E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
TampaE46

My Ride: E46 330CI
Unhappy Engine won't crank.

Or will it? Ok I don't know whats going on...
So today Im leaving school and I go to start my car, starter cranks fine and begins to start and I release the key then it stalls out. I tried to crank 3 more times and got nothing but the starter chirping away. I let it sit for about 5 min fearful of killing my battery on all the false/failed starts and when I hit it the 4th time it started. Problem is, it was a very rough start, idle issues and a big plume of grey/whitish/blue smoke - Almost like it was burning oil?

Anyways, I held it at a 1k idle for another 5 minutes, let it go and viola. Happy car, I made it home. However! This got me worried.

It's an 01 330ci AUTO/STEP with 118k on the dash. I did a Level I ins at 115k, oilchange at 115k and thermo/expansion/waterpump/hoses @ 117k.

Could it just have been a bad start on my end, releasing the ignition a little too early and flooding the engine? I know flooding on FI is difficult but not impossible, IDK if thats true on BMW. No SES and no other lights showing up with the exclusion of its normal start.

Waiting for it to cool down to open her up and take a look around to see if I can spot anything. Figured I'd ask the experts. I trolled around and searched but couldnt find anything directly related to me.

OBD is fine on Batt @ 13.2-14.1 when started and running and revving. Im hoping for something simple or DIY and not a computer or headgasket...

What are you guys thinking? Im gonna go check out under the hood and try to start again to see if I get a similar issue. I was planning on doing another level 2 inspection at bimmer but Im to afraid to drive up there until I have an idea of whats going on.

Hoping its just user error.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.

Tags
engine, idle, ignition, stall, starter