E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #81
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
I didnt mean Bs, I just meant something's off. Your max should theoretically be at 315 or so if youre really doing 275x5 without help.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #82
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
You're doing 275 for 5 and cant bench 300? I'm calling bs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Could be though. I pulled 445 for a set of 5 and then couldnt get 475 for 1 a few weeks laters. Things start getting strange when you approach your maxes sometimes. Either that or hes been building up and just hasnt taken a shot at 300 yet. Thats kind of where I am with bench right now..... maxed out at 295 in March and havent again since. I did do a 5x5 at 260, so I'm confident I can get at least 305.
Basically what Glight said. This is the first time I've hit 275 for 5... usually floated between 2-3.

25 pounds doesn't seem like a lot but I could barely bench 275x1 3 weeks ago... I just started lifting after a pretty extensive break, slowly getting back up there.

I'm wondering if I should start with incline bench, then decline, then flat... I feel burnt out by the time I'm on decline... Might be nice to confuse the muscle a little bit and change it up. My bench has always been weird, I'll feel like a beast one week, and won't be able to do what I just did the following.

If not, I'm going to try for 295 max next week with a spot.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #83
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
he's also using chains, which looks like about 50kg of chains on each side? He's beasting out. That puts a lot of pressure on your lower back/abs.
Looks nice doing those with the cambered bar as opposed to a straight oly bar..... something else to put on the wish list.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #84
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
Basically what Glight said. This is the first time I've hit 275 for 5... usually floated between 2-3.

25 pounds doesn't seem like a lot but I could barely bench 275x1 3 weeks ago... I just started lifting after a pretty extensive break, slowly getting back up there.

I'm wondering if I should start with incline bench, then decline, then flat... I feel burnt out by the time I'm on decline... Might be nice to confuse the muscle a little bit and change it up. My bench has always been weird, I'll feel like a beast one week, and won't be able to do what I just did the following.

If I were you I would test my max next week and then start doing a 5x5 every 10 days or so with 75 - 80% of your max and add 5lbs every time through. Give it 4 or 5 months of steady progress and you'll be doing multiple sets and reps at 315. No need to confuse things and add incline / decline / flyes / etc. in my opininon. Just do some speed sets at 50% when you're done and call it a day. Pushups for some maintenance every few days which is probably a good idea if you are looking at USMC.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #85
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #86
DME46

Quote:
If I were you I would test my max next week and then start doing a 5x5 every 10 days or so with 75 - 80% of your max and add 5lbs every time through. Give it 4 or 5 months of steady progress and you'll be doing multiple sets and reps at 315. No need to confuse things and add incline / decline / flyes / etc. in my opininon. Just do some speed sets at 50% when you're done and call it a day. Pushups for some maintenance every few days which is probably a good idea if you are looking at USMC.
Sounds good, I will definitely try this. Thank you!

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #87
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
I had to youtube these, they look fvcking intense. I may have to incorporate some of these into my weekly split, or put them for an off day on the weekends.

Wish I had someone to train me and show me the right techniques.
Quote:
he's also using chains, which looks like about 50kg of chains on each side? He's beasting out. That puts a lot of pressure on your lower back/abs.

yeah mine are a little different. i dont go so slow up, i try to throw it back.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. Could be though. I pulled 445 for a set of 5 and then couldnt get 475 for 1 a few weeks laters. Things start getting strange when you approach your maxes sometimes. Either that or hes been building up and just hasnt taken a shot at 300 yet. Thats kind of where I am with bench right now..... maxed out at 295 in March and havent again since. I did do a 5x5 at 260, so I'm confident I can get at least 305.
3 rep set should be your max. just use one of the calculators. 1 rep max is bs to me. like i did a 3 rep max of front squats of 325 and it equaled like 375? and 285 on powercleans 3 tim es was 313 or some shiet i cant remember. but thats the way to go.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #88
BreakMyWallet

gonna post a great leg workout later i think. feel like gettin after it.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #89
BMW_Matt

Quote:

No, start with flat, and IMO drop decline if youre doing dips.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #90
DME46

Quote:
No, start with flat, and IMO drop decline if youre doing dips.
I keep dips for an extra tricep workout, since most of my benches are done with a slightly wider than normal grip (77" wingspan) and hit my chest/shoulders more than triceps.

I've done a combination of many workouts; flat/incline/decline, incline/dips/cable crossovers, ect... I love decline and I can't leave out dips.

Maybe I'll start doing weighted dips and alternate between that and decline every other week.

Dips are beast, I love ending with them since it pretty much covers everything in flat/incline/decline. I like burning out since I only workout my chest once every week, I feel like I have to kill myself.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #91
BMW_Matt

Do you do wider grip dips or close ones?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #92
DME46

Quote:
Do you do wider grip dips or close ones?
I'm not sure what they would be considered to be honest, there is a dip/leg lift rack that I use for dips. I forgot the brand name, but my hands are basically at shoulder width, if that helps. I keep my body perfectly straight when doing them.

Wait... I guess that would be narrow... since my hands are basically at my side.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal

Last edited by DME46; 09-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #93
BreakMyWallet

had a great workout today. ill post the workouts and explain after

- RDL + Clean + box jumps- 185 LB- 3x8

- Goblet squats + reverse rotational lunge + box jumps- 125LB DB- 3x6

- Plyo Dive Bombers + Spiderman push-ups + box jumps- 3x10

used Glight's advice and did 10 box jumps in between each rep.

for the first set. i would do a shrug then a hang clean. that would be one rep.

for the second set, i would go a goblet squat, lunge to each leg. that would be one rep.

for the third, i would do a diebomber, then spidermans to both sides, that would be one rep.

i would recommend this workout to anyone, ended up being one of the best workouts ive had in a while.

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 09-09-2011 at 12:12 AM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #94
BMW_Matt

Quote:
I'm not sure what they would be considered to be honest, there is a dip/leg lift rack that I use for dips. I forgot the brand name, but my hands are basically at shoulder width, if that helps. I keep my body perfectly straight when doing them.

Wait... I guess that would be narrow... since my hands are basically at my side.
Try finding a bar that has a wider grip. If you do wide grip dips, it's essentially working the same muscles that decline does. I've gotten rid of decline and still seen great shaping of the underside of my boobies.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #95
DME46

Quote:
Try finding a bar that has a wider grip. If you do wide grip dips, it's essentially working the same muscles that decline does. I've gotten rid of decline and still seen great shaping of the underside of my boobies.
Do you do weighted dips at all?

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #96
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
do you use the machine, or pile plates on your lap?
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #97
Glight

Quote:
Dip belt is what I used to use... or hold a db between my feet.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #98
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Yerp. Almost at 100lbs
Old 09-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #99
DME46

Quote:
Quote:
Dip belt is what I used to use... or hold a db between my feet.
This ^ ... I never use the dip/pull up machine... if I need help I just do negatives instead

Quote:
Yerp. Almost at 100lbs
Nice.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 09-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #100
BMW_Matt

Im not sure about weighted dips anymore. It puts so much pressure on your shoulders. I've stopped weighted for a bit.