E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
JJR4884's Meatballs and mashed potatoes

Wowwwwwwww its been a while.

Didn't take any pics until the dish was made, but i'll make this as detailed as possible.

Homemade meatballs with a corn/scallion mashed potato and a roasted tomato cream sauce

Meatballs:
1.20 lb ground beef, 80/20
1 egg
Eyeballed about 3/4 cup of bread crumbs (italian flavored)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1 small yellow onion, 2 cloves of garlic, both chopped and sweated before mixing
1/4 cup (est) of thinly sliced scallions
Little bit of EVOO
Few sprinkles of parsley and basil

Mix it up very well, let the meat sit for a bit in the fridge.

Potatoes: Cut up 3 russett potatoes in 1/8s, boil until cooked, drain ALMOST all of the water out. Added 3tbsp of butter, salt, pepper, some milk. Mash just a couple times with a potato masher, then use a big wooden spoon for mixing for the remainder... i like keeping some small whole pieces of potato, so i'll only mash a tad. Towards the end, i put about a 1/4 cup of slice scallions (use the greener part sliced thin) and a half cup of corn. Mix well... adds great flavor and texture to the potatoes.... the corn was awesome too.

Before you start all of this, get some tomatoes, quarter them, and roast them in the oven. In the mean time, get 1 cup of water and bring to a boil, add a half of beef/chicken bouillon (or whatever the ratio to 1 cup calls for) and reduce that down a little bit. Turn to simmer, add some light cream (1/2 cup maybe), wisk frequently, and have that thicken up a tad... tomatoes took about 30 min at 400 in the oven, so do them ahead of time and then add them to the sauce whenever... if the sauce needs a little thickening, add s little bit of flour...

Meatballs- form into balls the size of.. idk... half way between a golf ball and a tennis ball. I fried them in a little bit of veggie oil in a cast iron skillet. Let them burn a little bit, that deep golden brown is where its at. You'll have to cook the meatballs on 4 or so sides until the entire outside of it is fully crusted over with deliciousness. Word to the wise, use two tablespoons to flip, pick up, move, etc the meatballs. One spoon to push the meatball on, the other the push/guide it. If you use tongs or a spatula, good luck... you are going to either squeeze the shiit out of them causing them to split, or just make a mess using a utensil that is anything bigger than a spoon.

FYI I cooked this on med heat on an electric, i would suggest med-high on a gas stove.

Add your mashed to the dish, meatballs on the side, sauce, and then a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar

viola

pics coming soon, my phone is taking wayyyyyyyy too long to upload pics to photobucket
Old 09-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
JJR4884

Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
man fuuck. I want this now too.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
FYI I cooked this on med heat on an electric...
I don't know how you do it man.

I HATE, I mean I FUKCING DESPISE trying to cook on an electric range. When traveling for work somtimes I used to stay at Extended Stay America or a place with a kitchenette but they were invaribly those fukcing electric jobs with the coiled burner...I don't even bother anymore.

Do you have the glass top type?
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post

I HATE, I mean I FUKCING DESPISE trying to cook on an electric range. When traveling for work somtimes I used to stay at Extended Stay America or a place with a kitchenette but they were invaribly those fukcing electric jobs with the coiled burner...I don't even bother anymore.

I have glass top electric. I never really have issues.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
+1 here too. I always used gas too until recently, like any other range, once you get used to it's easy.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
JJR4884

Quote:

my gf's apt is all electric, so ya... gotta use it. i prefer gas obviously, but electric isn't that bad once you get used to it. typically if you turn the head down 1/4 to 1/3 of what you should do on a gas stove, you'll be fine

i use med high for steaks on that stove and they come out perfect
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
I've only cooked on the antiquated exposed metal coil type electrics. My experience has always been that they heat unevenly, and it would take a lot longer to drop the temperature when you needed to. I'm guessing the newer glass top versions have come a long way.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
I've only cooked on the antiquated exposed metal coil type electrics. My experience has always been that they heat unevenly, and it would take a lot longer to drop the temperature when you needed to. I'm guessing the newer glass top versions have come a long way.
yeah I used to have those in my house and they were awful
Old 09-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
looks good!

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
looks good!
you look good. what?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
JJR4884

we all look good naked

what
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler

My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
I add bout 20% ground pork to my mixture that has similar spices for that extra juicy-ness
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
In for later.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
ride365

THREADJACK

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
+1 here too. I always used gas too until recently, like any other range, once you get used to it's easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
my gf's apt is all electric, so ya... gotta use it. i prefer gas obviously, but electric isn't that bad once you get used to it. typically if you turn the head down 1/4 to 1/3 of what you should do on a gas stove, you'll be fine

i use med high for steaks on that stove and they come out perfect
Quote:
I've used old-school coil type burners my whole life with no complaints. I would say I cook more than the average person. I've tried gas and conductive heating, but I like what I'm used to. I've discussed this with my dad, who cooks more than any non-professional I know. He cooks a lot, including a 5-7 course meals about once a week typically which he does by himself using electric. His opinion is that electric heats up food/cookware faster, and that's his main priority. I've seen a scientific article to back this up, but I don't have a reference.

With electric, even-heating is not much of an issue with quality cookware. If I have to compensate for it, I must do it subconsciously because I never give it much thought. As for instant flame adjustment, I simply move off the heat if I need to. I know of the "shortcomings" with electric only from people selling or justifying expensive gas ranges. No complaints from me though.

Last edited by ride365; 10-25-2011 at 01:08 PM.
ride365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
JJR4884

oh yea forgot to mention.... typcially i would have done a mix of pork, beef, lamb, veal.... choose 2 or 3 out of that list for ground meat