E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Vote: Do you believe in preventative maintenance?
Preventative maintenance is key to good vehicle health 320 83.12%
Preventative maintenance is a waste of money. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! 65 16.88%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #41
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
http://www.grammarist.com/spelling/p...ve-preventive/
Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #42
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
isn't it about time for a old man to move on to a car that's not affordable by teenagers?
I have several cars that are not affordable to most teenagers. How about a 2007 C-6 Z06 Vette with 1010 miles on the clock, a 2010 Escalade, a 2011 335i, a 2011 F-250, and a 69 Boss 429 with only 24062 on the clock, and a like new Volvo 245. I just enjoy my e46. What's wrong with that? It is low mile, and I'll probably keep it for a long, long, long, long time. The wife just put in the order for a new 6 vert. Is that enough to satisfy you?

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #43
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
I have several cars that are not affordable to most teenagers. How about a 2007 C-6 Z06 Vette with 1010 miles on the clock, a 2010 Escalade, a 2011 335i, a 2011 F-250, and a 69 Boss 429 with only 24062 on the clock, and a like new Volvo 245. I just enjoy my e46. What's wrong with that? It is low mile, and I'll probably keep it for a long, long, long, long time. The wife just put in the order for a new 6 vert. Is that enough to satisfy you?
That's a lot of nice cars. Very low miles too.
Are those cars garage queens, for display only or do you drive them regularly? How much do you pay in car insurance, if I may ask?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #44
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
I would rather spend a $100 -$200 on preventative maintenance, than $1000 - $2000 to fix it on my way to or from Octoberfest. I would spend a little to save a lot and prevent inconvenience and wasted time. My original expansion tank blew at 5 years and my second BMW expansion tank has a crack in it and is leaking. The second one is 7 years old. I will replace this as a preventative maintenance item. The radiator hoses will be replaced too. I know with confidence that my cooling system will not break down on me while traveling.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #45
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
That's a lot of nice cars. Very low miles too.
Are those cars garage queens, for display only or do you drive them regularly? How much do you pay in car insurance, if I may ask?
All are drivers (except for the Boss 9). The Z06 gets a short run most weekends, and the e46, Escalade and the F250 are daily drivers, depending on what I need to do. The wife drives the 335, and will probably trade it when the 6 gets here. The jury is still out on that, I might keep it and let the Touring go, or keep the Touring and trade the Escalade.

As to the insurance thing, it's not all that bad when you consider my age and lack of accidents/tickets. Plus the cars get few miles per year, and are kept in the garage. They run in the 3K per year neighborhood. The Boss is fully insured with a stated value policy. It is the cheapest of the bunch. No road miles since 1978. Just into and out of the trailer. Garage to show.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity

Last edited by Stickbuilder; 10-09-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #46
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
It's a pretty simple concept. Know the useful life of the different parts & components on your car, and be sure you replace them before they reach it. I have a very in depth spreadsheet I use for this on my current e46:

That's Baller!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #47
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
i was for but my dealership was so far away so when i'd get the indicator for service on my dash i'd bring it to a local euro's mech and he'd just check everything and tell me what needs fixed. he said it wasn't necessary to replace everything on the list if it's in good shape.
so now i replace things as them come and when my indicator comes on i go to my mech and tell him my KM's and he checks things, so far i haven't gone wrong and he's very knowledgable with BMW's.
if the dealership was closer i would however get the maintenance's done
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #48
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Awesome spreadsheet of maintenance items. I am happy to say that ALL OF THOSE are done on my car!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #49
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I am happy to say that ALL OF THOSE are done on my car!!
Completely unnecessarily so, I am happy to say.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #50
Mango
A full five stars, son

I'd be pretty sad/worried if $1,100 was ALL of anybody's income. You spend 10-15 grand on a car, what's 2-3 grand more to make it more reliable?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 10-09-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #51
BmwPerfection

My Ride: 3.5 M3 & 00 323ci
Send a message via AIM to BmwPerfection
So whats the purpose of this fail thread? Might as well just ask are u dumb and lazy or smart and plan ahead?!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #52
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
It's a pretty simple concept. Know the useful life of the different parts & components on your car, and be sure you replace them before they reach it. I have a very in depth spreadsheet I use for this on my current e46:

This is awesome. I'm going to go so far as to say that this forum needs a standard spreadsheet with all of the key maintenance items listed saved in a .xls (older) excel format stickied all over the place. Too many maintenance questions here, and all of them so easily answered by one spreadsheet.

How often should you really change your oil?
What kind of oil to use?
What kind of ATF to use?
Where to buy?
etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum

Obviously everyone is going to customize the spreadsheet for their needs. But I think it would be an excellent resource for new and old members alike (but especially new).
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #53
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
This is awesome. I'm going to go so far as to say that this forum needs a standard spreadsheet with all of the key maintenance items listed saved in a .xls (older) excel format stickied all over the place. Too many maintenance questions here, and all of them so easily answered by one spreadsheet.

How often should you really change your oil?
What kind of oil to use?
What kind of ATF to use?
Where to buy?
etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum

Obviously everyone is going to customize the spreadsheet for their needs. But I think it would be an excellent resource for new and old members alike (but especially new).
I agree with you 100%.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #54
Mango
A full five stars, son

Very interesting poll results. I was sure that most would believe in replacing parts before they fail. Now I'm convinced it's an overwhelming majority. I am glad that so many like to take care of these cars. because it's us who buy them. A BMW is a lot better off when taken care of in an enthusiasts point of view. An enthusiast takes care of his/her car and doesn't let it go to the dump.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #55
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Since the poll was all or nothing I went with it's a waste of time, but personally for me it depends on the cost. The expansion tank is cheap and easy to replace compared to being stuck on the road or having the buy the part from a dealer, same with drive belts. Other things? not so much.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #56
Mango
A full five stars, son

Well I believe all the parts of the cooling system works as a whole. I feel the cost of ALL of it is worth it. If you're spending on an expansion tank, why not replace the cap? the belts, the tensioner pulleys,w ater pump pulley. You can find tons of threads on each individual cooling part being responsible for a cooling failure. it's a no brainer.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #57
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwPerfection View Post
So whats the purpose of this fail thread? Might as well just ask are u dumb and lazy or smart and plan ahead?!
Right on point. This is a silly thread..
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #58
Mango
A full five stars, son

^ I'm glad all 2 of you agree!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #59
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Very interesting poll results. I was sure that most would believe in replacing parts before they fail. Now I'm convinced it's an overwhelming majority. I am glad that so many like to take care of these cars. because it's us who buy them. A BMW is a lot better off when taken care of in an enthusiasts point of view. An enthusiast takes care of his/her car and doesn't let it go to the dump.
These results are in no way scientific nor statistically valid.
People say one thing, but when it comes down to opening up their wallets and deal with the inconveniences of not having a car, they do differently.
You'd get very different results if you made the survey at the mechnic's shop exit and asked people if they were there to fix a problem or to prevent one.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #60
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:

I do the same thing for my car, although my sheet is a little more simple and doesn't contain part numbers. Stores all the work ever done on it since day one. I'll post up a screen shot when I get home if anyone is interested.

IMO, preventative maintenance is pretty much what the manufacturer tells you to do anyway. Otherwise, they'd just say change the waterpump when it fails or change the engine when it seizes from lack of oil. Without it, you're screwed. Granted there are things that don't need regular changing, valve cover gasket for example. For that one, leave it alone till it leaks.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 10-11-2011 at 05:36 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote