E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #21
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
You have a point.
It was a platform that was never designed for the .40S&W. The Glock was specifically designed to shoot the 9mm.
This has been posted before, but the 17 criteria posted by the Austrian Ministry of Defence that Glock had to adhere to specifically detail how Gaston Glock developed the pistol specifically for the 9mm. The 40S&W wasn't invented yet, and pistols of that pressure were basically unheard of. I think you can legitimately say that the .40S&W was an adaptation. Ideally, they should have built it from the ground-up for each caliber, but they didn't. At least not for Gen1-Gen3. This is what has pissed me off about Glock and why I have been more and more inclined to start looking into the S&W M&P line for my future pistols.
Quote:
1. The design has to be self-loading.
2. The pistol must fire the NATO-standard 919mm Parabellum round.
3. The magazines would not require any means of assistance for loading.
4. The magazines must have a minimum capacity of 8 rounds.
5. All actions necessary to prepare the pistol for firing and any actions required after firing must be done single-handed, either right- or left-handed.
6. The pistol must be absolutely secure against accidental discharge from shock, stroke and drops from a height of 2 meters onto a steel plate.
7. Disassembly of the main parts for maintenance and reassembling must be possible without the use of any tools.
8. Maintenance and cleaning of the pistol must be accomplished without the use of tools.
9. The pistol's construction may not exceed 58 individual parts (equivalent of a P38).
10. Gauges, measuring and precise testing devices must not be necessary for the long-term maintenance of the pistol.
11. The manufacturer is required to provide the Ministry of Defence with a complete set of engineering drawings and exploded views. These must be supplied with all the relevant details for the production of the pistol.
12. All components must be fully interchangeable between pistols.
13. No more than 20 malfunctions are permitted during the first 10,000 rounds fired, not even minor jams that can be cleared without the use of any tools.
14. After firing 15,000 rounds of standard ammunition, the pistol will be inspected for wear. The pistol will then be used to fire an overpressure test cartridge generating 5,000 bar (72,518 psi) (the normal maximum operating pressure Pmax for the 9 mm NATO is rated at 2,520 bar (36,550 psi)).[9] The critical components must continue to function properly and be up to specifications, otherwise the pistol will be disqualified.
15. When handled properly, under no circumstances may the user be endangered by case ejection.
16. The muzzle energy must be at least 441.5 J when firing a 9mm S-round/P-08 Hirtenberger AG.
17. Pistols scoring less than 70% of the total available points will not be considered for military use.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #22
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
If you want an excellent lockbox from your kids, this one is fantastic.

I have it, and love it. I had 2 gunvaults before this, and both had a high failure rate, one catastrophic. I will never trust gunvault again.

http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AX11224...7185690&sr=8-1

Here is a video....

The biometric unit that is on this safe is actually a high end unit. If you program it correctly, you will never have a problem. 99 times out of a hundred, all problems with biometric units are user error (bad programming.) I have NEVER had a single failure, and neither has my wife.

This is available in the above configuration, and an in-drawer top opening version. It has holes at the back and at the bottom for wall/shelf bolting down.

This is NOT a "safe." A burglar would probably pry this thing open in less than 2 minutes. This is just a strong box to keep kids out.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 09-27-2011 at 11:59 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
ok guys, i just got my GunVault its a GV2000c DLX, where do you recommend to mount this at home, is the closet a good place to mount it?
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #24
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1317736386.871767.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	419660
here it is...
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote