E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #81
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
You sir, are retarded. All recalls and similar work do pay the techs. Why do you think car companies lose money when they recalls? Because they have to pay the techs for the fix and pay for any parts needed. Might want to check your info before you post crap like that.
The world is full of ex-mechanics (ask around), you'll ruin a perfectly good hobby if you are a service tech. Once you go to school and buy a bunch of tools, it's hard to quit. if you're supporting a family, it's near impossible. I don't know many techs who like their jobs. The FLAT RATE system pretty much means that you're either doing totally routine things, and making money, or doing something interesting and not. People don't like to pay for diagnostic work, and it can be time - consuming. I think the only way I'd do that again, is a fleet- service job (pays by the hour), I did it for seven years, but went back to peeling logs (by hand, with a knife) pays about as well, few tools to buy, nobody wanting the cheap fix, then demanding the deluxe guarentee. I found it absolutely relaxing, after mechanic work. A job is about making money- study something profitable, and in demand. The only reason it's possible to find an auto mechanic, is because many young guys want to try it.

Recall work depends on the dealer, they demand the deluxe guarentee but WONT pay you if the car is returned, because they pressured the greenhorn tech to finish the job in 30 minutes. I guess it may just depends on where you work, I never worked at BMW but I can assume its the same as everyone else...FLAT RATE pay.

I went to check to see if my BMW had already been serviced by the recall and it looks like they just cut the brown ground apart, attached a 2 prong clip and ran dual grounds, one to the original plug and one to the bulb grounds. Nothing different than thats already been explained DIY on here except there is a union clip joining the two wires rather than wraping them together. Regardless, both are great fixes and I would recommend either. (7yr experience Electrical Engineering tech and Automotive repair)

Last edited by Loaded325i; 09-03-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #82
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
I was a tech for about 8 years

And yes, I hated it cause you can get screwed too easily. That is why I work in parts now. But, I would like to know what car company makes a tech do a recall for free? Never seen that at all the numerous different car companies I have worked for.

90% of the dealers I have worked for , the techs didn't make much money (which is why I got out if it), but I'll say most of the BMW techs are making decent money at the dealer I work at now.

Oh and just so everyone knows the recall they put out is ONLY on sedans.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #83
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
It depends on the dealer/manufacture agreements. Most companies pay their dealers fixed shop reimbursement rates for any recall type work. No real dealer on the planet would absorb that hit. Now, the fixed reimbursement may be even to or below actual time for the scope of work. In this case, quality of work may be questioned where the tech is rushed to not lose money. Been there - done that.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #84
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
I know it doesnt say any E46 M3s are affected.......

Wonder if they are. Is this for NON LED Tails only?
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #85
TallTravel

My Ride: E46/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
I've got news for them! My 01 330ci had the same issues! They were corrected by replacing the tail tight bulb holder assemblies. End of problem and $150 of of my pocket.
I had precisely the same problem. Mine is a 2001 330ci (Coupe). I paid to have mine fixed also.
TallTravel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #86
InTheBeams

My Ride: 02 330i Sport Pkg.
Guess ill be putting my old red/yellow/red stock tail lights back on and going to the dealer for the fix. Never have seen a problem with my tails yet but better safe than sorry
Old 09-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #87
330ciandr6

Only on sedans as of right now
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #88
Loaded325i

Quote:
I was a tech for about 8 years

And yes, I hated it cause you can get screwed too easily. That is why I work in parts now. But, I would like to know what car company makes a tech do a recall for free? Never seen that at all the numerous different car companies I have worked for.

90% of the dealers I have worked for , the techs didn't make much money (which is why I got out if it), but I'll say most of the BMW techs are making decent money at the dealer I work at now.

Oh and just so everyone knows the recall they put out is ONLY on sedans.
When I worked at lexus we had to deal with a valve train issue where the springs and shims needed to be replaced. I recall an incident where a customer brought a vehicle back and complained of a rattle on cold start up, ended up the greenhorn mechanic used the recalled part numbers that somehow where still in stock to repair the vehicle. This resulted in a free repair without pay, sadly this happened on other occasions where bandaids were performed and we had to put a guarentee on the repair in our name. It was terrible, and it almost ruined a perfectly good hobby. I fix and rebuild diesel generators and fix logging equipment out in the middle of nowhere, and to be honest...Ive never been happier to work outdoors, except in the winter time...it can be quiet cold and I hate busting my knuckles up when my hands are freezing.

Last edited by Loaded325i; 09-03-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #89
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
I bought my 2003 exactly three years ago and it had the rear light out indicator glowing at the time.
A little bit o' searching on this website & bingo. Problem solved. Who needs the dealer ???
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #90
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
i'm calling BMW in Canada here to see if they are aware of the recall yet as my tail light situation has got worse.
it went from not recognizing the bulb i had replaced even though it still lit up to all them not lighting up except turn signal
when originally getting the light out bulb i checked for any melting and did not see or smell any like i did on the driver side when i added the additional ground wire.
will check that today to see if it's finally melted or not.

Last edited by Mr_325; 09-04-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #91
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
This is probably a stupid question but is this why you see a lot of e46s where some of the tail light bulbs are dimmer than others? Because of poor grounding?
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #92
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBeams View Post
Guess ill be putting my old red/yellow/red stock tail lights back on and going to the dealer for the fix. Never have seen a problem with my tails yet but better safe than sorry
Do you think they'll be that rough about it? I mean it should only be the assemblies they're concerned about right? Or will they be finding any excuse to not warranty it...
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #93
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Quote:
Only on sedans as of right now
Can you find out what the mechs/dealers will do about already "repaired" vehicles to fix the grounding problem? I did the spade connector repair for the ground to the ground side bar on the lighting housing done on here and am wondering if/what will arise when I bring that into a dealer.

P.S. I'm a tech and our foreman helped with the job, he thought it was a good repair. I'd take the BMW repair if I can, but am confident in what I have now.

P.P.S. I only did the driver's side, passenger still looks fine, would they do only 1 side?
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #94
Loaded325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
Can you find out what the mechs/dealers will do about already "repaired" vehicles to fix the grounding problem? I did the spade connector repair for the ground to the ground side bar on the lighting housing done on here and am wondering if/what will arise when I bring that into a dealer.

P.S. I'm a tech and our foreman helped with the job, he thought it was a good repair. I'd take the BMW repair if I can, but am confident in what I have now.

P.P.S. I only did the driver's side, passenger still looks fine, would they do only 1 side?
Read my previous post, there is a picture of what bmw does lol
Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #95
rwall

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Again, nice and simple: does this defect affect e46s with factory LED tails?
rwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #96
330ciandr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwall View Post
Again, nice and simple: does this defect affect e46s with factory LED tails?
No, only sedans. Read.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #97
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
Mines fix I am not taking my car to the dealer at all. I can not stand them and do not want them touching my car. I swear when I ask them simple questions about the engine or performance type things that they should Know they either say well with only deal with DINAN or We Can Give Any Information on that. Stupid they couldnt even Flash my car to EU2 Software they never even knew they could! Pretty dumb.
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:38 AM   #98
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded325i View Post
When I worked at lexus we had to deal with a valve train issue where the springs and shims needed to be replaced. I recall an incident where a customer brought a vehicle back and complained of a rattle on cold start up, ended up the greenhorn mechanic used the recalled part numbers that somehow where still in stock to repair the vehicle. This resulted in a free repair without pay, sadly this happened on other occasions where bandaids were performed and we had to put a guarentee on the repair in our name. It was terrible, and it almost ruined a perfectly good hobby. I fix and rebuild diesel generators and fix logging equipment out in the middle of nowhere, and to be honest...Ive never been happier to work outdoors, except in the winter time...it can be quiet cold and I hate busting my knuckles up when my hands are freezing.
This and many other stories I've heard is why I never considered becoming a mechanic. All I hear is crappy pay, no pay on warranty work, rushing etc. The only way to make money as a mechanic is to be self employed and or run your own shop.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 09-05-2011 at 02:40 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:40 AM   #99
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallace530 View Post
Mines fix I am not taking my car to the dealer at all. I can not stand them and do not want them touching my car. I swear when I ask them simple questions about the engine or performance type things that they should Know they either say well with only deal with DINAN or We Can Give Any Information on that. Stupid they couldnt even Flash my car to EU2 Software they never even knew they could! Pretty dumb.
That doesn't surprise me. Dealerships wouldn't bother.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:45 AM   #100
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
And the wiring has been problematic for most of the life of the E46 and BMW knows this and already has an updated part for the facelift cars. As far as the pre-facelift cars I know my 323 has wrecked a few bulb carriers already…

It's one of those things, they tried too hard to cheapen their cars and ended up with the E36. Sure, the E46 is better built in a number of ways, but there was still some wacky cost cutting going on.
yep, weak upper strut towers, weak rear subframe...

Tags
e46, recall, tailights