E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
JJR4884's Meatballs and mashed potatoes

Wowwwwwwww its been a while.

Didn't take any pics until the dish was made, but i'll make this as detailed as possible.

Homemade meatballs with a corn/scallion mashed potato and a roasted tomato cream sauce

Meatballs:
1.20 lb ground beef, 80/20
1 egg
Eyeballed about 3/4 cup of bread crumbs (italian flavored)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1 small yellow onion, 2 cloves of garlic, both chopped and sweated before mixing
1/4 cup (est) of thinly sliced scallions
Little bit of EVOO
Few sprinkles of parsley and basil

Mix it up very well, let the meat sit for a bit in the fridge.

Potatoes: Cut up 3 russett potatoes in 1/8s, boil until cooked, drain ALMOST all of the water out. Added 3tbsp of butter, salt, pepper, some milk. Mash just a couple times with a potato masher, then use a big wooden spoon for mixing for the remainder... i like keeping some small whole pieces of potato, so i'll only mash a tad. Towards the end, i put about a 1/4 cup of slice scallions (use the greener part sliced thin) and a half cup of corn. Mix well... adds great flavor and texture to the potatoes.... the corn was awesome too.

Before you start all of this, get some tomatoes, quarter them, and roast them in the oven. In the mean time, get 1 cup of water and bring to a boil, add a half of beef/chicken bouillon (or whatever the ratio to 1 cup calls for) and reduce that down a little bit. Turn to simmer, add some light cream (1/2 cup maybe), wisk frequently, and have that thicken up a tad... tomatoes took about 30 min at 400 in the oven, so do them ahead of time and then add them to the sauce whenever... if the sauce needs a little thickening, add s little bit of flour...

Meatballs- form into balls the size of.. idk... half way between a golf ball and a tennis ball. I fried them in a little bit of veggie oil in a cast iron skillet. Let them burn a little bit, that deep golden brown is where its at. You'll have to cook the meatballs on 4 or so sides until the entire outside of it is fully crusted over with deliciousness. Word to the wise, use two tablespoons to flip, pick up, move, etc the meatballs. One spoon to push the meatball on, the other the push/guide it. If you use tongs or a spatula, good luck... you are going to either squeeze the shiit out of them causing them to split, or just make a mess using a utensil that is anything bigger than a spoon.

FYI I cooked this on med heat on an electric, i would suggest med-high on a gas stove.

Add your mashed to the dish, meatballs on the side, sauce, and then a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar

viola

pics coming soon, my phone is taking wayyyyyyyy too long to upload pics to photobucket