E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
Winter storage!

Hey gents,

Well, it's getting colder and colder and soon snow will hit this wonderful city I live in. So I will be putting my M away for storage soon. Indoor non-heated (insuluated) garage.

I've been reading various articles/threads about winter storage - and would just like some feedback/info from you guys.

I plan on buying a good quality heater, and working on my car through out the long winter here. Perfect time to do most of my Inspection II, restore my worn leather, and restore/repaint my wheels!

1) I had planned on just leaving my car on jack stands. It would guarantee no flat spots, and just make it easier to work on my car. However, I read somewhere with a "modern" suspension it's bad to leave it unsprung for any long period of time. Thoughts? Suggestions?

2) I just changed my spark plugs, and a day later I read somewhere when you winter store a car you should put a teaspoon of engine oil into each plug/threading. That way they won't corrode over the winter, and when you start your car up in the spring/summer it will burn oil in a minute or two, and then be okay. I've never heard that before this article, it sounds good in theory - but i'm wondering what you guys think. Should I bother?

3) The oil in my car is still good. Some say change it, other say it's fine. I did hear however you're suppose to change it right when you store it - let it run just enough to circulate the oil and then leave it. Apparently otherwise moisture can build up and start corroding over the winter. Thoughts?

4) Since my car will be in an indoor garage, with no one accessing it besides me - Is a car cover really necessary?

5) I heard mothballs work well to keep rodents away. Just to be on the safe side would it be worth my while to spread these around the outside of the car, as well as a few in the interior?

Thanks!
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
I say, your a little over cautious. It is just a piece of metal with 4 wheels on it. If you want to store it, leave it in the garage, cover it. Issue solved.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
I say, your a little over cautious. It is just a piece of metal with 4 wheels on it. If you want to store it, leave it in the garage, cover it. Issue solved.
Have you ever felt what -40 feels like? Welcome to January/February/March in Winnipeg.

As far as just a piece of metal with 4 wheels - Well it's an expensive piece of metal with 4 wheels, and i'm passionate about it and therefore want to preserve and take care of it the best I can.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
oh my bad dude. I am sure people take almost same precautions as you even in warmer temperatures. I drive all year round. Good luck in getting your answer

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
bmwguyNC

My Ride: 02 325i orient blue
Send a message via AIM to bmwguyNC
I know its not good for the suspension. I just did my coolant overhaul and was on a lift for about a couple hours while we did the overhaul and beer time etc. When I drove away I got that bouncy bouncy thing. Like a big lincolns airshocks not working. This lasted for 3 days until everything was back to normal. Maybe you could just drive it forward a few times during storage and park it back that way you will not get the flat spot tires and proper lubrication for the engine! Mothballs in the interior-No Way those things leave a horrible odor! My car is just a 325i and I feel just as passionate as you do. Enjoy your beautiful canadian winter!
bmwguyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
BMWjunkie77

My Ride: 2002 ///M3
I do the same thing, mothballs do work good, just throw a bunch under and around the car, dryer sheets in the exhaust pipe tips to keep animals out of those, its probably just wiser to leave your car on the ground, start and move it around every so often, that's what I tend to do with my cars. My dad left his vette on blocks for a period of time and it made the suspension still hang once we dropped it, but it's all persons preference. I suppose you could find a way to keep it on stands and maybe use something to prop the suspension up, but I can't imagine that's to good for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

2002 Jet Black/Grey///M3
2002 330ci-GONE

"Bags are for dead hookers"
BMWjunkie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
For flat spotting, you could go with something like:
http://www.raceramps.com/flatstoppers.aspx

They're rather expensive, but so is a new set of performance rubber.

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
KCe46

My Ride: 2004 325i
Make sure you have a full fuel tank and you may want to consider adding a preservative while you're at it.
KCe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
If it were me, and extreme cold temps.

1) Block heater 24/7
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...7C86YWSKCBVC96

2) Battery Tender
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...8812275&sr=1-1

3) Sta-bil fuel stabilizer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZC6MHHFKW86C1G

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
I topped off my gas with 91, checked air pressure in the tires, and folded the mirrors. All done.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
vintagegz

My Ride: 2005 330ci/2004 330i
Fill your gas tank, putting an extra 5 psi of air in the tires will eliminate flat spots, crack the windows about a 1/4 inch to take pressure off weatherstrips, take the battery home and charge it once a month, it will be fine. Most important do not start the car once you put it away, it only causes moisture in the exhaust system, leave it shut off. I know fogging with oil was done in the old days, but for the winter never had a problem, a film of oil will remain on internal components.
vintagegz is offline   Reply With Quote