E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #1961
IHAZBMR

My Ride: '02 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSC View Post
I have a stand alone Sirius unit attached via the AUX in feature. Works very well. That is the only way I am aware of.

If I can figure out how to have a graphic on the aux display screen instead of the standard message it displays....it would be perfect.
It's just lame to have that big screen with all the features and then have to have another device attached somewhere else....do you have it attached to your dash somewhere?

'02 Ti Silver M3 SMG SoCal I.E.

Mods: 35% Ceramic tint, CF Wrap Interior, CF roundels, CF Shift Knob, Painted reflectors, Cell Phone holder, Euro mirrors, Dice Mediabridge, Sirius SC-C1

IHAZBMR's '02 M3 SMG
IHAZBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #1962
jamesbice

My Ride: 2001 M3
Hi all, first post, this is a great group and I have spent many hours trawling the boards as I have just bought an '01 M3. It's the ****.

Anyway I saw about these Dynavin units so I got on board and purchased one from a local supplier here in Australia.

My car has the old 4:3 TV and what I believe is the BM 23 radio. I also have a stacker, an analogue TV tuner and the amp for the Harmon Krapdon system (which I will have to upgrade at some stage, I thought it would be better!)

When I went to do my install, the fakra cable I was provided with had the flat pin connector that was incorrect for my car. I did some research, in this thread mainly, that said I had to splice the shorter cable onto my fakra cable that had the correct pin connector.

After I had done this I connected my adjusted fakra cable to the cabling in the back of my car, and without installing it in the interior hooked it up to the dynavin in the trunk. I also plugged in the antenna and rewired the battery. After I turned on the ignition in the car, my dynavin would not turn on.

There were several cables that I had yet to connect, which I will detail in the photos below. I could not find anywhere to plug these in. The pin connector that plugs into the existing radio had two other plugs that I haven't connected anything to, which is where I presume the wires are that I need.

[IMG]Computer\James's iPhone\Internal Storage\DCIM\800AAAAA\IMG_0803.JPG[/IMG]

This is how my fakra is currently installed

[IMG]Computer\James's iPhone\Internal Storage\DCIM\800AAAAA\IMG_0805.JPG[/IMG]

This is my radio unit where you can see where the two plugs go into that are different to the pin connector on my fakra cable.

[IMG]Computer\James's iPhone\Internal Storage\DCIM\800AAAAA\IMG_0810.JPG[/IMG]

This is my fakra with new cabling, do the wires on the plug at the bottom right need to be connected for it to function?

If anyone would be able to give me some advice it would be much appreciated. I presume that once this is done, my BM23 unit is redundant, so I can toss it.

Thanks in advance
jamesbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #1963
jamesbice

And my images haven't worked! Any advice on how to do that would be helpful too :p
Old 09-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #1964
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Host the images on a site like imageshack.us and then post the links here.

I had to do exactly the same on my car. Bm23, tv tuner and cd stacker is redundant after the install.
I've pulled my dvn out multiple times since installing it but I can't really get a good picture in my head of what you're referring to, get the pictures up and we'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:21 AM   #1965
jamesbice

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

This is my new fakra cable, the plug on the bottom left, I have nowhere for it to go

This is the business end of the BM23, you can see the pin connector and two square connectors below it, which with my current fakra cable are not being used. There are lots of wires that go into these two connectors.

This is how my boot looks gutted with only the HK amp remaining. You can see how the fakra plugs in. Not much more to see in this picture.

Hopefully this will rekindle a few memories!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #1966
Jall

The unused plug on the bottom left goes into the steering wheel control box which then plugs into the ir plug on the back of the dvn.

It looks like you've spliced the fakra cable properly, it's worth noting that for first turn on (from memory) you have to press/hold the left knob to switch the unit on.

You'll also need to splice into a wire from the blue connector from the original head unit at the dash to get illumination. From memory it's the blue/red wire and it needs to splice into the orange Dynavin wire but I'd have to check my notes.

None of this should stop the unit from operating though...
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #1967
jamesbice

Awesome. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow. Where is the steering wheel control box? Theres nothing I can find in the boot that it looks like it could connect to. Or is it, more logically, in the dash somewhere?

Hopefully I just didn't turn it on correctly!

Thanks heaps for the assistance mate, much appreciated.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #1968
Jall

The swc box should have cone with the Dynavin. About 1.5x2 inches of black plastic...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #1969
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAZBMR View Post
It's just lame to have that big screen with all the features and then have to have another device attached somewhere else....do you have it attached to your dash somewhere?
Pick up an XM Commander on ebay and place the screen in the ashtray. If you run the cable from the back you will be able to close it, and not see the screen. I got my XM commander off ebay for cheap, thats my plan when UMITZA gets their droid units in
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #1970
IHAZBMR

My Ride: '02 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
Pick up an XM Commander on ebay and place the screen in the ashtray. If you run the cable from the back you will be able to close it, and not see the screen. I got my XM commander off ebay for cheap, thats my plan when UMITZA gets their droid units in
Thanks, I'll look into that...

'02 Ti Silver M3 SMG SoCal I.E.

Mods: 35% Ceramic tint, CF Wrap Interior, CF roundels, CF Shift Knob, Painted reflectors, Cell Phone holder, Euro mirrors, Dice Mediabridge, Sirius SC-C1

IHAZBMR's '02 M3 SMG
IHAZBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #1971
jamesbice

So now I have integrated the steering wheel controller, and left the fakra cable as is, however the unit will still not switch on, even with the ignition turned up to position 2. The unit seems dead. When I was splicing the cable there were two identical green wires that I could not distinguish. When it didn't fire up the first time, I switched these green cables around.

I haven't fried my existing system as that all works when I plug it back in. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #1972
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbice View Post
So now I have integrated the steering wheel controller, and left the fakra cable as is, however the unit will still not switch on, even with the ignition turned up to position 2. The unit seems dead. When I was splicing the cable there were two identical green wires that I could not distinguish. When it didn't fire up the first time, I switched these green cables around.

I haven't fried my existing system as that all works when I plug it back in. Any ideas?
Have you checked the fuse on the Dynavin itself?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #1973
jamesbice

The fuse was blown surprisingly. And unfortunately they keep blowing. The one in it was rated at 10 amps which I presume is correct. I have checked my fakra cable and it is correct, apart from the two very similar green wires, however I think one of them is for the reverse and the other is from a speaker, so this being incorrect should not be an issue in getting the unit to turn on.

As soon as I plug in the fakra cable, without even the ignition being on, the fuse pops in front of my eyes.

So hopefully the fuse rating is incorrect, or I may have issues that I can't deal with. I'm still trying to run the unit in my boot, however my current headunit is disconnected so shouldnt be posing an issue.

Any more ideas? Cheers
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #1974
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
The fuse on the dynavin or the fuse on the fakra is blowing?

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #1975
jamesbice

The fuse on the dynavin, the inline fuse is fine.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #1976
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Bummer.... Something is shorting internally, contact your dealer for a repair or replacement.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #1977
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbice View Post
The fuse was blown surprisingly. And unfortunately they keep blowing. The one in it was rated at 10 amps which I presume is correct. I have checked my fakra cable and it is correct, apart from the two very similar green wires, however I think one of them is for the reverse and the other is from a speaker, so this being incorrect should not be an issue in getting the unit to turn on.

As soon as I plug in the fakra cable, without even the ignition being on, the fuse pops in front of my eyes.

So hopefully the fuse rating is incorrect, or I may have issues that I can't deal with. I'm still trying to run the unit in my boot, however my current headunit is disconnected so shouldnt be posing an issue.

Any more ideas? Cheers
The fuse on the Dyanavin is 10 amps. Dont try messing with a different fuse because you'll definitely void any type of warranty on it. As for the green wires there are two different types on the fakra. A solid green wire and a green wire with a black stripe on it I think. Check closely as you may have mixed them up.

Edit: Just saw which radio tuner you had. I never heard of the one youre using. Im only familiar with the BM53 and C43/

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^

Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 09-20-2011 at 11:56 PM.
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #1978
jamesbice

Bummer! Thanks to those who have replied for the help so far. I'll get on to my supplier and see what I can do. Will let you know how it all goes. Cheers
Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #1979
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAZBMR View Post
No, I don't have it visible. It is tucked in the back ashtray/storage bin behind the armrest and all the wiring is run under the center console. I agree that it is lame it isn't built in to the Dynavin....however, I knew this when I bought it and it is worth it to get my sirius (NFL network).

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #1980
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
I have seen this done and it looks good! Either behind the armrest or in the ashtray....both will keep your device out of site.

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote