E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
ProblematicE46

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Floorboard vibration

Hi everyone, I purchased an 04' 325xi with 90k miles from my brother. He's had it since it was about 30k miles and about 5-10k miles back he started having this problem, and purchased new tires and replaced the boots on the front axles. Since then I bought it and replaced the front lower control arms, bushings (bimmerworld powerflex ones), ball joints, and just did the roadforce balancing on all four tires. This problem seems endless, after reading the forums it seems like the list COULD be: tie rods, sway bar end links, wheel bearings, front axles, or alignment. The problem happens between 55-80mph on the highway, you feel a shudder or vibration on/around the gas pedal or floorboard near it. The steering wheel shakes slightly it used to be worse before the LCA's... The car doesnt shake like some people mention theirs do when you press the brakes, and Ive been looking at the forums and seeing that alot of it is after long drives, but for me the second im on the highway at these speeds I notice it. Is there any way the cv joints/axles could be creating this on the highway without making any clicking? It doesnt make any noise on turns as far as I've been listening to it so im not sure where to start, I dont wanna sink another $1000 to find out that it didnt help haha.
Thanks!!
ProblematicE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Motor mounts, axles, front diff and TC fluid is where I'd start to look.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
ProblematicE46

How do you check your motor mounts? and is TC fluid the torque convertor/tranny fluid? and does the front differential actually have fluid of its own like a real axle in a car?
thanks!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
I had the same problem and went through a lot of the same fixes to find it was my motor mount. They are grease filled so if it's bad you'll see gunk leaking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
ProblematicE46

sometimes when idling i notice a slight vibration as well... could this lead to possibly being the motor mounts?
thanks!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
ProblematicE46

I just did the motor mount test and it seemed to have moved at least an inch! Im almost positive thw motor mounts are bad, and did you definately have the vibration feeling near your feet? And how long did it take to do? Thanks!!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Passenger side is easy. Drivers side is harder, since you need to drop the subframe a bit to squeeze it out.

Use a jack and a piece of wood to support the engine. Do one at a time.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
GunnerB

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
FYI just changed my mounts and it cleared up that shudder at idle and overall got rid of my vibration that was left over after I replaced my axles. Pretty easy to do only took me about 40 minutes.
GunnerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
ProblematicE46

Are transmission mounts as easy to do in one shot while you do the motor mounts? How about front subframe or any others that are worth it?