E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #301
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Question

I am subscribed to this thread because at one time I was looking to add both an ipod interface and a handsfree cel phone system to my 2004 330CiC. I have yet to do either, but if I could pull the trigger on the handsfree cel phone set up, I'd almost certainly do this as well. Does anyone in this thread have or know the best system for our cars? Does this system for the ipod also work in conjunction with a system for handsfree phone use?
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #302
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTOR View Post
I am subscribed to this thread because at one time I was looking to add both an ipod interface and a handsfree cel phone system to my 2004 330CiC. I have yet to do either, but if I could pull the trigger on the handsfree cel phone set up, I'd almost certainly do this as well. Does anyone in this thread have or know the best system for our cars? Does this system for the ipod also work in conjunction with a system for handsfree phone use?
Yes the USA-Spec (or Dice, or Grom, etc) can live in harmony with an after market bluetooth solution.

Please see Delmarcos thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=720922
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #303
bimmer4life88

My Ride: '01 330ci
Hey Steve, I know this is an old thread, but I just installed my PA12 and love it so far. Sounds quality is great and the unit is quick. I have a 2001 330ci w/HK and I have to press the "m" between left and right seek buttons to skip 10 tracks. When in random mode, it does not do the fast forward feature you described as earlier. I tried just holding seek too....no luck. Also Iphone 4.0.1 only seems to work in Direct mode. Anyone else have luck with fast forwarding on new PA12s? The user manual doesn't even mention the random function.

-PS nice iron ring in the video, just got mine recently from McMaster
Old 07-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #304
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life88 View Post
Hey Steve, I know this is an old thread, but I just installed my PA12 and love it so far. Sounds quality is great and the unit is quick. I have a 2001 330ci w/HK and I have to press the "m" between left and right seek buttons to skip 10 tracks. When in random mode, it does not do the fast forward feature you described as earlier. I tried just holding seek too....no luck. Also Iphone 4.0.1 only seems to work in Direct mode. Anyone else have luck with fast forwarding on new PA12s? The user manual doesn't even mention the random function.

-PS nice iron ring in the video, just got mine recently from McMaster
Hi, glad to hear that the install went well & that you like the sound.

You have a combination the I have no direct exposure to - a Business CD HU pre-2003 and a iPhone with os4.

USA-Spec has updated their manual and they explicitly say that they support os4. I don't know where you bought your unit, but from your description of hitting the 'm' key to skip, it sounds like a recent version. They have definitely changed the behaviour of some of the functions. Please see section 3.1.2 of the current manual:

http://usaspec.com/userfiles/editor/...L_20100622.pdf

They also have this note:

Note: By setting DIP # 3 to OFF position, radio button will be back to
single-press operation mode but text display feature will be disabled

It sounds like you either have dip switch 2 or 3 in the off position. The new manual really doesn't cover the function of dip sw 3 that well & doesn't talk about the function of dip sw 4 at all.

Can I ask how you have them set? With 2 through 4 in the on position, playlist mode should work as well.

Another thing you may want to try is an older iPod, but the easiest way to know for sure is to read your firmware version of the sticker on the PA12-BMW and email their tech support and ask them about it. They are pretty quick to answer.

Please post your progress to keep others informed.

Congrads on the ring I'm an old guy - Ryerson '93 - the second year that they were allowed to hand out degrees. I grew up in Chippawa before going to school in 89. Inlaws are still there. My nephew also just finished his first year of engineering @ Mac. Nice school.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #305
OBDeuce

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal44 View Post
Go with GROM Audio... Dice has been advertised on this forum like crazy, and Grom is gaining customers through word of mouth by people who bought them and are extreemly happy..

I'm one of those customers, gromaudio.com.. you wont be disappointed. Also Grom Audio does software updates almost everymonth. The minor issues i had when i bought it were all fixed with a simple software update.
Any thoughts on installation of the Grom unit? The site offers both dash and trunk options for wiring. The bluetooth dongle sounds pretty amazing. Do you have this piece? Any idea if it plays well with the iPhone 4? Also, are you still enjoying the unit?
OBDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #306
nzhty

My Ride: 318i e46 year 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Yes you are correct - the USA-Spec site doesn't have any install instructions. They have a simple connection diagram on the package & that's it. Honestly you can follow the Dice install to the letter.

Re: interface. Yes they only have the trunk interface. The wire diameter is the same as the Dice cable so you can route it from the trunk to the front. The connector is a bit larger (1/2" diameter) so it is a bit more difficult to thread through tight areas.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...rds=cp-1080-nd

Actually, if you already have the Dice radio interface and if you feel confident with cutting a cable & splicing, I would recomment replacing the Dice 12 pin with the new one...

hello, i need some help, i buy from a member of the forum a usa spec pa12, the thing is:
the previous owner of my car had change the factory radio with a generic radio that was awfull, so i change it for this radio: Bmw E46 OEM CD53 Business Cd Player Pulled out 2003 325ci. CD53 Business Cd Player with Mode button.
till here everything is ok, now i want to connect the usa spec, but the connector of the usa spec, did not fit the back of the radio.

for what i found searching a lot, is that the usa spec must be connected to the CD Charger in the trunk, but my car isnt pre wired for CD Charger.

buy the wire is not cheap in my country, the 2 wires that i need has a cost of 180 american dollars, ok i could buy it from some store and make shipped, for about 80 dollars the 2 of them, but it is a lot just for some wires! and since somebody else is the one that is goning to pay for this to me, i dont have much to say...

well sorry for the long story i found this diagram that may be my solution...

the handwrite diagram says to which correspond each pin in the connector that has 6 pin and separated 3 other pins

i just want to be sure in the diagram that i attach to which pins correspond in the back of the radio in diagram i think is the "B" connector but im not entirely sure and since connector "A" says something about "CD Chg left in"

anyone can confirm to me, which pin in the usa spec goes to the back of the radio? using a some connectors of an old computer i can make the connection without cut the wire....

thanks in advance.
niki
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	en ingles.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	419687  
nzhty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #307
steve.325i

Hi, you want to connect to Connector A - pins 1 & 2 for left & right channel & bridge the speaker ground to both pins 6 & 7.

And just to be clear, this drawing is looking at the HU, not the car wiring harness.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=28

Good luck with the install.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #308
nzhty

Quote:
Hi, you want to connect to Connector A - pins 1 & 2 for left & right channel & bridge the speaker ground to both pins 6 & 7.

And just to be clear, this drawing is looking at the HU, not the car wiring harness.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=28

Good luck with the install.
thanks a lot steve for answer me so soon, but if i do just like you say the usa spec will work?

i don't need to connect the pin of the ibus so the usa spec send the song name to the display of the radio?

i attach a photo of the connector of the usa spec that dont fit the back of the radio....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usa spec.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	419707  

Last edited by nzhty; 10-04-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #309
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzhty View Post
thanks a lot steve for answer me so soon, but if i do just like you say the usa spec will work?

i don't need to connect the pin of the ibus so the usa spec send the song name to the display of the radio?

i attach a photo of the connector of the usa spec that dont fit the back of the radio....
Sorry, my answer was not complete because I was only responding to your specific question regarding the speaker connections from the six pin connector.

Yes, the other three wires from the three pin connector need to be attached to pins 7, 9 & 15 on the 17pin connector.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #310
nzhty

Quote:
Sorry, my answer was not complete because I was only responding to your specific question regarding the speaker connections from the six pin connector.

Yes, the other three wires from the three pin connector need to be attached to pins 7, 9 & 15 on the 17pin connector.
ok, to be clear, the pins 7, 9 and 15 that is not on "A" or "B" connector, i must disconnect those pins from the big connector and use the ones that came from the usa spec? so is going to be 3 pins that came from the car the old pins 7, 9 and 15 that i just put duck tape and leave there dont?

by the way sorry for my bad english
again thanks a lot!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #311
steve.325i

Quote:
ok, to be clear, the pins 7, 9 and 15 that is not on "A" or "B" connector, i must disconnect those pins from the big connector and use the ones that came from the usa spec? so is going to be 3 pins that came from the car the old pins 7, 9 and 15 that i just put duck tape and leave there dont?

by the way sorry for my bad english
again thanks a lot!
No problem. That what the forum is all about.

Yes, pins 7, 9, & 15 on the big connector.

No, do not disconnect them from the connector or you HU will not work. You need to "T-in" to these three lines- meaning leave them connnected to the big connctor but also make a connection to these three wires with the corresponding wire from the 3pin connector.

And the adhesive on duct tape is conductive ... real electrical tape or even cloth hockey is preferred
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #312
nzhty

Quote:
No problem. That what the forum is all about.

Yes, pins 7, 9, & 15 on the big connector.

No, do not disconnect them from the connector or you HU will not work. You need to "T-in" to these three lines- meaning leave them connnected to the big connctor but also make a connection to these three wires with the corresponding wire from the 3pin connector.

And the adhesive on duct tape is conductive ... real electrical tape or even cloth hockey is preferred
steve!! you save my life!! i'll send to you a kiss from here from the other half of the world....

again thanks for your time and dedication to help me....
with more people like you, the world would be a better place to live ...
i know that i already say it, but anyway i must say thanks again!

niki
Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #313
steve.325i

Quote:
steve!! you save my life!! i'll send to you a kiss from here from the other half of the world....

again thanks for your time and dedication to help me....
with more people like you, the world would be a better place to live ...
i know that i already say it, but anyway i must say thanks again!

niki
all is good. Hope you get it working. Please post your results.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #314
[alsharifi]

My Ride: 323ci
Just ordered mine. Thanks for the informative thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Old 10-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #315
nzhty

Quote:
all is good. Hope you get it working. Please post your results.
steve, i connect the usa-spec just like you say, and it work fine... but 2 things that i have to say:

1) the there is a noise in all the music that came from my iphone every few seconds i can hear a noise... no matter which playlist or song is plaing...

2) the thing that don't work is the aux in.... but this is not realy important...
i just want to hear my iphone music without interference.... in my car...

someone say to me that maybe is the "ground" that is causing this noise... but i dont know for sure...

i use to make the connection between the plug that came from the usa-spec to the "A" connector and the 3 pins in the big 17 round pin conector some computer plugs that fit perfect the pins in the "A" connector as well the usa-spec conector for the 3 pins in the big 17 round pin connector i "T-in" just like you say.......

again thanks in advance...
Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #316
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by [alsharifi] View Post
Just ordered mine. Thanks for the informative thread.
Cool. You will like it!

Quote:
steve, i connect the usa-spec just like you say, and it work fine... but 2 things that i have to say:

1) the there is a noise in all the music that came from my iphone every few seconds i can hear a noise... no matter which playlist or song is plaing...

2) the thing that don't work is the aux in.... but this is not realy important...
i just want to hear my iphone music without interference.... in my car...

someone say to me that maybe is the "ground" that is causing this noise... but i dont know for sure...

i use to make the connection between the plug that came from the usa-spec to the "A" connector and the 3 pins in the big 17 round pin conector some computer plugs that fit perfect the pins in the "A" connector as well the usa-spec conector for the 3 pins in the big 17 round pin connector i "T-in" just like you say.......

again thanks in advance...
1. Yes, a grounding issue. It seems that some HU's do not ground the Audio GND pins internally. First thing to try is to make an additional connection from the ground from the 17 pin connector (pin15-GND) to the ground pins on the A connector (pins 6 & 7).

2. I have my AUX disabled but you shoudl be able to enable it using the two pin or four pin switch (depending on which version you have) on the side of the USA-Spec module itself. Then you can sellect the AUX using the CD-6 button.

Last edited by steve.325i; 10-05-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #317
nzhty

Quote:
Cool. You will like it!

1. Yes, a grounding issue. It seems that sone HU's do not ground the Audio GND pins internally. First thing to try is to make an additional connection from the ground from the 17 pin connector (pin15-GND) to the ground pins on the A connector (pins 6 & 7).

2. I have my AUX disabled but you shoudl be able to enable it using the two pin or four pin switch (depending on which version you have) on the side of the USA-Spec module itself. Then you can sellect the AUX using the CD-6 button.
ok so you say that i must "T-in" the ground from the 17 round pin the (pin15-GND) to the 6 pin and 7 pin on the "A" connector?

sorry if i m a little slow taking direction... i dont`t know much about electric components, and i dont want to to broke the radio....

again thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #318
steve.325i

Quote:
ok so you say that i must "T-in" the ground from the 17 round pin the (pin15-GND) to the 6 pin and 7 pin on the "A" connector?
Correct. Bridging the ground pins on both connectors should remove the noise on the audio.

Last edited by steve.325i; 10-05-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #319
nzhty

Quote:
Correct. Bridging the ground pins on both connectors should remove the noise on the audio.
excellent, tomorrow morning before i go to the gym, i'll do that...
steve you have earned 1 fan in here...

kiss niki
Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #320
steve.325i

Quote:
excellent, tomorrow morning before i go to the gym, i'll do that...
steve you have earned 1 fan in here...

kiss niki
You are welcome. Let me know how it goes.