E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #101
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
My homework tonight is to read as much as possible about the removal and installation on the expansion tank. This afternoon, I returned home and as I put my vehicle in park I heard a loud pop, saw a cloud of steam and the trail of coolant going down the parking lot. I opened the hood and pulled the radiator cap to find no liquid at all. I will pull the airbox and see if it's the expansion tank or a hose that blew and report back.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:15 AM   #102
Pesho_T

My Ride: BMW 318i E46
Thanks for the write up! did mine over the weekend and except a few glitches it's all good. Only changed the expansion bottle, probably change a few hoses and the thermostat soon as well
Pesho_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #103
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I am thankful that the expansion tank decided to split as I returned home and safely parked. I followed this DIY and found the only part that failed was the ET, it split right down the length of the tank. A claw hammer and towel method extracted the tank in two or three attempts. After buying a replacement, coolant and distilled water, I was up and running in about an hour including a little cleaning while the airbox was off. I bled the system, drove around the block and sweat it while watching the temp gauge return to the normal position. A week later, I am slowly starting to forget about the experience and get back to enjoying my vehicle.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #104
astonmartini03

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Great write-up. For those of you looking to do a coolant flush and then some, take a look at the above posted TIS procedures. There's a nice pic of the block drain plug, which can be hard to find, even if you know where to look. Also, you don't need all kinds of socket elbows and extensions for this plug. I managed to get a ~10" socket wrench in there. I pointed it down towards the ground and towards the front of the car. However, I wasn't able to get a torque wrench on it...
astonmartini03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #105
VladE46

My Ride: 2001 325CI - E46
Thermostat replaced & water pump

At roughly 85k miles, second thermostat went bad (code reader indicated actual coolant temperature different from current thermostat setting). No indication of engine temperrature increase, gauge always at 1/2. So while in there also replaced the water pump. Water pump was still OK, bud did replace it with one that has a metal impeller as opposed to the OEM plastic.
The only 'slow-down-factor' during this install was removal of fan (since I have the auto gerabox). Everything else was straghtforward. Did not flush coolant as I have had numerous leakes over the past 6 months and have topped off the cooling system with a lot of fresh fluid.
I would strongly recommend using the two airbox screws for pump removal, that is why the two threaded holes are made for in the pump. It comes out straight (alternate tighteting from one side to the other).
Thanks for a great DIY.
VladE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #106
ariiak

My Ride: 2000 323 ci
Where to get these pulleys?

Where can I get the pulleys for the mechanical tensioners? I cant find anyone who sells just the pully without having to buy the whole tensioner assembly.
ariiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #107
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Dealer does. Over here they were $7
Old 02-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #108
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
Dealer doesn't sell pulleys for the mechanical tensioners, only for the hydraulic tensioner. Dayco 89133 or Autozone pulleys work, they are both Ina pulleys. Amazon sells them for $20, and are available from others.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #109
paraklas

yes they do. Take the old one out and take it there, they will trace it by part number. That's how I changed mine the last 4 times at least. There are 2 different types of pulleys, the one has a small and the other one has a large inner diameter. Mine, the AC and the engine one are identical.

This is the one with the larger bore

Belt Drive Water Pump/Alternator - BMW parts catalog

And No.6 for smaller bore

Belt Drive Water Pump/Alternator - BMW parts catalog

One of the two will fit the Engine Mechanical Tensioner
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #110
Sansho
OEM ///Member

That's interesting, as #5 in the first diagram is the idler pulley, which as I recall is larger than the mechanical pulley. Good news that it's worked for you. As OP is in the US, they have several choices on where to buy a replacement pulley.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #111
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
My upper radiator hose split three days after I received my car back from a smg to manual conversion. I had a lightweight flywheel installed so I'm assuming the quick acceleration and 3 month of no use was alittle to much for the hose. I love the low coolant indicator with alarm tone. My needle never moved from center. I replaced the upper hose and all is good.

I decided to refresh the entire cooling system essentials minus sensors which I can do on a later date. Belts and pulleys will be replaced as well.
Not to bore everyone, all the basic cooling parts and belts/pulleys I just purchased. The icing on the cake is the Stewart waterpump, ECS aluminum waterpump pulley, aluminum thermostat housing, and oil filter housing assembly gasket.

EDIT: Update on cooling system overhaul

Before I replaced any part that was cooling system related, I focused my time on replacing the oil filter housing gasket. It's not difficult. Just set aside the power steering pump and reservoir, remove alternator, and go ahead and remove the six bolts holding the oil filter housing. I cleaned the mating surfaces and installed new gasket. Hopefully this will solve my mysterious low oil every couple months. Next I went ahead and installed new A/C tensioner and pulley, idler pulley, deflector pulley, Stewart water pump, ECS aluminum overdrive waterpump pulley, ECS aluminum thermostat housing, lower rad hose, expansion tank, all drain plugs, engine plug washer, bleeder screw, fan temp sensor, ET level sensor, and both belts. Then flushed with distilled agua only and ran for about 20 minutes checking for leaks. All was fine. Drained and filled with BMW coolant and distilled agua. My back hurts...

Last edited by xavi330i; 02-25-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: update
xavi330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #112
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Damn idler pulley dust cover does not want to snap into place with the new pulley.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #113
bobdisk

My Ride: 323Ci coupe, E46
Did mine this Easter weekend, did it in half expected time, thanks to your excellent diy, Thanks! Two points I did, one, is that the 6mm tapped holes for the push-out bolts were rot, and next to impossible to use. So, I put in two short 6mm bolts, with lock washers, in the new pump to protect the holes for future removal. They must be short, so as not to come out proud of the mating surface.
The other thing, I have done this several times, each with success, put the car front up on some fairly steep ramps, so as to put the rad up high. Follow the instructions for filling, but put the water in very slowly. The first time I started the engine, I got a fountain out of the bleed in no time!!
bobdisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #114
ecaicedo

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i Sport
Distilled Water Instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silber92 View Post
I just did a cooling system overhaul on my '03 330CiC (5 spd) yesterday, which went off without a hitch thanks to great write ups like this and having a Bentley on hand. One thing I would highly recommend while you're in there is to spend another 10 minutes and pull the radiator. It's amazing how much crap and crud collects between the condenser and the radiator. While you've got the radiator out, you can back fllush it with a garden hose, and use compressed air or the hose to blow years and miles worth of leaves, bug bits and debris from the fins. You can do the same thing to the condenser, although compressed air is the way to go unless you want to soak your garage...

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera handy, but R and R is covered pretty well in the Bentley manual, or I bet there's a DIY on here too. Basically it's two plastic 'bolts' that hold it in from the top, although the manual does miss one torx bolt near the upper hose neck that helps secure it. Take those three out, tilt back from the top and lift. That's it.

Well worth the effort.
Just a thought: based on what I know (and I realize I don't do this for a living), you don't want to run tap water through the radiator, as the minerals in the tap water will cause corrosion inside. So, if you are flushing the radiator, you should use distilled water. Cheers
ecaicedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #115
jaydeals

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
I read through many threads on this forum on doing cooling system overhauls. Finally got all the parts that I need. Just removed all the belts and water pump. I was about to install the new WP. However, I don't seem to find anyone mentioning about using sealant or RTV gasket when installing the new WP.

There was no indication sealant was used with the original WP. It looks like the O Ring on the WP should be adequate in stopping water leaks. But the installation instruction that comes with the new WP says sealant should be used.

Anybody has any thought on whether it is a good idea to use sealant or gasket when installing the new WP?
jaydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #116
Sansho
OEM ///Member

BMW factory directions say: "Replace O-ring and coat with coolant as anti-friction agent." That's it, no 'sealant' needed.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #117
rickymartin

My Ride: 325xi
Question Just wondering?

My Expansion tank blew last week and was looking into replacing it as well as the water pump to be safe.

Was looking at this option and wondering if anyone has installed one of this instead of the OE Plastic one?

Thanks,
rickymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #118
ELCID86

My Ride: 2004 330i (ZHP) x2
Is my ET seated?

I can't tell if my tank is seated properly. I'm worried about the driver's side portion near the lower hose. It seems a bit loose. I pushed from the bottom while my I had someone pushing down on the top of the ET. Can anyone tell from these photos?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7597.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	420099   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7598.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	420100   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7600.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	420101   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7607.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	420102  

Last edited by ELCID86; 10-08-2011 at 04:33 PM.
ELCID86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #119
paraklas

Looks seated to me, compared with some of the pics I have on page 1 they look the same. The splash cover should not be installed before checking/testing for leaks, if coolant is leaking it will be fairly obvious
Old 10-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #120
ELCID86

My Ride: 2004 330i (ZHP) x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Looks seated to me, compared with some of the pics I have on page 1 they look the same. The splash cover should not be installed before checking/testing for leaks, if coolant is leaking it will be fairly obvious
Thanks good point about the splash guard. I guess I'll have to put the fan in to test it though.

All seems to have gone fine. I was worried about the ET because it seemed loose. After the fan/shroud is re-installed it is all tight again. I did have a leak on the hoses at the top of the ET. You really have to push the hose on well before pushing down on the clip. It seamed like it was on properly until things started to heat up!

Last edited by ELCID86; 10-22-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Update.
ELCID86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, expansion, stewart, tensioner, water pump