E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 AM   #1
SkinEgg

My Ride: E46 330xi, Z4
tire spec for xi

I have a 330xi (all wheel drive) and running 18x8.5 breyton magic
just wanna know if i can put 225/40 in the front and 235/40 at the back??
or i should run 225 or 235 all the way around?

also, i want to know if i need to do alignment if i change my rims

thx
SkinEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
SteelBlueXI

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinEgg
I have a 330xi (all wheel drive) and running 18x8.5 breyton magic
just wanna know if i can put 225/40 in the front and 235/40 at the back??
or i should run 225 or 235 all the way around?

also, i want to know if i need to do alignment if i change my rims

thx
I wouldn't run a staggered setup. It dials in more oversteer and the AWD bimmers already oversteer a ton. I was in debate over the same thing. I went with 225s to reduce the chance of rubbing when I drop. 235s would probably be fine though.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
Karl
Engineer

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I think you mean it dials in more understeer? Staggered setups induce understeer, and BMWs understeer in stock setup because it is safer for the unexperienced driver.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl
I think you mean it dials in more understeer? Staggered setups induce understeer, and BMWs understeer in stock setup because it is safer for the unexperienced driver.
Um, yeah, that's what I meant. I just typed oversteer.

I also found an interesting article on tirerack.com about using different tires on AWD systems. Basically, you shouldn't. Let me go find the article...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...hingtires.html
Old 02-19-2004, 02:43 PM   #5
SkinEgg

thx for the info~~
i was running 225/40/18 all around before
but for some reason, my inner tires are wearing so fast , could this b/c of my alignment??? i didn't got my alignment after i lower but i do now

the problem i am having rite now is that running 225 on 18x8.5 will make the rim stick out ...the tires will be a little strech . would this a problem for lowered cars??? the tire shop i went to say that i need to mod my camber too??? since my wheel won't be straight even after i do alignment.

well.. is that mean getting new tire is a waste of money ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueXI
Um, yeah, that's what I meant. I just typed oversteer.

I also found an interesting article on tirerack.com about using different tires on AWD systems. Basically, you shouldn't. Let me go find the article...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...hingtires.html
Old 02-19-2004, 02:53 PM   #6
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
thx for the info~~
i was running 225/40/18 all around before
but for some reason, my inner tires are wearing so fast , could this b/c of my alignment??? i didn't got my alignment after i lower but i do now

the problem i am having rite now is that running 225 on 18x8.5 will make the rim stick out ...the tires will be a little strech . would this a problem for lowered cars??? the tire shop i went to say that i need to mod my camber too??? since my wheel won't be straight even after i do alignment.

well.. is that mean getting new tire is a waste of money ???
If you changed your suspension and didn't get an alignment, that would def. cause irregular tire wear.

I just got my 225s on 18x8.5 from tire rack. It shouldn't cause a problem if the car isn't lowered too much. I'm probably going to use a Dinan suspension and just let BMW deal with the setup. I don't think I want to put the time and effort into coilovers and it's about the same price.

The 225s on the 8.5s were a little stretched but not too bad. I think it's a very clean look. Just watch that rim when parking near curbs.

If you got a coil or spring kit made for your car and got an alignment done, I don't see why your camber wouldn't fall within factory specs. If it does there are parts out there to correct it, but you should be fine. Keep in mind BMW factory specs are NOT 0 camber. They're a little positive. Search around, you will find it.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
GeorgeXI

My Ride: '03 330XI Steel Grey
I'm using 234/40/18's on 18x8.5 BBS RGR Black Diamonds on my 330XI no problems at all. Plus the 235's fill out the rim a lot better, protects the rim too, and at a 25.1" diameter not much taller. 235 is actually a better size for a 8.5" rim.
GeorgeXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
SkinEgg

thx i think i will just keep my 225/40/18 tires...

why don't u go for KW V1 coilover ???
i got HR spring on my car and i parked to my freind's dinan XI
the drop is the same....well... yes u are getting "TWO" new shocks....which is a lot more ex*****ve.... well is ur choice...
i heard that koni is going to have aftermarket shocks parts for XI very soon.... which is the same shocks the Dinan setup got...

let me know what u think..^^ thx

Peter
Old 02-19-2004, 03:34 PM   #9
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
thx i think i will just keep my 225/40/18 tires...

why don't u go for KW V1 coilover ???
i got HR spring on my car and i parked to my freind's dinan XI
the drop is the same....well... yes u are getting "TWO" new shocks....which is a lot more ex*****ve.... well is ur choice...
i heard that koni is going to have aftermarket shocks parts for XI very soon.... which is the same shocks the Dinan setup got...

let me know what u think..^^ thx

Peter
The dinan kit comes with a sway bar too. I was thinking about V1 coils but like I said I don't want to deal with the setup and the ride is a little harsher. Other springs besides Dinan make the ride a lot harsher and wear out your shocks.. hence Dinan replacing them. I'm worried about the fronts, but if the fronts go I will replace them with the Konis when they come out to match the rear.

Can you post pics of your car? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
Choson1
Owner

My Ride: Keepin' it Real
I would recommend going 235/40R18's all around.
Choson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:15 PM   #11
SkinEgg

ohoh, so u are talking about the Dinan stage 2 rite?
haha.. icic.. yes it comes with sway bar too..haha
but the point is.... is more ex*****ve.... here in canada..if i get stage 1 and install it..of course by dinan so the warrently will retain... the cost is the same as HR coilover kit or KW coilover kit install outside.
if u are talking about stage 2... it will be more expneisve ..haha..~~
well.. the reason Dinan is not chanign the front shocks it b/c our shocks will last.... i dont' see why Dinan spring is better than H&R spring and which will make my shock weaR OUT faster...

but if u have the money... stage II is great..
i like those sway ..haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueXI
The dinan kit comes with a sway bar too. I was thinking about V1 coils but like I said I don't want to deal with the setup and the ride is a little harsher. Other springs besides Dinan make the ride a lot harsher and wear out your shocks.. hence Dinan replacing them. I'm worried about the fronts, but if the fronts go I will replace them with the Konis when they come out to match the rear.

Can you post pics of your car? Thanks.