E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #201
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #202
Ackord02

My Ride: is slow
Send a message via MSN to Ackord02 Send a message via Skype™ to Ackord02
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #203
Ackord02

My Ride: is slow
Send a message via MSN to Ackord02 Send a message via Skype™ to Ackord02
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #204
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.2
Fvcking sign me up!
Zapping the brain improves math skills

I saw a similar technique used on the science channel to improve the social skills of a highly gifted engineer with aspergers syndrome.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #205
cowmoo32
drunken science

Interesting blog post about a different view on entropy and the big bang. It seems like more and more people are warming up to the idea of a cyclical universe
http://www.science20.com/hammock_phy...cond_law-81855
Quote:
Where does this leave us with the Second Law? Clearly when expressed a-la Clausius "The entropy of the universe can only increase" does not hold true. However, we can redefine the Second Law such that it does cover the observed bounce behavior:

"The entropy of the universe is a convex function of time."

flickher

Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #206
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
^^ interesting. I've been watching the trend away from the big bang for a few years now. Personally, I have always been suspicious of it. It just doesn't make any logical sense. All of this from nothing?

It's like how string theory is displacing point-particle physics. At least a string has some mass. A zed-point-particle has no mass. How do you base all of physics off a massless point? Makes no sense.

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #207
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ween View Post
^^ interesting. I've been watching the trend away from the big bang for a few years now. Personally, I have always been suspicious of it. It just doesn't make any logical sense. All of this from nothing?

It's like how string theory is displacing point-particle physics. At least a string has some mass. A zed-point-particle has no mass. How do you base all of physics off a massless point? Makes no sense.
But does saying that a string is a fundamental building block make any more sense? "Sorry, this is it, a string is a string and it isn't made of anything smaller than itself". The analogy I've read is "asking what a string is made of is like asking what a letter is made of, nothing. Paragraphs are sentences, sentences are words, and words are letters; there is nothing smaller"

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #208
i_ween

Quote:
But does saying that a string is a fundamental building block make any more sense? "Sorry, this is it, a string is a string and it isn't made of anything smaller than itself". The analogy I've read is "asking what a string is made of is like asking what a letter is made of, nothing. Paragraphs are sentences, sentences are words, and words are letters; there is nothing smaller"
I think it does make sense. There must be some "smallest part." Plus, the math works out.

www.gil-galad.com
Old 08-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #209
cowmoo32
drunken science

The math works in theory. As of yet, there is no way to test for the presence of strings; they're too small. Let's run with it though and assume string theory is correct. In the most simplified description, strings vibrate at varying frequencies which in turn give rise to a corresponding fundamental particle. What started the strings vibrating to begin with? What keeps them vibrating? Where did the strings come from? I know you can't answer any of that, and I'm not sure if anyone can, but if it does come to fruition as a TOE, we're going to need answers to those types of questions.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-22-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #210
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
cowmoo you make my fuucking head hurt with all this sh1t
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #211
cowmoo32
drunken science

Awesome. That means you're actually thinking about it. I had an art teacher in HS that made me take a simple drawing, turn it upside down, and draw that. I vividly remember my brain actually hurting from trying to figure out what I was looking at and how I was going to recreate it, same thing is going on here.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-22-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #212
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Quote:
Awesome. That means you're actually thinking about it. I had an art teacher in HS that made me take a simple drawing, turn it upside down, and draw that. I vividly remember my brain actually hurting from trying to figure out what I was looking at and how I was going to recreate it, same thing is going on here.

Damit! cowmoo you edited it before I could comment
Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #213
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #214
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Cowmoo, you bring up some great points!

I've read on string theory a little, but have a question.

According to my understanding of the theory, time is essentially "caused" by the strings' vibration. If that is true, and then temperature is the amount of vibration of the particles. Would it not hold true that temperature affects the passing of time?
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #215
cowmoo32
drunken science

I haven't come across anything linking strings and the passage of time, do you have an article handy? Temperature can be seen as one measure of the vibration (vibration being a measure of the energy) of a system, but I don't really see how it could be linked to time. We know that entropy and time are related, if not one in the same, and that in the end everything will be a hot cloud of fundamental particles, but again, I don't see any other link between heat and time. Although...(forgive me, I'm thinking 'out loud' here) temperature is a direct result of energy, and energy warps spacetime, so you could maybe argue that one affects the other. I don't know the math well enough to say for sure though.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-22-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #216
Rubenk

Quote:
I haven't come across anything linking strings and the passage of time, do you have an article handy? Temperature can be seen as one measure of the vibration (vibration being a measure of the energy) of a system, but I don't really see how it could be linked to time. We know that entropy and time are related, if not one in the same, and that in the end everything will be a hot cloud of fundamental particles, but again, I don't see any other link between heat and time.
I cant recall the exact article, as it was quite a few years ago.

But this article alludes to the concept.

http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarge...rstring-theory

Quote:
According to string theory:
All forces and particles in nature are derived from variations in vibrations of strings. As an example, gravity is said to arise from the lowest vibration of a closed string.
There are ten dimensions in the natural world (nine spatial dimensions plus time), rather than the four of classical science (the three spatial dimensions plus time). What causes the extra six dimensions to be largely unnoticed is that they are considered to be compacted or curled up.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #217
cowmoo32
drunken science

I think you're reading into that too much. Time is necessary to describe the physical universe, so it's going to show up in any theory, and especially a TOE. But I would still love to read what you originally read suggesting that strings are responsible for the flow of time; I had never heard that idea.

flickher

Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #218
Rubenk

Quote:
I think you're reading into that too much. Time is necessary to describe the physical universe, so it's going to show up in any theory, and especially a TOE. But I would still love to read what you originally read suggesting that strings are responsible for the flow of time; I had never heard that idea.
You're probably right. It could of just been something that came across my mind.

I'll look around, but I dont anticipate myself finding that particular article.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #219
i_ween

Quote:
The math works in theory. As of yet, there is no way to test for the presence of strings; they're too small. Let's run with it though and assume string theory is correct. In the most simplified description, strings vibrate at varying frequencies which in turn give rise to a corresponding fundamental particle. What started the strings vibrating to begin with? What keeps them vibrating? Where did the strings come from? I know you can't answer any of that, and I'm not sure if anyone can, but if it does come to fruition as a TOE, we're going to need answers to those types of questions.
I agree, up to a point. If the math ends up working as a TOE, there may be questions we won't be able to answer. However, if the math all works out, will we really *need* to answer those questions?

www.gil-galad.com
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #220
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ween View Post
I agree, up to a point. If the math ends up working as a TOE, there may be questions we won't be able to answer. However, if the math all works out, will we really *need* to answer those questions?
Without a doubt. A TOE must explain everything, whether or not that implies that it's time-invariant is up for debate. Here's my problem though: Either there is a paradigm shift or we'll never know the truth because let's say we arrive on a theory that does explain everything. It blends the accuracy and reliability of QM and the beauty of GR. Now, forget whether this theory says the universe came from a singularity or has always "been", and functions on the inflation-->crunch idea. Either way you look at it, the requisite energy had to come from somewhere/somewhen. And no matter how many levels you can explain, "Our universe is cyclical, but it originated from two higher dimensional membranes colliding. Those branes are the result of the uncurling of what was the 12th dimension" (one flavor of string/M-theory calls for 11 dimensions). That's all good and well, but what caused the 12th dimension to uncurl in the first place? Where did it get the energy to create the branes? IMO either we find a non-causal perspective of the universe/multi-verse/whatever, which rails against every observation we make in our daily lives (although so does QM), or we'll never really know.

flickher