in Limp Mode.

now, himself and the BMW mechanic said it was replaced/fixed and within 2 weeks it should 'reprogram' itself into the ECU and be back to normal. i asked another mechanic and they said yes it should be fine. I however dont know a lot about engines so i was wondering if it's true or not.

problems:
won't let me go over 80 kph or 4000+ rpm.
and sounds a bit lumpy
loss of power.

if it's genuinly ****ed what should i do? hahaha

sorry for being such a noob.
jaykvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
HyphyMovementZ

My Ride: ZSP, DC5, EM2
Send a message via Skype™ to HyphyMovementZ
Happened to me once... Was the transmission
Old 08-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
BLKE46SC

My Ride: My grandma bicycle!
Is the SES n EML light on??
BLKE46SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
jaykvilla

the only lights on are 'EML' and the Warning Lamp for 'ASC' (the triangle with exclamation mark inside and the arrow circling)
Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
BLKE46SC

I see. I'm no expert on this but I had this same problem, my SES n EML was on everytime I drive the car and the ASC came on everytime I reversed the car. So I read the code on the car and it happened to be the TPS/pedal (that's what the code says anyway) so I replaced the pedal and the problem was still there, and guess what? The real problem was the TPS above the oil filter. After I replaced that TPS the car run better and it's not throwing the codes anymore. I hope. Lol but yeah it's just from my experience. I got 02 M3 so idk if it's the same or not.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
jaykvilla

apparently it has all been fixed and replaced and within two weeks it should be back to normal in two weeks and it's all good to be driven, i just thought you could drive it away once its replaced and it'd be fine, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. hmm..
Old 08-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #7
BLKE46SC

Hmm. My car was fine right after I replaced the TPS. all I had to do was reset the code and it's all good. Idk what going on on urs then. But EML usually TPS problems.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #8
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Do you know if the throttle adaptations were reset after the throttle body was replaced?

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/04/35/75
Note:
A faulty throttle adjusts the adaptation values stored in the DME control unit. These adaptation values must be reset after the throttle assembly has been replaced.
Clearing adaptation values:
- Connect DIS Tester
- Select vehicle type
- Select "DME Motor Electronics MS42", ne carry out individual brief test
- Continue with bottom right arrow
- The "Fault pattern selection" window appears.
Select "Function selection" (bottom left)
- The "Function and component selection" window appears:
- Select "Service functions"
- Select "Drive"
- Select "Digital Motor Electronics"
- Select "Reset adaptations"
- Select "Test schedule" (bottom left)
- The "Test schedule" window appears. ne Select "Reset adaptations"
- Continue with bottom right arrow
For subsequent procedure, follow DIS instructions.
The new adaptation values are stored in the DME control unit after the engine is started for the first time
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
jaykvilla

wouldnt have a clue, so im going to speak with the guy tomorrow and put in for it to be checked at a different qorkshop.

thanks a lot guys, greatly appreciated!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
BLKE46SC

Good luck!!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykvilla View Post
the only lights on are 'EML' and the Warning Lamp for 'ASC' (the triangle with exclamation mark inside and the arrow circling)
Let me get my "Easy Button" I just fixed this exact problem on my 00 E46 323i. Your Throttle Body flap isn't opening you've got carbon build-up preventing your flap from opening letting air into your engine. The EML code on a Peake scanner is (77) MDK Motorized Throttle valve mechanically stuck. You will need to pull the throttle body clean it and reopen it. There are a ton of DIY for removing and cleaning throttle body's. It's a relatively simple DIY process involving removal of the MAF, lower intake hoses, IVC in order to get the throttle body. Remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal before starting this job or you will have to reset the MDK adaptation. Just my two and a half cents worth...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Jrob1

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I had a similar problem a year or so ago, somehow the throttle body was stuck (even though I had cleaned all of that within the last year. Shop said on my car the TPS unit down there is part of the throttle body and was fried so they had to replace it. Worked fine after they did that and gave it back to me. It shouldn't be in limp mode at all if they fixed the correct problem. There is also a TPS at the pedal as some have mentioned...

2003 Jet Black 330i
- Headers; Rogue Ikon Exhaust; 3.46 Diff; UUC SwayBarbarians; StrutBarbarian; Evo III SSK w/DSSR and Weighted Knob; UUC Lightweight Flywheel and Performance Organic Clutch; AFE Intake; MTechII Bumper; Dinan Stage II Software; 8000k HID Fogs, Predator Orion; M3 Lip Spoiler; ACS Roof Spoiler; Beyern Mesh 19" Wheels w/Hankook V12 Tires; LED smoked lights; Tri Stitch M3 Wheel; LED Interior Lighting; DICE
Jrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob1 View Post
I had a similar problem a year or so ago, somehow the throttle body was stuck (even though I had cleaned all of that within the last year. Shop said on my car the TPS unit down there is part of the throttle body and was fried so they had to replace it. Worked fine after they did that and gave it back to me. It shouldn't be in limp mode at all if they fixed the correct problem. There is also a TPS at the pedal as some have mentioned...
Only one problem between your issue and Jaykvilla's problem. The E46 323i has a mechanical throttle body with a wire accelerator, your throttle body is drive-by-wire and not mechanical like the one in the E46 323i.
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
EmbassyBlack

My Ride: 2001 330ci, 2011 Ram
happened to me before, it was the engine position sensor. its a small sensor under the intake right on the engine. ~$200 for the part at the dealer.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
jaykvilla

thanks guys but according to the mechanics the TPS was replaced and is all clean...
heard from sources that it has to configure itself to the ECU which normally takes approx 320 kilometres.. see after that.. if not i wont be happy haha
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
g_collins90

My Ride: E46 323
I've brought a 323i se last week and I now have the same problem when I turn the ignition on I have EML and ASC and the car will not rev past 3k
g_collins90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #17
Nystyle91

My Ride: 01 E46 330i
So no actual fix then?
Nystyle91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecu, eml, limp mode, power