E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Need Advice on RothIRA

Hey guys,
I just recently started investing and want to open an a retirement account while Im young (21yo) so I can start putting money aside. I have 401k and some shares in stock but Ive been talking recently to 2 good friends who told me to open up a RothIRA. I know a little about how the account works but what is the best institution or source to go through and open one up? how much can I expect to pay monthly? yearly? Im in my last year of college but I have a little bit of money off the to side that Id like to put into this. Should I do it now or wait until I have full time job with steady income? Thanks
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Hey guys,
I just recently started investing and want to open an a retirement account while Im young (21yo) so I can start putting money aside. I have 401k and some shares in stock but Ive been talking recently to 2 good friends who told me to open up a RothIRA. I know a little about how the account works but what is the best institution or source to go through and open one up? how much can I expect to pay monthly? yearly? Im in my last year of college but I have a little bit of money off the to side that Id like to put into this. Should I do it now or wait until I have full time job with steady income? Thanks

You can open up a Roth IRA at any online broker such as Scottrade. A Roth IRA will be identical no matter the institution. Most of them will have minimum requirements for opening an account (I think Scottrade is $500) and then after that it's a certain amount per trade.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
You can open up a Roth IRA at any online broker such as Scottrade. A Roth IRA will be identical no matter the institution. Most of them will have minimum requirements for opening an account (I think Scottrade is $500) and then after that it's a certain amount per trade.
what are some of the best ones in terms of fees and costs? vanguard? edward jones? Also what is the minimum monthly amount you can deposit?
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
what are some of the best ones in terms of fees and costs? vanguard? edward jones? Also what is the minimum monthly amount you can deposit?
You'll have to check them out yourself, but there is no minimum monthly amount. The max per year for 2011 is $5K.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 09-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
You'll have to check them out yourself, but there is no minimum monthly amount. The max per year for 2011 is $5K.
okay thanks, much appreciated

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 09-23-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
You'll definitely want to open a rothIRA at your age when the taxes are low. Fund your retirement in this order

1) max company 401k match, if any
2) max roth ira
3) max 401k.

Roth is very important because it's post-tax money. When you're starting out you're taxed very little if anything at all so it's the best vehicle to use. You can also withdraw the contribution at any time without penalty, use the money/earnings toward a new house in 5 years, etc. etc. Very flexible.

The brokerage you choose will depend on your trading style. Most ppl manage their retirement accounts passively (just buy index funds and leave it along for the long term). For that I recommend Vanguard. They have some of the most low-expense index funds and is regarded as the gold standard when it comes to a broad spectrum of index funds.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
You'll definitely want to open a rothIRA at your age when the taxes are low. Fund your retirement in this order

2) max roth ira
3) max 401k.

Roth is very important because it's post-tax money. When you're starting out you're taxed very little if anything at all so it's the best vehicle to use. You can also withdraw the contribution at any time without penalty, use the money/earnings toward a new house in 5 years, etc. etc. Very flexible.

The brokerage you choose will depend on your trading style. Most ppl manage their retirement accounts passively (just buy index funds and leave it along for the long term). For that I recommend Vanguard. They have some of the most low-expense index funds and is regarded as the gold standard when it comes to a broad spectrum of index funds.
Thanks for the help. My roommate also suggested Vanguard to me if I can afford it right now. I might have to wait until May when Im back at my job but I want to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 09-23-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
i looked into rothIRA's a little bit ago and i was kinda pissed to find that you can't get the money until you are 65. i'm planning on retiring at 50. i don't want to wait 15 years for my money when i'm too old to do anything with it.

professional grade '02 nissan frontier rock crawler, and a 325 with a few add-ons.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i looked into rothIRA's a little bit ago and i was kinda pissed to find that you can't get the money until you are 65. i'm planning on retiring at 50. i don't want to wait 15 years for my money when i'm too old to do anything with it.
Then you're pretty much stuck investing in methods that don't offer tax advantages
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Amoeba

Why not do half and half? Use tranditional IRA/401k for years 50-65, then withdraw from Roth 65+.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
10% early withdrawal penalty for IRA/401K prior to 59 1/2 with few exceptions.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post

2) max roth ira
3) max 401k.

this isn't entirely true. if you withdraw before 5 years its an automatic 50% withholding.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
this isn't entirely true. if you withdraw before 5 years its an automatic 50% withholding.
That's not entirely true, either. You can withdraw principal at any time with zero penalty/taxes. However, the earnings on those contributions must remain for at least 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
It's not 65 years old.....typically, you can start withdrawing funds at age 59-1/2. Like I said in the post above, you can take the principal that you invested at any time without any penalty.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-17-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Amoeba

^^^^ +1