E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Boosted Vanos Upgrades

Has anyone done anything with their Vanos units when adding boost to their cars? Been looking at the DrVanos but was wondering what else is out there, recommended and why?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Besian seals. Dr Vanos units are over priced.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
I'm also looking to replace (or upgrade) my Vanos. Would be curious to know if there are any options.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Dr. Vanos Cam Bolts
Dr. Vanos Cam Sprocket
Dr. Vanos Exhaust Hub
Beisan Systems Vanos Sealing Plate
Beisan Systems Vanos Solenoid
BMW Vanos Filter

That's what I would ideally like to do for my VANOS overhaul and preventative maintenance...but man it's expensive, haha.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Mine is really noisy while driving, or at least it's noticeable to people outside the car... Wonder if I need mine replace.. I ran it by HPF and they said it's normal with these kits so I don't really know what to do.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
I have an early HPF built motor. Did they bother to upgrade the Vanos at all when they did/do the rebuild. You would think at least the o rings wouldnt you?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
Commanderwiggin

I talked with HPFBranden today and he asked John about it and I guess they just do some seals and stuff...John didn't know anything about any upgrades or mods for the vanos.

I was impressed how the Dr.Vanos kits got rid of the ticking or knocking...but Dr.Vanos seems retarded expensive imo. Mine is only noticeable at startup but I do think that it has gotten louder over the last year but then again my hearing isn't what it used to be
Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
I did DrVanos right before my car was sent up to HPF
Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
I did DrVanos right before my car was sent up to HPF
And...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
MSpired

Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
And...
I don't know if DrVanos has come out with new products, but when I sent mine in, it was just for a complete rebuild. I needed it due because after the couple head gasket failures I had with the VF kit, the vanos was acting up. Probably due to all the milkshake that went through the vanos system.

So, did it make more power? Who knows since there was no before or after comparisons. I believe my car was one of the first 2.5's to make over 700rwhp, but I think that had more to do with the replacement in tank Bosch 044 rather than anything with the vanos. Some minor head work could also be attributed to that too though.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Its $1800 with a $600 core.. making it about $1200 right? Yeah thats expensive but not nearly as expensive as what they want for the intake/exhaust shafts.. and gears etc.. I priced a Dr.Vanos out today with all the upgraded gears/shafts/etc.. it was like $3k.. wtf

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #12
MSpired

Yea, I think I paid right around 1k for a full vanos rebuild... If you are building your motor and have high miles, especially if they are hard miles.... I think it's worth it for the peace of mind.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #13
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
So what happens if the Vanos is not replaced/rebuilt and it fails? According to John at HPF, the Vanos unit is suppose to be louder than normal due to the HPF's EMS. In other words the cars DME isn't able to quiet the Vanos unit down like it does in an M3 with no turbo. They also said the noise is usually louder with the rebuilt motors, stage 2.5 and up. Gave me peace of mind but I'm still afraid it will fail. What happens if the Vanos does fail?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I have an early HPF built motor. Did they bother to upgrade the Vanos at all when they did/do the rebuild. You would think at least the o rings wouldnt you?
the head and everything on it is left stock. HPF builds the bottom end to take boost, vanos maintenance has nothing to do with boost or power. I mean, very easily you could 'might as well' yourself to thousands of dollars of expenditures in little things like that on a motor... and i've definitely have been down that road a few times, and it's usually unnecessary.. but aren't inconel valves and ti retainers cool?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Commanderwiggin

Well I spoke with Raj from Beisan Systems a few moments ago and he has some very interesting things to say about the S54 Vanos.

Basically from what I gathered there was an earlier BMW euro engine design that had the general "Exhaust Tab" clearance set lower than the current S54 that uses the exact same setup minus the difference in clearance. The S54 tab clearance is higher which appears to cause more rattle and risks failure of these tabs. Raj is developing a sleeve kit to solve this and should be released soon.

In addition the bolts on the Intake side I believe are a common issue with rattling loose.

The solenoid failure is also another issue.

I believe he said the seals aren't the biggest issue but may as well replace them while we're in there.

From what I can summarize, a rattle kit, seal kit, solenoid kit, and some thread-locker on the the bolts for exhaust/intake sides is probably the best solution. I've linked this thread in an email to Raj so he can hopefully comment on it and reduce the amount of phone calls he gets as he's just in the process of finishing this up atm for product release.

And from what I can gather at a significantly lower cost than the Dr.Vanos kit which from what others have said is extremely overpriced for a basically stock OEM unit that has just been cleaned and could possibly yield the "Ticking timebomb" effect later.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 09-22-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Well I spoke with Raj from Beisan Systems a few moments ago and he has some very interesting things to say about the S54 Vanos.

Basically from what I gathered there was an earlier BMW euro engine design that had the general "Exhaust Tab" clearance set lower than the current S54 that uses the exact same setup minus the difference in clearance. The S54 tab clearance is higher which appears to cause more rattle and risks failure of these tabs. Raj is developing a sleeve kit to solve this and should be released soon.

In addition the bolts on the Intake side I believe are a common issue with rattling loose.

The solenoid failure is also another issue.

I believe he said the seals aren't the biggest issue but may as well replace them while we're in there.

From what I can summarize, a rattle kit, seal kit, solenoid kit, and some thread-locker on the the bolts for exhaust/intake sides is probably the best solution. I've linked this thread in an email to Raj so he can hopefully comment on it and reduce the amount of phone calls he gets as he's just in the process of finishing this up atm for product release.

And from what I can gather at a significantly lower cost than the Dr.Vanos kit which from what others have said is extremely overpriced for a basically stock OEM unit that has just been cleaned and could possibly yield the "Ticking timebomb" effect later.
There has been many cases of late model M's that had their exhaust tabs sheared off.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
There has been many cases of late model M's that had their exhaust tabs sheared off.
Yes that's one of the main issues it seems...the earlier euro design had a tighter clearance that isn't as prone to failure. Looser clearance...more knock...more failure.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
lutzperformance
Lutz Performance-FL BMW F/I

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3, 04 Z06
Send a message via AIM to lutzperformance
+1 for DR Vanos, we use them quite a bit!

Never had an issue, and they provide very quick professional service!
lutzperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #19
MSpired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzperformance View Post
+1 for DR Vanos, we use them quite a bit!

Never had an issue, and they provide very quick professional service!
x2

Their service when I dealt with them was top notch!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
faelar
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Has anyone done anything with their Vanos units when adding boost to their cars?
Delete the VANOS and have your cams re-ground with a wild turbo profile

The guys that get real serious about drag racing these S54's.. deleting the VANOS will end up making sense IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad@SaadRacing View Post
Chad's car is being taken care of and I can tell you when it comes back he and his car will be your worst f***ing nightmare.

Last edited by faelar; 09-22-2011 at 07:51 PM.
faelar is offline   Reply With Quote