E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #421
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Never gets old. I imagine this is about as close to paradise as it gets
I can't believe the sky looks like this in some places.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #422
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Rent a cabin upstate this winter and sit outside for a few hours. There's nothing better than the night sky at 2am on a bitter cold night. Whiskey & coffee or crown royal & hot choc will keep you warm.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-27-2011 at 03:10 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #423
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Well it does if you have the iris and aperture of a tarsier.

Group trip to the canary islands? Or maybe iceland?

Or even better,

Last edited by k2pilot; 09-27-2011 at 03:17 PM.
k2pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #424
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post

Group trip to the canary islands? Or maybe iceland?

Or even better,
I definitely need to see some cool ass sh1t soon. All my vacations are on beaches.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #425
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
I was recently on the CA-NV border in the middle of a plain, and you could see the sky like I've never seen it before. With a long exposure it definitely would have looked like that. You could see the milky way clearly with your eyes. Amazing.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #426
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
Quote:
As for the debate of the determination of c, i was always under the impression that c would stay the same regardless of FTL particles because it was determined through maxwells eq, and that measurements just verified it.
I think the question was whether the previous measurements of c were off and the neutrinos are actually travelling slower than c. Either way, will be true.

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #427
cowmoo32
drunken science

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what this means, but it sounds like the team has found a way to mathematically describe whether or not an observation measures an entangled particle or a separable particle. It sounds like it's all a matter of perspective. Look at the quantum state from this side, and it's entangled. Look from the other side and it isn't.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0927112039.htm

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-28-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #428
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Quote:
lol

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #429
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
<----science lol
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #430
cowmoo32
drunken science

Do we really need a study to tell us that mushrooms help the brain think in a different manner?
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-0...rsonality.html
Quote:
A single high dose of the hallucinogen psilocybin, the active ingredient in so-called "magic mushrooms," was enough to bring about a measureable personality change lasting at least a year in nearly 60 percent of the 51 participants in a new study, according to the Johns Hopkins researchers who conducted it.

Lasting change was found in the part of the personality known as openness, which includes traits related to imagination, aesthetics, feelings, abstract ideas and general broad-mindedness.
Very cool idea for harvesting energy from ocean winds
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-...ne-energy.html

flickher

Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #431
k2pilot

They must have selected a group that wasn't already high scoring in openness, i think most people that are already willing to try mushrooms would most likely already rate very highly in that category. I'm more curious about how they feel it affected their creativity.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #432
cowmoo32
drunken science

I'd be willing to bet it helped. I'm curious as to their definition of a high dose; that's a very subjective thing with any drug.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-29-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #433
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
They must have selected a group that wasn't already high scoring in openness, i think most people that are already willing to try mushrooms would most likely already rate very highly in that category. I'm more curious about how they feel it affected their creativity.
I would be interested in knowing how they measure results in creativity.
I imagine that much of it would be subjective.
It is not like a math test, where results are black and white.

However, I guess that have psychological tests that measure differences in creativity.
Raymond42262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #434
Raymond42262

I was wondering.....if 'the bomb' was based on the speed of light, does moving faster than the speed of light mean that there is a possibility of more energy being released with a new bomb ?

Does it mean that we can design bigger, more powerful bombs ?

Is it possible that we could design new nuclear powered generating plants that would produce more energy in the same amount of space using the new science ?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #435
k2pilot

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet it helped. I'm curious as to their definition of a high dose; that's a very subjective thing with any drug.
I'm sure it did, i'm just curious in what way, for how long etc.

For example, if mushrooms act as a stimulant for creativity and have long lasting effects, does this mean that a couple months/weeks down the road when you're thinking about a new idea it will benefit from the creativity enhancement effect? Or instead, if there's been an idea you've been working and couldn't quite complete, your brain while on the mushrooms would experience an a-ha moment that wouldn't have happened unless your were under the influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I would be interested in knowing how they measure results in creativity.
I imagine that much of it would be subjective.
It is not like a math test, where results are black and white.

However, I guess that have psychological tests that measure differences in creativity.
I imagine there's a number of experiments you could try to quantify the effects, granted they'd be somewhat subjective, but you can always tell when a person is being more or less creative if observed for long enough and under a variety of conditions.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #436
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
For example, if mushrooms act as a stimulant for creativity and have long lasting effects, does this mean that a couple months/weeks down the road when you're thinking about a new idea it will benefit from the creativity enhancement effect? Or instead, if there's been an idea you've been working and couldn't quite complete, your brain while on the mushrooms would experience an a-ha moment that wouldn't have happened unless your were under the influence.
IMO creativity is lateral thinking, finding a connection between two ideas that would normally have nothing in common, and it's been scientifically proven via fMRI and EEG that all psychedelics activate the area of the brain responsible for novelty. This can manifest in many different ways: something trivial and mundane becomes infinitely more interesting, something that normally brings comfort might send you into a panic attack, or you might look at/think about an idea or object and make a novel connection to another idea/object. In short: they aid in looking at/thinking about things from different perspectives.

flickher

Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #437
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Guys, if you are interested in how thinking is affected by mushrooms, a little info by Malcolm Gladwell on the effects of alcohol on our behavior might be fun: http://www.gladwell.com/2010/2010_02_15_a_drinking.html

Quote:
Steele and his colleague Robert Josephs's explanation is that we've misread the effects of alcohol on the brain. Its principal effect is to narrow our emotional and mental field of vision. It causes, they write, "a state of shortsightedness in which superficially understood, immediate aspects of experience have a disproportionate influence on behavior and emotion."
The full article is really worth a read.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #438
Raymond42262

Quote:
IMO creativity is lateral thinking, finding a connection between two ideas that would normally have nothing in common, and it's been scientifically proven via fMRI and EEG that all psychedelics activate the area of the brain responsible for novelty. This can manifest in many different ways: something trivial and mundane becomes infinitely more interesting, something that normally brings comfort might send you into a panic attack, or you might look at/think about an idea or object and make a novel connection to another idea/object. In short: they aid in looking at/thinking about things from different perspectives.
I think psychedelics could be useful, if the dosage was low and they were manufactured with higher standards than the guys who make it on their kitchen stove.

However, if I could find some safe DMT, that would be interesting....jk
I've hear a lot of interesting things about it.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #439
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I can't believe the sky looks like this in some places.
Damn, that looks nice.
I have never seen that many stars....

Quote:
Very cool idea for harvesting energy from ocean winds
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-...ne-energy.html
Cool idea...

I wonder if the efficiency levels of turbines is getting to the level that we could mount one on every home rooftop. IOr mount one on your chimney and use the rising air to turn the blades ?

It would also be cool if they could invent solar panels that could double as window screens. That way you would not have to worry about having them on the roof. Just an idea.

I'll send my idea to Solyndra and see what they think. Oh wait....they are out of business...
Old 09-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #440
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
It would also be cool if they could invent solar panels that could double as window screens. That way you would not have to worry about having them on the roof. Just an idea.
The angle would be an issue.

I've heard that they're testing solar panels that are almost completely see-through. These could be used on almost anything.