E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #21
whk006

My Ride: 318
wiper fuse #59 (30A) keeps blowing - can't reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanu91 View Post
I also did this yeasterday and I have 320d 2003. The motor was a little bit different compared with the motor in pictures but cleaning the grease did magic! By the way you have to disconnect your car battery for a minute after you have put everything back because if you don't everytime you test the wipers fuse number 59 (30A) blows. There is some software that needs to be reset and to do that just disconnect the battery.
Hanu91,

My wipers are not returning to the proper 'rest' position (failure caused by iced up wipers). I followed the DIY steps above and cannot get my wiper motor to work - fuse #59 keeps blowing.

I have disconnected the battery for minutes at a time to try and reset the software but the fuse keeps blowing.

Does anyone know how I might fix this issue or why the fuse blows?

I tried to hot wire the motor direct from the battery but it won't turn...not sure if I have the right pins...
whk006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #22
rpet

My Ride: 05 325i
Thanks! Just fixed my wipers that where going the wrong direction and resting on the windshield with this DIY. Just took it all apart, adjusted to natural resting position and reassebled! Works Great!
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
DenaliXTC

My Ride: S/C M3, 745i, X5M
Send a message via AIM to DenaliXTC
Glad to see this DIY is helping people out. Thanks for adding your each owns tips tricks and findings.

Active Autowerkes Gen 7 Stage 2 | Evosport | Vorsteiner | DPE | Supersprint | Rogue Eng.
Brembo 6pot 355/4pot 345 | Dinan 3.91 | HKS | HPF | Custom GTR | Radar Mirror | Leatherz | Beemer Evolution

LSB/Cinn M3 490 RWHP superflow dyno
2011 X5 M White/Blk Vorsteiner
2005 CTS-V 549rwhp/524rwtq all motor
2013 JCW MINI Cooper hardloaded
DenaliXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
SaturnX

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkleinwi View Post
- You can't remove (or install) the wiper linkage with the wipers in the down position. Run the wipers and then shut off the ignition when the wipers are in the full up position.
Hey guys - I'll be tackling this replacement this weekend and have a question about the "running your wipers and shutting off in the full up position"

After I kill the ignition when the wipers are fully up and remove the old linkage/motor; Will there be any issue when I reinstall the new linkage/motor and plug in the new motor that's in the fully down position?

The new linkage is sitting in the home (or fully down) position, I just want to be sure the computer and/or motor won't be confused in some way since the car was shut off with the old linkage/motor fully up, while the new linkage/motor fully down.

Thanks for the help!!
SaturnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
Tony3series

My Ride: 2003 325Ci (5-speed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whk006 View Post
Hanu91,

My wipers are not returning to the proper 'rest' position (failure caused by iced up wipers). I followed the DIY steps above and cannot get my wiper motor to work - fuse #59 keeps blowing.

I have disconnected the battery for minutes at a time to try and reset the software but the fuse keeps blowing.

Does anyone know how I might fix this issue or why the fuse blows?

I tried to hot wire the motor direct from the battery but it won't turn...not sure if I have the right pins...
I'm having the same problem. Tried the relay repair, didn't work for me. Took wiper motor apart, cleaned grease off, reassembled, fuse #59 blows every single time even after disconnecting battery both + and - terminals for like 30 minutes. I have a 2003 and (as someone said earlier in the thread) the metal ring on the inside of my wiper motor doesn't look like the one in the picture either.
Tony3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #26
Tony3series

Solution to fuse # 59 blowing found! Give me a few and I'll post it up with pictures etc. Wipers work like brand new.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #27
Tony3series

OK so if anyone is blowing fuse #59 (30 amp fuse) when they've repaired or replaced their wiper motor here's what's probably going on...

If you look in the picture I circled in red a small clip that holds a braided copper wire. I also drew some red lines showing the path that the wires should take. Before you put the wiper motor back together make sure you push these wires back into the small clips to keep them away from each other and the other mechanisms in the motor!

When I took my motor apart for about the third time to try and find out what was wrong I realized they had gotten loose and were rubbing up against stuff.

Here's another shot where you can see the entire motor. There are also little metals prongs that hold the wires. I've circled a few of them in this pic along with the little plastic clips from the first pic.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #28
Tony3series

Here's a picture of what my cars wiper motor looks like. It doesnt have the complete ring of metal for the brushes to contact like the other pics I've seen. You can see the path that the brushes take across the metal plate.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #29
Tony3series

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnX View Post
Hey guys - I'll be tackling this replacement this weekend and have a question about the "running your wipers and shutting off in the full up position"

After I kill the ignition when the wipers are fully up and remove the old linkage/motor; Will there be any issue when I reinstall the new linkage/motor and plug in the new motor that's in the fully down position?

The new linkage is sitting in the home (or fully down) position, I just want to be sure the computer and/or motor won't be confused in some way since the car was shut off with the old linkage/motor fully up, while the new linkage/motor fully down.

Thanks for the help!!
You should be fine if you are using a new motor/linkage combo. It should automatically return to the home position on a new motor. When you install the new motor make sure you test it before you put the wiper arms back on. Turn the wipers on and watch the bolt go through it's motions then shut wipers off to make sure it returns to home position. Then install wiper arms.

Edited to say, if you separated the new motor/linkage from each other then you might have more problems to deal with. If you did I can try and help guide you through it. I took more pics and even a short video while trying to figure this all out and put it back together.

Last edited by Tony3series; 08-26-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
SaturnX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony3series View Post
You should be fine if you are using a new motor/linkage combo. It should automatically return to the home position on a new motor. When you install the new motor make sure you test it before you put the wiper arms back on. Turn the wipers on and watch the bolt go through it's motions then shut wipers off to make sure it returns to home position. Then install wiper arms.

Edited to say, if you separated the new motor/linkage from each other then you might have more problems to deal with. If you did I can try and help guide you through it. I took more pics and even a short video while trying to figure this all out and put it back together.
Thanks! Just did the job this morning, I managed to remove/install the linkage/motor in the home position.

Took a little wrangling to get the right positioning - lots of subtle rotations and twisting.

Moral of the story - wipers working like a charm!

Now I need to find something to do with a linkage and motor that parks 10 degrees up.

Thanks again for this thread!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #31
Tony3series

"Now I need to find something to do with a linkage and motor that parks 10 degrees up."

This is what mine did and it can be fixed! I saved about $400 by tweaking a few things. It's hard for me to explain what I did, I didnt take step by step pics so it won't be a perfect DIY, but I'll try. My wipers work absolutely perfect now. No need to buy a new motor just because they park 10*, 20* 45* etc degrees up!

Before I write this out I will also say I'm not responsible if you mess up your car. This is just what I did to my car and it worked. If you do this, it is at your own risk, I will not be held responsible for damage to your car.

Watch this video (Hopefully it'll load up on here) and pay attention to the direction the motor runs when you have your wipers on. Make note of it use a marker and write it on the linkage with an arrow if you have to. It's helpful to note the position that the linkage parks in before you take the motor and linkage out of your car. It will help you remember the way everything rotates when you get towards the end of the fix. Take lots of pictures HaHa it helped me out a ton.

Below you'll see where my motor decided to park. After you take the linkage and motor out you have to remove the nut that I pointed to in this picture below to free the linkage from the spline.

I have a feeling that the pic below shows what's really going on when the linkage goes out of whack. My wipers started parking across the windshield after trying to remove heavy snow with the wipers one day. The spline in the picture below was definitely slipping, and stripping a bit. There were small bits of metal shavings around it, as well as in the female part of where the spline is bolted to. I cleaned the grease and shavings off with some simple green on both the male and female part of the spline/linkage.

Here's a better shot of the spline and motor from further out. This "spline" thing is what spins when the motor is running and is what turns the linkage.

This thing attaches here HaHa You can see where the linkage bolts up to the spline. The motor for the windshield wipers seems pretty damn strong, so when trying to work under heavy snow/ice, I can see how it would just keep turning causing the spline to slip, and strip.

OK now this is the tricky part.... I don't remember if when looking at this part of the motor if it spins clockwise or counter clockwise. That's why it is important for you to note where your linkage stops when parked and what direction you linkage spins when your wiper motor is running.

Basically two little metal prongs circled in red in the picture below swipe across the disk in a circle. Once they hit the metal part of the disk the wipers park there. You need to line up the brushes to stay within the metal disk to get the motor to be in "park" by spinning the motor by hand. Since the linkage is already detached it should be easier to spin the motor. I circled in blue where you can spin the shaft to make the motor move.

Now that I think about it and see all the pictures I'm pretty damn sure that when looking at the motor the white disk turns clockwise so you should line up the metal prongs with the red dots I marked on the metal disk.

(If for some reason I'm wrong and it spins Counter-clockwise line up the metal prongs with the purple dots.)

Once you've done this do not allow the motor to spin or move or else you'll mess up where the prongs line up. The prongs must be in the proper start position or else you'll end up with your wipers parking in the wrong spot.

Now that everything is lined up and you've got the casing back together and snapped tight its time to reattach the linkage.

Put the linkage back together but dont tighten the nut down that holds the linkage/spline together. Line up the linkage WITHOUT MOVING THE MOTOR like in the picture from realoem.com

Once you've got it looking exactly like this without moving the motor now you need to secure the linkage so it doesnt move when you tighten the linkage/spline nut. I just used some strong clamps I had laying around.

Now tighten the nut down to secure the spline of the motor and the linkage together. I dont know what the torque specs are supposed to be so I just got it on there pretty damn snug (basically tightened the **** out of it).

If for some reason you feel like you moved the motor when tightening just unsnap the case and peek inside to make sure the prongs are still touching the metal disk in the park position.

Now reinstall the whole rig back in your car and test to see everything is working!

Hopefully this helps someone save some $$$$$$$$

Sorry for the rambling notes, its hard to describe, but once you get in there it should all make sense.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Tony3series; 08-30-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #32
SaturnX

@Tony3series Awesome work there!! I ended up grabbing a new linkage/motor from a local wrecker with low KM. I'll definitely try this with my old linkage/motor - always good to have a backup! Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #33
emBMW87

My Ride: 1987 325is
checking the linkage?

Super helpful, thanks all!

I replaced the motor but the wipers were still sticking, im guessing this is why the previous motor burned out. I now have the linkage back out and while i dont see any rust and all the pivot points are greased and look ok if feels bit stiff but moves smoothly....how freely should it move/pivot? not too keen on replacing the linkage if i dont have to!

Thanks!!
emBMW87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #34
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
I just took out my windshield wiper linkage to make some more room for working on my blower motor replacement, and this writeup is spot on. Make sure that you get a 15/16" or 24mm long socket, because conventional sockets won't be able to reach the shallow bolts that hold the assembly in place. The 10mm screw and washer on bottom side of the cowl is not too hard to reach, but it does take some time to extract. Of course you will want to be very careful that this part does not fall down, else you may have a difficult time finding it again.

Thanks to OP for the excellent writeup and for everyone else's insight. I did not stop my wipers at the 12 o'clock position as suggested by some members here. I think that the home position is a little different now, but it's not having any bad effects on the wiper movement. In fact, all vibration that was once in my wipers has stopped. Now I only hear the sound of the wiper blades switching direction at the end of movement. Wonderful!

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #35
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Here is what mine does.. I cannot get it to park the wipers down below.

The cycle goes down, full sweep back to park (~2oclock). Then again down, full sweep up, back to 2oclock..
Please help me fix this issue its driving me nuts!

jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #36
Tony3series

jeepo23 not sure if you've already fixed this but the write up I did above should fix your problem as well. Your motor is not parking in the right spot. Try to follow my rambling post above and it should help you.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #37
dcaron999

My Ride: 2002 330xi
My my 2002 330xi passenger side wiper arm wobbles around, and does not apply enough pressure on the winshield, to wipe it clean across the surface. It leaves a dirty spot in the middle of the windshiled only. Would this be caused by a worn out linkage or damping washer? Thanks for your input.
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #38
safly325i

My Ride: 03 BMW 325i
Any definitive answer on whether or not the metal prongs inside the motor should be lines up with the red or purple dots in the picture? I just took my old one apart and now I wish I didn't bother buying a new used linkage, this is real easy to do.
safly325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #39
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Im gonna do this DIY on the weekend everything seems straight forward. Just is it possible to remov the linkage without taking off the windshield cowl? I've replaced mine and I'm just concerned that the clips will break when I remove it.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #40
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Not to bump an old thread, but thank you very much for this DIY. I did this today.

I did it with very minimal tools. I could not find a deep-socket 15/16" or even a wrench of that size, so I actually used the adjustable wrench in our own toolkit! Worked like a charm. Getting it back on, though, was a real pain and I chewed up the driver's side nut pretty good. But hey, it worked.

Getting the assembly out required me to remove the blower motor cover. Even then, I could barely maneuver it in and out, I had to really push down on the assembly to get the prongs through the hole. I was a little worried I might break the plastic housing around the blower motor, but it was all okay.

Everything is a very, very tight fit. The hardest part for me was the reinstallaton. The plastic/rubber seals that sit on the actual wiper linkage themselves proved to be the hardest part of the DIY. The retaining nuts did not want to go over them.

The best way to deal with this is to take them off. Remove the plastic snap ring and the washer that holds the seal on, then take the wiper linkage nut and run it through a few times. This should help, but it was an absolute pain to get them on. Soapy water helped some, too.

You can get away without having a 15/16" wrench, but it makes your job a hell of a lot harder. I'm just glad to have it done.

I had to replace mine because it was binding and chattering at the top and bottom of its travel. I believe the motor was going bad, but I haven't taken it apart to look yet. The first thing I noticed after I tested it was how quiet this motor is. It's really, really silent.

Last edited by Zell; 08-24-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote