E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 3.44 average.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #101
tcek

My Ride: BWM 325Xi - 2004
college kids..........tuition due............fancy cars...............expensive modifications...............high insurance rates..............time to go give daddy a big kiss and thank you
tcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #102
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
If you are a broke college kid.... sell your e46 (wallet buster) and get a toyota (reliable) or a ford mustang v6 (cheap parts).
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #103
KeegMac5621

My Ride: is rollin on BBS's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcek View Post
college kids..........tuition due............fancy cars...............expensive modifications...............high insurance rates..............time to go give daddy a big kiss and thank you
Go yourself, cause some kids actually work for their cars, insurance, gas, and their mods. They also earn scholarships and take out student loans to cover the difference. If you got a problem with college kids with BMW's why did you even open this thread? I know why, because you're typical ignorant

For the kids with parents that do pay for all things above, be grateful. Its expensive and I wish my parents would do that but they dont so Im jealous and its seems that "tcek" is as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnekkon View Post
This site is full of douchebags. Go to e46getalife.com

Last edited by KeegMac5621; 09-26-2011 at 11:46 AM.
KeegMac5621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #104
be-doubleyou

My Ride: 02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by [alsharifi] View Post
4th year Computer Science student at SDSU (San Diego).

Have had the car for about 2 months now.

Last one makes a sweet wallpaper
Now that i know what your car looks like i'll keep an eye you for it on campus. Looks clean

be-doubleyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #105
restore

My Ride: 2002 325i ZPP/ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeegMac5621 View Post
Go yourself, cause some kids actually work for their cars, insurance, gas, and their mods. They also earn scholarships and take out student loans to cover the difference. If you got a problem with college kids with BMW's why did you even open this thread. Typical ignorant
Agreed. I've been getting a load of flack from co-workers, family, and friends even though I've been working for two years.

"23 and a BMW? Bad decision. Did your parents help you pay for it?"

etc...

Maybe some young adults got financial assistance, but there are plenty of us who worked our tails off to purchase a special car and not a run-of-the-mill econo box. Cars and driving may be simply a means for getting from Point A to Point B. But for those of us who love cars, it goes way beyond that.

Last thing this thread needs are judgmental posters. Plenty of people in real life who already do that.
restore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #106
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Quote:
Go yourself, cause some kids actually work for their cars, insurance, gas, and their mods. They also earn scholarships and take out student loans to cover the difference. If you got a problem with college kids with BMW's why did you even open this thread? I know why, because you're typical ignorant

For the kids with parents that do pay for all things above, be grateful. Its expensive and I wish my parents would do that but they dont so Im jealous and its seems that "tcek" is as well.
+1, i bought the car myself and although my parents pay for tuition, i work to pay for any mods or maintenance.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #107
[alsharifi]

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by be-doubleyou View Post
Now that i know what your car looks like i'll keep an eye you for it on campus. Looks clean
Thanks man! I do love my car! It was very well kept by the previous owner. The only thing that bugs me right now is the ride height, it is not terrible, but I just cannot stand the gap!

Just waiting on my dad to write the check for my coil overs, fvcking slacker needs to hurry up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcek View Post
This is actually really funny. I would have no problem giving my "daddy a big kiss and thank you" if he bought me a car. I would have no problem with my parents paying for my car, education, bills, etc.

My family happens to be quite poor, and its all good. It forced me to develop a good work ethic, and I have always know that if I wanted to drive a nice car, have nice clothes, go to college I would have to work my ass off, and that is exactly what I do, and I am proud of it

Quote:

Don't let stuff like this get you worked up mayn, its only the internet!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #108
RXP rider

My Ride: E46 325Ci 04'
Its funny all the **** people will give us "College Kids" for having e46's when there are plenty of other newer cars offered by GM, Toyota, etc that cost even more. My freshman year roommate bought a new 2010 Mazada Speed 3, it doesn't have the perceived "status" of the BMW but he paid a lot more than I paid for my e46 when I purchased it.

There's plenty of new Suburbans/Tahoes, Jeeps, Camrys, Pruis, Foucs that are priced higher than the average 3 series

Last edited by RXP rider; 09-26-2011 at 02:24 PM.
RXP rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #109
[alsharifi]

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP rider View Post
Its funny all the **** people will give us "College Kids" for having e46's when there are plenty of other newer cars offered by GM, Toyota, etc that cost even more. My freshman year roommate bought a new 2010 Mazada Speed 3, it doesn't have the perceived "status" of the BMW but he paid a lot more than I paid for my e46 when I purchased it.

There's plenty of new Suburbans/Tahoes, Jeeps, Camrys, Pruis, Foucs that are priced higher than the average 3 series
Its actually kind of nice. I only paid $6500 for my car and when people see it they react like I bought it got $15000. I take it as a compliment
Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #110
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
School: Virginia Tech
Year: Senior
Major: Packaging Systems and Design
Car: 2002 Phoenix Yellow M3 owned for 1 year (sold the 2001 325i bought when I was 17)
How I afforded it: Sold my 2001 325i and worked 75 hour work weeks during summers since age 16...paid bills and set up an "M3" fund account using one of my savings accounts, I also partially financed a small amount of the M (less than 20% of total cost) to help boost my credit and not blow all my money into a car. Have received various scholarships and grants as well. Interned for 2 years and I often sell old things not in use on ebay to get extra money. Work part time during the school year. Ive made a few investments as well
Mods: OEM 18" wheel square setup, angel eyes, and TS muffler. Nothing fancy right now. Dont have the $ to drop on mods since maintenance and school are more important right now to me.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 09-26-2011 at 02:38 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #111
swoobies

My Ride: '03 M3
At my school, rich immigrants fill the lots with astons, maseratis, AMGs, and M cars. Those 13 high end luxury cars seized by police in Vancouver im guessing either go to my school or have close friends there.. An E46 really is nothing special depending on the area you live in.
swoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #112
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
School: Virginia Tech
Year: Senior
Major: Packaging Systems and Design
Car: 2002 Phoenix Yellow M3 owned for 1 year (sold the 2001 325i bought when I was 17)
How I afforded it: Sold my 2001 325i and worked 75 hour work weeks during summers since age 16...paid bills and set up an "M3" fund account using one of my savings accounts, I also partially financed a small amount of the M (less than 20% of total cost) to help boost my credit and not blow all my money into a car. Have received various scholarships and grants as well. Interned for 2 years and I often sell old things not in use on ebay to get extra money. Work part time during the school year. Ive made a few investments as well

Nice car bro to you working for your own car. And to all the haters out there, my parents offered to buy me a more expensive car but I decided to buy it on my own, helped me be more responsible etc. They pay for my tuition and my dad helps me with most of my maintenance. I am grateful to them.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #113
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Nice car bro to you working for your own car. And to all the haters out there, my parents offered to buy me a more expensive car but I decided to buy it on my own, helped me be more responsible etc. They pay for my tuition and my dad helps me with most of my maintenance. I am grateful to them.
Thanks, its really not difficult saving up for something within a decent price range when youre young. It just takes dedication and budgeting of finances to achieve the things you want to buy. It paid off though....I had to wait 3 years when I first decided I wanted an M3 over my 325i before I could finally pull the trigger on an M After this though my money will go into things like my retirement account and saving for a house after college. Mods will eat up money faster than you can blink.

Edit: And to be honest, as much as I wanted an M3 and had the money for one...I shouldve waited until after college to buy it that way I could afford another DD and not put all these miles on the M. Lesson learned though but the car has been a joy.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 09-26-2011 at 02:47 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #114
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

Quote:
Thanks, its really not difficult saving up for something within a decent price range when youre young. It just takes dedication and budgeting of finances to achieve the things you want to buy. It paid off though....I had to wait 3 years when I first decided I wanted an M3 over my 325i before I could finally pull the trigger on an M After this though my money will go into things like my retirement account and saving for a house after college. Mods will eat up money faster than you can blink.
Yeah that is true. Some of the car was bought with the money I got for graduation, it was my big graduation present to myself. Most of it was bought with money saved over the years. Owning a car really sets your priorities straight. Especially owning a BMW lol
Old 09-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #115
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Yeah that is true. Some of the car was bought with the money I got for graduation, it was my big graduation present to myself. Most of it was bought with money saved over the years. Owning a car really sets your priorities straight. Especially owning a BMW lol
Yeah it does. These cars are time consuming when you do your own maintenance and they require alot of care but its worth it imo...Ive driven alot of other cars and for the $ its hard to beat the driving feel of a BMW. Oh and I edited my post up there too haha.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #116
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

Quote:
Yeah it does. These cars are time consuming when you do your own maintenance and they require alot of care but its worth it imo...Ive driven alot of other cars and for the $ its hard to beat the driving feel of a BMW. Oh and I edited my post up there too haha.
Yeah The feel of a BMW is indescribable. All my friends who I let "test drive" my car say that the steering is heavy, but I like it. One of my friends even said it was fast compared to a v6 sonata and a tercel, really? A 323i haha. Anyways I just read your edit, I still think the m3 is a good DD as long as it is well maintained, in Hawaii many people DD expensive cars.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #117
RXP rider

My Ride: E46 325Ci 04'
Quote:
Yeah The feel of a BMW is indescribable. All my friends who I let "test drive" my car say that the steering is heavy, but I like it. One of my friends even said it was fast compared to a v6 sonata and a tercel, really? A 323i haha. Anyways I just read your edit, I still think the m3 is a good DD as long as it is well maintained, in Hawaii many people DD expensive cars.
Same with a few of my friends, but thats cause they drive front wheel drive cars. I started driving with a Honda Accord and it took no effort to whip the wheel around with FWD
Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #118
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Yup. I came from a VW GTI, and the first thing I noticed from the E46 is that the steering was much heavier. It's not a bad thing, it feels much more planted and stable than the GTI, especially in the rain.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #119
99 black gt

My Ride: 2000 OB 328i
I'm 27, but still a broke college kid

2000 328i with 130k (bought it with 110)

So far i have the LED lights and AE's, judge me on that.

It's just a DD for me, prolly gonna lower it a bit and put an updated oem cd player to get an aux jack and basically leave it alone.

Aside from going through two water pumps in 8 months, it's been a good car. Prolly keep it for another year till i graduate if everything goes right.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #120
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Thought I'd join

2003 325xi
116xxmiles
2 wrecks
Khaolty cheap AE/s.
Morimoto retrofit+blackout.
Long tube intake.
plasti dipped kidneys.
bayern mesh 18/squared setup.
Khumo ecsta SPTS
HR 10mm spacers.
stoptech race pads,Drilled and slotted rotors, and stainless steel lines.
Motul RBF fluid.
EU2 reflash.
resonator delete.
golf tee mod.
LEDS in and out.
CF trim.
OEM clears all around.

MAINTNENCE:
Inspection two myself.
CCV 2k ago
Control arms+busings 2k ago
VCG 2k ago
oil and filter every 3k
both front axles last weekend.
diffs/t-case fluids replaced with lucas 75w90

FUTURE/LAYING AROUND
M54b30 swap/s50b32 swap...they use the same oil pan bolt pattern/gasket and the pickup is in simmilar locations. ill decide once i get my college job goin.

Bilstein hds+hr sports all around.

new RSM's, and all mounts/bushings

BUILD THREAD:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=848440

Second year at Whatcom Community college, prolly gonna transfer to WWU or UW for ECON next year.

From Seattle, Ravenna

some pics:
right after rebuild.
Photobucket

Lights.
Photobucket

Intake.

Beyerns.
Photobucket

Last edited by JDUTHIE; 09-26-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: FACEPALM
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags