E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Rwright24

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
License plate

Hey peeps I am new to the forums got my first bimmer in may but I hate haveing a front license plate. But recently I deceded to put a german license plate on it. Yeah I am being lazy but I figured why not start my first post off with a dumb question. Wanted to know if it is legal to have an german plate on the front and a legal texas plate on the back. Both will have my normal 7 digets on them
Rwright24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
in CA its still illegal. but who gives a just do it it looks better
Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
InTheBeams

My Ride: 02 330i Sport Pkg.
If i lived in LA or southern cali id put a euro plate on the front of my car also but the stupid cops in northern cali will pull me over cuz they dont have anything better to do
..Might still do it anyways though it looks so sick!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBeams View Post
If i lived in LA or southern cali id put a euro plate on the front of my car also but the stupid cops in northern cali will pull me over cuz they dont have anything better to do
..Might still do it anyways though it looks so sick!
exactly my point ! NorCal cops especially in cupertino and saratoga area are

but do it
Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
Rwright24

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
Oh have yall been to dallas texas the worst they will try to find any thing but I am a bit of a problem child so f it Iam goona do it. I like to make my ride a lil unique and I haven't seen any one with them yet so why not.
Rwright24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
younGun392

My Ride: S.L.O.W
Do what best suits the car but remember to stay sly! Look out for cops, you never know when the b*stards shine!
younGun392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
If they still make them, you could always try using your rear plate number as the front euro plate. Here in Alabamie, you don't need a front plate at all, so you can put anything you want on the front. I just did a quick search:

How many license plates am I required to display?
State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined.

*This guidance is referenced in TXDOT's requirements to properly display the registration certificate. DPS does not inspect the license plate itself, but instead inspects the license plate lamp.

That might give you some wiggle room if you get pulled over.

Then again, if the cop wants to write a ticket, they're gonna.....

EDIT:
They can write the ticket:
Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961

Last edited by Brucifer325; 09-01-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Brucifer325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Shmo

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to Shmo Send a message via MSN to Shmo Send a message via Yahoo to Shmo Send a message via Skype™ to Shmo
In Texas not only must your front license plate be visible, but it must be at the front of the vehicle. (basically on the front bumper somewhere, not on the dash)

That being said, I just put the plate delete strip on the front It just depends how police are in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You did pray to your BMW shrine first, asking the Great Roundel for guidance on parts' choices first, right?

Last edited by Shmo; 09-01-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
SHOoff11

My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
Order the euro tag with your number, then keep the legit front one in the car. Maybe they will let you slide, Idk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Bimmer App

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black
1983 BMW 733i 5MT Schwarz/Cardinal

Sold: 1999 328i sedan Alpine White/Sand
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
sebbyk15

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330ci
i have the same set up here in chicagi, euro in front, state plate in back. Ive been driving like this for a yaer and problems so far. Though, i did rig the old front plate to clip onto the euro when i park on thee streets because i know the chicago depaetment of revenue will ticket you for no front IL issued plate.
sebbyk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
Nope, State Troopers are gonna LOVE ya!! Take it off and put the TX one on.

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote