E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
Tire pressures for Autocross

What tire pressures would you recommend running for an autocross event? I'm going to start this year, and I'll be running on 225/50/16's(probably Kumho Ecsta Max) . Any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
AndyZHP

My Ride: BMW
A good rule of thumb and generally the baseline I start out with on my first run is max PSI in the front and 2 to 3 less PSI in the rear.

I just bought a set of 265/35/18 Kumho V700s, I have not autocrossed with them yet, however from my initial testing 40 PSI up front and 37 in the rear seemed to work really well. I will use this as my baseline at my first event.

Less Understeer = increase front tire presure / decrease rear tire pressure
Less Oversteer = increase rear tire presure / decrease front tire pressure

The greater the tire pressure, the greater the grip (to a point anyway)

Last edited by AndyZHP; 02-12-2004 at 12:08 PM.
AndyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
mfino
I give up.........

Thanks Andy. i have another question for you. I'm currently running a stock sport suspension, if I were to begin doing some modifications, is there anything that you might recommend. For example, are strut bars a must when autocrossing?

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZHP
A good rule of thumb and generally the baseline I start out with on my first run is max PSI in the front and 2 to 3 less PSI in the rear.

I just bought a set of 265/35/18 Kumho V700s, I have not autocrossed with them yet, however from my initial testing 40 PSI up front and 37 in the rear seemed to work really well. I will use this as my baseline at my first event.

Less Understeer = increase front tire presure / decrease rear tire pressure
Less Oversteer = increase rear tire presure / decrease front tire pressure

The greater the tire pressure, the greater the grip (to a point anyway)

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
Old 02-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
AndyZHP

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfino
Thanks Andy. i have another question for you. I'm currently running a stock sport suspension, if I were to begin doing some modifications, is there anything that you might recommend. For example, are strut bars a must when autocrossing?

Thanks again
IMHO, you won't really see a difference in your auto-x times with strut bars. The only thing they are good for is to help stiffen up the chassis. They certainly won’t hurt, but I would spend my money elsewhere first.

Here is a list of what I would consider the best mods in order of importance (where you will see the biggest results).

1. Seat time. I would look into attending an Evolution Autocross School.

2. R compound tires. Either the Hoosier A3S03s or the Kumho V700s (which is what I have) tend to me the most popular. R compound tires are by far the best mod you can make to your car to improve your time. You can easily shave 1 to 2 seconds of your time (on a 60 second course).

3. A custom alignment. Max negative camber all the way around. 0" toe-in at the front and 3/16" toe-in at the rear. This is what I am running which is a good street/track compromise.

4. Stiffer sway bars. I run the stock class so I am only allowed to swap out the front sway bar. I'm running Racing Dynamics' 27 mm front sway bar set to full soft.

5. Suspension. Koni single or double adjustable shocks and struts (or a complete coilover kit). Since I am running the stock class I am only allowed to swap out the shocks & struts (no springs, coilovers or camber plates). I'm running TC Kline's Koni double adjustable shocks and struts set to near full stiff. With a set of Konis at this setting you get zero (to little) body roll in the corners.

Good luck and most importantly have fun!!
AndyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfino
What tire pressures would you recommend running for an autocross event? I'm going to start this year, and I'll be running on 225/50/16's(probably Kumho Ecsta Max) . Any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
For that size tire on a 3000lb+ car with a fully set up suspension, divide the weight of the car by 100 and add 2 to 3.

3300lbs/100lbs = 33
33 + 3 = 36psi

Since your car has streetable suspension instead of autocross stuff, I suggest adding about 5 psi to that number. Adjust pressures to minimize tire rollover.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:12 PM   #6
mfino
I give up.........

Thanks. I will try 38-40 and see how that goes. I'm guessing the autocross is going to be extremely addicting. We'll see how the first run goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
For that size tire on a 3000lb+ car with a fully set up suspension, divide the weight of the car by 100 and add 2 to 3.

3300lbs/100lbs = 33
33 + 3 = 36psi

Since your car has streetable suspension instead of autocross stuff, I suggest adding about 5 psi to that number. Adjust pressures to minimize tire rollover.

Ed

Old 02-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
sfzBimmer2

My Ride: '05 Ducati Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl

3300lbs/100lbs = 33
33 + 3 = 36psi

I'm curious how you came up with that formula to determine optimum tire pressures. What would the formula be for my car with 225/40 18s be?
sfzBimmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfzBimmer2
I'm curious how you came up with that formula to determine optimum tire pressures. What would the formula be for my car with 225/40 18s be?

That's an old school pressure recommendation from a Kumho rep when the V700s were new. I was running 225/50/16s on a 3200lb car. Since you are reducing the sidewall area by running an 18, bump your pressures up even higher by a couple more psi.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #9
bmwerkes
Para-Magic

My Ride: 01 330i, 5 spd
On street tires i found that 38 in the front and 40 in the back worked well to reduce understeer on stock sport suspension. Now that i am running R compound V700's i run 40 all around. It seemed to work quite well...

Make sure you take a good tire pressure gauge with you...2-3 pounds off
can make a big difference.
bmwerkes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #10
gokcer

My Ride: 323Ci Sports Package
Make sure to check ur tire pressure before each run. Pressure can climb rapidly because of the increased heat in tire. 1st time I autocrossed I started with 40 all around and after 3 runs I was sliding all over the place. Check my tire pressure 40psi became 52 psi after 3 runs in 60 degree weather. After that I always check before each run
gokcer is offline   Reply With Quote