E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #481
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
^ fvck

New 360o flight trainer

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-...gree-view.html

Possible reason for the FTL travel by neutrinos: Clock synchronization error
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2685

How many times will we think something is flat before we later find out we were wrong?
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-flat-universe.html

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #482
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post

Possible reason for the FTL travel by neutrinos: Clock synchronization error
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2685

How many times will we think something is flat before we later find out we were wrong?
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-flat-universe.html
So, the FTL neutrino came down to them having their clocks wrong?

I always wonder what will be our "earth is flat" moment.......300 years into the future, what will those people look back on and say "what were they thinking?? lol_21st century".

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #483
cowmoo32
drunken science

Even though there is evidence supporting the big bang, I really don't think that's the answer. The ENTIRE universe existed as an infinitely small infinitely dense point? Really? I have an easier time accepting fundamental particles as existing as a wave and particle at the same time than I do believing in the big bang.

flickher

Old 10-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #484
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post
Am going to somehow do this on my left t1t.
http://www.zo.utexas.edu/faculty/ant...dfilesToL.html

In this style.
http://www.cavityrecords.com/site/wp...-Res-Cover.jpg

Just need to find an artist to bring it all together.
Very cool idea.
TayloMade[07] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #485
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
Quote:
Even though there is evidence supporting the big bang, I really don't think that's the answer. The ENTIRE universe existed as an infinitely small infinitely dense point? Really? I have an easier time accepting fundamental particles as existing as a wave and particle at the same time than I do believing in the big bang.
I have felt this way for a long time. It just is not at all intuitive. For some reason, I feel like the explanation for the beginning will also be intuitively sound. This is in the same line of reasoning as to why I LIKE string theory. It makes more sense for the smallest unit to be made of something, as opposed to point-particle physics that says the smallest unit is a point with no mass. It could be a string as the smallest unit. It could be that a string is the best analogy available to us. It's just that that unit be made of something, not nothing.

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #486
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
why don't my link embed?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ws6AAhTw7RA
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #487
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ween View Post
I have felt this way for a long time. It just is not at all intuitive. For some reason, I feel like the explanation for the beginning will also be intuitively sound. This is in the same line of reasoning as to why I LIKE string theory. It makes more sense for the smallest unit to be made of something, as opposed to point-particle physics that says the smallest unit is a point with no mass. It could be a string as the smallest unit. It could be that a string is the best analogy available to us. It's just that that unit be made of something, not nothing.
But saying that strings are 'it' as far as we're concerned is ok with you? I know that according to Planck, anything smaller "doesn't make physical sense" but intuitively when I see something or read about something it's rational to think that increasingly smaller pieces are responsible. Hell, even the fact that an electron or photon can only be described by a purely mathematical wavefunction sits better with me than saying that a string, a physical entity, is as small as it gets and is comprised of nothing but itself. I think I would feel better about strings if I thought about them as points of vibration giving rise to particles/forces rather than an actual "thing", per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Because you touch yourself at night. And because I made a thread for that video

flickher

Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #488
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
A virus found in the sea off Chile is the biggest in the world, harbouring more than 1000 genes, surprised scientists report. The genome of Megavirus chilensis is 6.5 per cent bigger than the DNA code of the previous virus record-holder, Mimivirus, isolated in 2003. Viruses differ from bacteria in that they are usually far smaller and cannot reproduce on their own, needing to penetrate a host cell in which to replicate.

Story continues below, But M. chilensis is such a giant that it surpasses many bacteria in size and is genetically the most complex DNA virus ever described. It was taken from seawater sample close to the shore of Las Cruces, Chile. Its host organism is unknown. DNA viruses include pox viruses and herpes viruses, but M. chilensis "doesn't seem to be harmful for humans", said Jean-Michel Claverie, of France's National Centre for Scientific Research. The study appears in a US journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
AFP

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/worl...#ixzz1aVsh6qyn
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #489
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
Quote:
But saying that strings are 'it' as far as we're concerned is ok with you? I know that according to Planck, anything smaller "doesn't make physical sense" but intuitively when I see something or read about something it's rational to think that increasingly smaller pieces are responsible. Hell, even the fact that an electron or photon can only be described by a purely mathematical wavefunction sits better with me than saying that a string, a physical entity, is as small as it gets and is comprised of nothing but itself. I think I would feel better about strings if I thought about them as points of vibration giving rise to particles/forces rather than an actual "thing", per se.
A point that vibrates leads me to the question: what is doing the vibrating? Even if it is posed that these strings are made of something smaller, I prefer that the smallest part, at whatever point in the search for the smallest part we are at, is still made of something. I think that while string theory complicates some things (dimensions?), it is also in a better position to combine micro and macro physics for a reason. Ultimately, that reason is having a smallest part as opposed to having a zero point.

Again: big bang could not have started at one point. Just doesn't make sense. ;-)

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #490
cowmoo32
drunken science

Asking what is vibrating is like asking through what does a light wave propagate, or, What is the aether? I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that spacetime isn't a physical entity, per se, but a metric of curvature. It is a purely mathematical construct, like a wavefunction. I started a fairly lengthy discussion on the physics forums with that very question and it seems there still isn't a definitive answer outside of the mathematical description. Well, it actually started with me asking just what light really is, but that led to a discussion on spacetime.

http://physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=510107

flickher

Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #491
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:

Because you touch yourself at night. And because I made a thread for that video
i missed it
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #492
ride365

The reason I find this interesting is because that looks like what people describe from near-death experiences... traveling very quickly through space in a dark tunnel with a bright light at the end.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #493
cowmoo32
drunken science

^ APOD is my homepage and I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I watched that this morning. Another very cool thought: When we die time isn't supposed to exist. Guess what? From a photon's POV, time doesn't exist. Although another possible answer to the tunnel effect is that when every optical nerve fires at the same time you see something akin to a bright white tunnel. I'll see if I can find the page, but I saw simulations of what it would look like for your visual cortex to be in overdrive and it looks a lot like artists' depictions of near death experiences.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-18-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #494
ride365

^ Interesting. Does the optic phenomenon also account for the reported sensation of movement and blinding speed?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #495
cowmoo32
drunken science

No. I know I've mentioned it before, but some people think the brain produces an inordinate amount of DMT just before death, and the experiences from clinical trials strongly mirror actual near death experiences. This easily explains the floating feeling.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #496
TayloMade[07]

Dry ice and Magnets? cowmoo/K2 what is this wizardary.

http://thechive.com/2011/10/18/not-m...-holmes-video/

edit: nvm I listened to the audio this time. liquid nitrogen.

Last edited by TayloMade[07]; 10-18-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #497
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayloMade[07] View Post
Dry ice and Magnets? cowmoo/K2 what is this wizardary.

http://thechive.com/2011/10/18/not-m...-holmes-video/

edit: nvm I listened to the audio this time. liquid nitrogen.
Check it
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=quantum

flickher

Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #498
TayloMade[07]

O... well I was close. hahaha
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #499
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
^ APOD is my homepage and I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I watched that this morning. Another very cool thought: When we die time isn't supposed to exist. Guess what? From a photon's POV, time doesn't exist. Although another possible answer to the tunnel effect is that when every optical nerve fires at the same time you see something akin to a bright white tunnel. I'll see if I can find the page, but I saw simulations of what it would look like for your visual cortex to be in overdrive and it looks a lot like artists' depictions of near death experiences.
this reminds me of our talk in the UFO thread, about how time is not true of things in themselves, but instead just a construct of the human mind to help differentiate objects temporally.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #500
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
this reminds me of our talk in the UFO thread, about how time is not true of things in themselves, but instead just a construct of the human mind to help differentiate objects temporally.
The ONLY thing, and I mean the one and only thing, that keeps me believing that time is independent of the brain is entropy. I've been thinking of ways to look at entropy in a different manner, though. Instead of a measure of disorder, I wonder what would change if we look at it as a measure of homogeneity or smoothness?

flickher