E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
IL IN MI MN OH WI

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
xGeegx

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328Ci
Talking Looking for a good painter

Hey Fanatics, I have an E46 that I need painted desperately. Local body shops around my area want to charge me $3,000+ and I just do not have that kind of money. So I am looking for someone who could paint my car. I'll come to you and I'll bring the paint and supplies. Price is negotiable
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
jhofer

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Might want to mention where you are located?
jhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
bmwdrifter
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
The White Mandingo

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhofer View Post
Might want to mention where you are located?
Can you not read U.S.A!!! j/j
Old 08-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
jhofer

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Oh yeah USA. My bad....I didn't see that
jhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
xGeegx

Ha it's all right, I should have mentioned more closer to the location of where I am at. I am located in northern Ohio but more than willing to drive out of my way to receive quality work And you said bmwdrifter Steven, I'll send a PM, thanks! Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
ohh well ohio never mind hes in socal since your sig says usa
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
xGeegx

I also posted this in the Great Lakes section lol
Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
M3PowerPlay

My Ride: 2002 M3 - 1998 M3-4
Send a message via AIM to M3PowerPlay
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGeegx View Post
I also posted this in the Great Lakes section lol
What is your budget and are you looking to respray the entire car? Are there repairs that need to be made to the body, or is it ready to prime and re-spray? Asking because I may know someone depending on your budget.

Bilstein PSS9's - BBS LM-R's - Toyo Proxes T1R's - Powerflex Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - Smoked Corners & Markers - Black Gills & Kidney Grills - Evosport Headers - Custom Performance Innovations CRT - VF-Engineering Street Sport Supercharger - 50% Tint
M3PowerPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Interested in this as well OP.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
xGeegx

Well I am looking to respray the whole car. There are no repairs to the body whatsoever (a few dings on the roof, but I might put CF wrap on it.) I can work with the painter by helping to sand down the parts and prime them before going out to meet them. The only thing I am iffy about is making the paint look good. I can supply the paint and drive to wherever the painter is located (within reason). I'd like to spend maybe $500, just to spray on the paint, but I don't know where my spending limit will be exactly. It depends on the quality of work, location of the painter and cooperation and communication. We can however negotiate the price if all of these variables go above and beyond what I'm looking for Will of course recommend to friends if I love it, and I'm impressed with nearly anything
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGeegx View Post
Well I am looking to respray the whole car. There are no repairs to the body whatsoever (a few dings on the roof, but I might put CF wrap on it.) I can work with the painter by helping to sand down the parts and prime them before going out to meet them. The only thing I am iffy about is making the paint look good. I can supply the paint and drive to wherever the painter is located (within reason). I'd like to spend maybe $500, just to spray on the paint, but I don't know where my spending limit will be exactly. It depends on the quality of work, location of the painter and cooperation and communication. We can however negotiate the price if all of these variables go above and beyond what I'm looking for Will of course recommend to friends if I love it, and I'm impressed with nearly anything
Soooo you want to spend $500 on labor and material?!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
xGeegx

No, I just want to spend $500 (or more) on labor alone, just for someone to spray the paint on my car. I will cover all other expenses.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
jacobs323i

My Ride: blown 323i
you will never find a professional or even someone that does good quality work to spray your car for 500. It needs to be primed, usually two coats of finish then a clear coat. If you are going same color then you can skip the primer and do just pne top coat but no matter what you need to do a clear so, even the chap way requires 2 good coats. If you want to pay 500 go to maaco! By the way you drive a beamer not a honda dont skimp on the paint.
jacobs323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
codyfunk

Yeah I just spent 2700 and I did all the disassembly and reassembly, pulling doors door panels bumpers, etc. And it was a good friend of mines shop. You will not find a quality paint job for less than that, especially if you don't know the painter personally and getting the "hook up"
Old 09-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
voidopolis

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG Vert
What is wrong with the current paint that you need to respray? Have you considered doing a "paint correction" instead of doing a respray? (check out the detailing forums for some examples of what you can do with a good set of polishing tools) a paint correction might be more in line with your budget and if you don't need any bodywork might be just as good of a final result. Heck, you could try it yourself if you so desire.

hello to a fellow Northern Ohio member
voidopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
xGeegx

Well, like I said I'm willing to go up on my price, its negotiable. I'd be willing to pay 2 grand, but it's always nice to find something lower on price you know? The only reason I want it painted desperately right now is because I recently installed a new front and rear bumper, skirts, new front fenders and a new hood. That's more than half of my car that needs to be painted and I've always loved Alpine White... My only dilemma is that I hate to drive her the way she's looking now, with half of the parts gray and black, so it's tempting to just go to Maaco, get a quick paint job so its all one color and then save up for a proper paint job.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #18
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
You're looking at a really shitty paint job if you only want to pay 2 grand. This probably isn't the best way of going about getting a nice car painted. Take the bumpers/trim off yourself and bring the car in 'ready to go' to save a couple hundred bucks. Anything beyond that, you need someone willing to do free work for you

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
codyfunk

Yeah 2k is realistic for a good body kit spray and install dont do a whole color change without looking to spend 4000.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #20
xGeegx

I know this, all I want is for someone to spray. I can remove all the body parts, sand them down and spray primer on. All I need done is the final two coats. And I've heard of some friends getting their whole car resprayed for 2-3k and it looked fantastic. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for people or shops that does good work. I can deal prices with them, I just wanted some suggestions...

Tags
color, paint, paint job, painter, wtb