E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
330ci Exhaust questions!! RHD exhaust system-upgrade!!

Hi guys!!

I need your help, knowledge and opinions on my exhaust upgrade thoughts..

I live in Greece and i have an E46 coupe (LHD).. car was a 2lt 4cyl (318ci 143ps) and i did last year a complete 330 engine swap from a UK 330 (RHD)..

I see that the RHD models have differences compared to the LHD ones..

Check this out..
This is my OEM RHD header & cats http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...with_catalyst/ (i plan on upgrading them also, i just don't know if im gonna do it all together or do a cat back system now and do headers & cats later) and after that it has this section http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...ront_silencer/ (the first one) which says "exhaust pipe with catalyt.converter"... What the f...?? The RHD M54 models have 4 cats total..??
A friend told me that UK models produce less hp.. Is that true..??
The rest part of the exhaust is the same between RHD and LHD models.. http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...rear_silencer/

What i want to do is to upgrade my exhaust to get maximum hp without being very loud.. I hate drone.. I have a friend with a compact E46 325ti M54 with custom centre muffler and rear silencer and does a very nice E36 M3 style sound..

Future exhaust upgrades are ebay headers with universal 200 cell metal cats..

I want your help with the cat back..
The exhaust from the RHD fitted my car (LHD) perfect without ANY mods..
Right know the only thing i have changed is the rear silncer with a custom one..
Here is a video.. Not the best one (mobile phone) but you can understand a bit the exhaust sound.. Of course live is way better..

I want to keep my existing custom rear silencer..
I see that some cat back systems like the Blue Flame, UUC etc have twin silencer systems..Other cat back systems (supersprint for example) use x-pipe (what does it do?) and then the 2 pipes go into one centre silencer and then again 2 pipes into one rear silencer..
Scorpion exhaust offers a cat back system with 2 pipes going into ONE front silencer then into ONE centre silencer and then into ONE rear silencer..
Jetex has different route.. 2 pipes into ONE front silencer then 2 pipes into ONE centre silncer and then ONE pipe goes into the rear silncer..
http://www.adeautodesignonline.co.uk...earch=&sought=

What is the best exhaust upgrade route for maximum hp without crazy sound..??
Which system is the best..??
What do we achieve with the twin silencer or the use of ONE silencer or single piping..??
I don't want to lose low end torque and gain high.. I want some overall hp (if it's doable) with a nice sound..

If i change only the silencers without changing the pipes will i get any hp?
Should i delete these catalytic converters http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...ront_silencer/ ?? should i add an x-pipe, just pipes or small free flow silencers..??

Sorry for the loooong post!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
zaharias

Question

Anybody...???

I see that supersprint http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-5...093E280BA.aspx puts the x pipe http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-c...m_pre_kat.aspx here that my exhaust has these catal.converters http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...ront_silencer/
Iam thinking of making a custom x pipe (instead of paying 400+ euro for the supersprint) and then i will see.. What do you think..??
The original pipe diameter is 2" (50,8mm)??
Any tips or anything else that i should be carefull while building the x pipe..??
Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Hi, I have a RHD UK 330. It does have 4 cats total and produces 231hp.

The RHD headers are different to the LHD design, I consider them less 'pinched' where the 3 ports join to 1 before they go into the cat. If you look at the LHD headers you will see what I mean. However the RHD headers head upwards and towards the front of the car before doubling back so it's probably even.

Considering your car is LHD you have many aftermarket options available, remember that the RHD headers DO NOT have all the holes drilled for studs in the head. If you look at the flanges in the link you posted you will see there are gaps in the stud pattern. This means you will have to put those studs there (i.e. drill and tap the holes) or use a header that has joined-up flanges.

I'll try to answer more questions later

Last edited by Dan330Ci~; 10-16-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Dan330Ci~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan330Ci~ View Post
Hi, I have a RHD UK 330. It does have 4 cats total and produces 231hp.

The RHD headers are different to the LHD design, I consider them less 'pinched' where the 3 ports join to 1 before they go into the cat. If you look at the LHD headers you will see what I mean. However the RHD headers head upwards and towards the front of the car before doubling back so it's probably even.

Considering your car is LHD you have many aftermarket options available, remember that the RHD headers DO NOT have all the bolts drilled for studs. If you look at the flanges in the link you posted you will see there are gaps in the stud pattern. This means you will have to put those studs there (i.e. drill and tap the holes) or use a header that has joined-up flanges.

I'll try to answer more questions later
Thank you for your time and reply mate..
I know what you mean about the difference between LHD and RHD oem headers..
If i understand correctly.. Are you talking about the holes for the bolts that are on the flanges..?? I can see from bmwfans.info that the RHD headers have 8+8 holes and that the LHD headers have 12+12!!
Very useful detail info!! Thanks mate!! Although iam gonna deal with the front section/catal.converters right now and do headers & cats later (maybe in the winter)...
Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Yes what I mean is that the cylinder head also does not have those holes for the studs which is causing me problems at the moment. So basically if you have headers where the flanges are missing stud holes your cylinder head will also be missing those holes.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan330Ci~ View Post
Yes what I mean is that the cylinder head also does not have those holes for the studs which is causing me problems at the moment. So basically if you have headers where the flanges are missing stud holes your cylinder head will also be missing those holes.
That's why supersprint produces headers only for LHD models only.. ah?? http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-c...foldbrlhd.aspx

Very useful info, thanks again Dan..
Are you upgrading your exhaust system also..??

When removing your oem header you can have an idea how the holes are.. If you have an ebay header (for example) and follow the hole pattern of your oem and drill some holes where needed and then weld others that you don't need (probably), do you think this should work that way..??

Last edited by zaharias; 10-07-2011 at 11:14 PM.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
zaharias

Any other suggestions about the cat back or the replacement of the front silencer-catalytic converter (this one exists only in RHD models)..??
Old 10-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
zaharias

I might make the x-pipe tomorrow guys..
Old 10-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
I might make the x-pipe tomorrow guys..
Iam trying to make a custom x-pipe to replace this section http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...ront_silencer/ guys..

2" (50.8mm) is the inside diameter or the outside..?? I belive it's inside..

I can't find (in any shop at the island that i live) a bit bigger diameter than stock.. I find bends 60mm and tubs 50.8 (when i try to bend the 50.8 it gets smaller so we go 48!!!).. Iam trying to make the best possible without killing flow.. I want, not to affect performance.. i want to gain something if it's possible, not do it worse..

What do you guys think..??

Last edited by zaharias; 10-22-2011 at 02:49 AM.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
zaharias

Here is the OEM section before we cut it..

Welding the x-pipe...

Bye bye..

Done.. (i think iam gonna paint it all black.. the silver is a product that my friend sprayed to prevent rust)

I will make a video and upload it when i can..

Nice sound, sounds like E36 M3 a bit and not loud (as i wanted it).. My gf didn't realize the difference in sound.. It was what i wanted, no drone, not very loud and to sound nice..
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
zaharias

Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
zaharias

Talking

Filmed with sony ericsson w995
Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
zaharias

Filmed with Canon G12

OEM M52 headers, 200 cell Magnaflow cats...

Quote:
Quote: