E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
First project car- E24 vs E30..What's your opinion?

Well, I've been thinking of buying a project car. Weather is getting cool in Dallas and I'm thinking to do something as a side hobby-job for my college fund.
Since I do not have large project fund ($4k-8k max), so I started to look for old BMWs with few problems such as...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/2560872839.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2583376654.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2599365649.html

So, as you can see, they have bit of problems. Head gasket, power steering, etc..I'm going to replace most of old parts and bring the car back to excellent condition. Simply ambitious lol.

Problem is, I've never done this kind of project so called 'restoration'. I was never professionally trained nor do I have ample experience like 10~20 years or so. But I am quite mechanically inclined and a fast learner, do have access to numbers of equipments since my neighbor has fully-gadgetted garage. Lucky me.

Replacing head gasket and several other gaskets/o-rings and mechanical parts won't be hard as long as I follow procedures of service manual, but how hard will it be to do body restoration?
According to the owners of those E24s, they are cosmetically in great condition. No rust/no visible damages except tiny dings. I only plan to re-paint since I don't have any experience with body restoration at all.

So..If anyone has ample experience with high-level of repair jobs and this kind of restoration, please give me any advice! What I should be aware of, prepare, etc. It's my ambitious(but rubbish? lol) first step, I may rely on your advice a lot.

TIA
mack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
I would go for the e24 or a e28 before a e30.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
I would go for the e24 or a e28 before a e30.
Yeah I thought of looking for 5ers as well, but I'm more like a coupe/vert guy.
If you were planning a project, considering everything what would you choose between e24 and e28?
mack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
W///

My Ride: E30, E46, E92 M3
I've personally got an E30 convertible myself, as a project car:

I think it really depends what your goal is. Do you want just a nice car to drive around during the weekend or do you want an all our restoration? For me, I love the way the 6er look, but they are very hard to find around here. The E30 vert just fell in my lap so I went for that.

I overpaid a bit (but it is a 5MT and has a new top), but I just finished compiling a list of everything I want to do to it and we are looking at over $8k already. And the engine needs valve/head work so we might be on the same boat
W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
Emanuel

My Ride: '00 Z3C/'07 Z4MC
Given your budget contraints, I'd go with the E30. Parts are cheaper and more readily available (someone's always parting out an E30 somewhere) and we're seeing their values appreciate while the E24 is still stagnant. Your money will go farther with one, just make sure you buy well: an i or is rather than an e model, a 5-speed rather than an auto, ideally a coupe over a sedan (the cabs are getting pricey), something rough but not rusty. Good luck.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
I've got a 533i with a 745i motor and turbo swapped in for sale. I'm in Tyler.