E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #21
e46stallion

My Ride: fwd
Send a message via AIM to e46stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
You're right, I need to get used to it, since I'll be doing what will feel like hundreds of millions of these in the next 3 years.

Stoked for it, seņor.
seriously pick up a $20 film slr and get shootin
Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #22
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Gonna start researching right now.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #23
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Film just has a different "look" that you can't replicate on digital...film scanning is fun too
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #24
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
I'm gonna be doing a shiit ton of Medium format next semester.
Sorta similar process?
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #25
K3B!n

My Ride: 4 wheels
a few taken a few years back with my OM-1. Film is just too much fun

16350010 by kloung, on Flickr

Big Bro by kloung, on Flickr
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #26
JRos

My Ride: SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Good thread idea.

What's the best way to get your film photo's on the computer, DSLR? The photo scanners we have at school only scans up to 8.5x11.
My school has this rig thing set up that has a 5DMKII hanging above that can take a picture of your picture. It needs to be precisely parallel or your picture will come out distorted so I wouldn't recommend doing this on your own.

Quote:
Okay I'm intrigued.

Why is it so much better/why do you freaks like it so much?
A lot of people will tell you it creates a certain 'look' that can't be replicated with digital. I personally don't want that look anyways, so films not for me.

I had a huge post typed up but figured you would have no idea what I was talking about, so here's the simplified version. What film did for me was make me appreciate the tools that are available today. I would spend many many hours developing film and printing in the darkroom. I had to do everything myself because it was a required part of my grade. I guess for you guys you could just have someone else do it for you. The cost of film and paper quickly added up, especially if you were like me and took 8+ sheets to get a perfect print. A sheet of paper was roughly $.75 and a roll of film was roughly $7. I feel like this part held me back. Because I was reluctant to spend too much money, I was hesitant to shoot and waste my film. With digital you can just shoot anything you want since it's essentially 'free' (minus the shutter life of course). Then there's the really annoying part of waiting to see your picture. You'd crank out a roll, hoping you did fine, only to find that 28 out of your 36 pictures sucked. Now you have to start the whole process all over again.

Compare that to now. You shoot your picture, and it's there on the back of your camera. You go home and you can immediately view it on your computer. If your pictures happened to suck, no biggy, you can possibly save it with programs. You start to appreciate what you have and it kind of changes the way you approach shooting. It has for me anyways.

When purchasing your camera make sure you buy one that's compatible with your lens. I made the mistake of buying a camera that didn't have an aperture setting on camera, so you needed a lens with an aperture ring, which mine didn't have. The newer film cameras should have an aperture setting though.
JRos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46stallion View Post
haha its not that its better. for me its that ive basically only shot digital and to take a photograph and not know what it looks like right at that moment is kinda exciting haha i went out earlier and just shot random stuff and it was a different feeling than shooting digital...idk i cant explain it but its cool
this is how I feel with my GoPro..
Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
e46stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRos View Post
My school has this rig thing set up that has a 5DMKII hanging above that can take a picture of your picture. It needs to be precisely parallel or your picture will come out distorted so I wouldn't recommend doing this on your own.

A lot of people will tell you it creates a certain 'look' that can't be replicated with digital. I personally don't want that look anyways, so films not for me.

I had a huge post typed up but figured you would have no idea what I was talking about, so here's the simplified version. What film did for me was make me appreciate the tools that are available today. I would spend many many hours developing film and printing in the darkroom. I had to do everything myself because it was a required part of my grade. I guess for you guys you could just have someone else do it for you. The cost of film and paper quickly added up, especially if you were like me and took 8+ sheets to get a perfect print. A sheet of paper was roughly $.75 and a roll of film was roughly $7. I feel like this part held me back. Because I was reluctant to spend too much money, I was hesitant to shoot and waste my film. With digital you can just shoot anything you want since it's essentially 'free' (minus the shutter life of course). Then there's the really annoying part of waiting to see your picture. You'd crank out a roll, hoping you did fine, only to find that 28 out of your 36 pictures sucked. Now you have to start the whole process all over again.

Compare that to now. You shoot your picture, and it's there on the back of your camera. You go home and you can immediately view it on your computer. If your pictures happened to suck, no biggy, you can possibly save it with programs. You start to appreciate what you have and it kind of changes the way you approach shooting. It has for me anyways.

When purchasing your camera make sure you buy one that's compatible with your lens. I made the mistake of buying a camera that didn't have an aperture setting on camera, so you needed a lens with an aperture ring, which mine didn't have. The newer film cameras should have an aperture setting though.
good point.

but for me it is basically the opposite. i never shot film really before so for me i like the fact that you dont see the photo right away, it makes it exciting...sure it can get expensive but i really only plan on shooting for fun...i always have my digital slr.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
pswirley

My Ride: 330i
I have the baby Rolleiflex ready to shoot, but good luck finding 4x4 127 film, let alone under 12 or 13 bucks a roll. Even that wouldn't be a big deal, except a roll only gives you 8 shots.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #30
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
good point.

but for me it is basically the opposite. i never shot film really before so for me i like the fact that you dont see the photo right away, it makes it exciting...sure it can get expensive but i really only plan on shooting for fun...i always have my digital slr.
More often than not, if I want to get something on film and I have time to think about it, I'll shoot digital first to get the right exposure then swap bodies and do it again in film.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #31
e46stallion

headed out to costco to pick up my scans hopefully something came out
Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #32
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
I just photographed mine with horrible lighting at my house. They lost a lot of detail in the wheels and the front end, but here they are anyway.

Last edited by JSanders; 10-18-2011 at 11:06 PM.
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #33
e46stallion

^nice dude! i actually really dig those!

heres a few i shot. really random stuff...nothing serious. but im officially obsessed haha

nikon N8008s. 85 1.4. Kodak Portra 400

Film
Film
Old 10-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #34
ride365

Quote:
Okay I'm intrigued.

Why is it so much better/why do you freaks like it so much?
I don't think it's better. It's kind of like working on your car or driving a manual transmission... a more hands-on experience that makes you appreciate what you're doing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRos View Post
Then there's the really annoying part of waiting to see your picture.
Quote:
That's definitely part of the appeal for me... the anticipation, the unpredictability, the reward. I can shoot 100 digital photos, take it back to the computer to review and just think, ehh, and move on. With film you go buy the film, you load it into the camera with care, you go shooting, if you don't finish the current roll you wait until the next time you get to shoot, you remove the film with care, you drive it to the developer, YOU LEAVE IT, you come back later (days if it's a custom shop), and while the person is ringing up your total, you're tearing into the envelope as calmly as you can to see what prize you got. It's just different.

This is what I started out on, a Nikon F. With this camera, I use strictly black and white film: Ilford FP4 or Delta 100.

For total fun, I got a Blackbird Fly: 35mm twin-lens reflex. I use Kodak color in that.

One more thing... I typically just get my film processed and scanned. If I really like something, then I'll get it printed from the negative or do PP and printing from the digital scan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FTNBig.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	421460   Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbirdfly.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	421467  

Last edited by ride365; 10-20-2011 at 09:54 AM.
ride365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #35
e46stallion

^great stuff man!!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #36
JRos

My Ride: SL500
Quote:
good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
That's definitely part of the appeal for me... the anticipation, the unpredictability, the reward. I can shoot 100 digital photos, take it back to the computer to review and just think, ehh, and move on. With film you go buy the film, you load it into the camera with care, you go shooting, if you don't finish the current roll you wait until the next time you get to shoot, you remove the film with care, you drive it to the developer, YOU LEAVE IT, you come back later (days if it's a custom shop), and while the person is ringing up your total, you're tearing into the envelope as calmly as you can to see what prize you got. It's just different.

Costs definitely add up. That along with your extra time and effort make you more selective with your shooting. With digital I get about 10% "success" rate, meaning shots that I'm proud of... and I'm a conservative shooter. With most rolls of film it's more like 50-75% success rate for me. It's definitely influenced how I shoot digital. I think I have a much more discerning eye because of my experience with film. I never just rattle off shots like I'm on a slot machine hoping to get lucky.
We all have such different ways of seeing it. To me, waiting for film photos to come out isn't like unwrapping a present, it's like waiting to find out how badly I screwed up, because you can't do anything to the picture. Digital is actually more alike to opening presents for me. I love knowing I can go home and play around with all the pictures I took. Usually when I go shoot I don't sleep that following night lol.

I actually like the idea of rattling off shots. I've gotten quite a few decent shots that way. I'm not saying that should be the way you shoot, but it's not like it's a bad thing. For me rattling off shots would be something like street photography or candid stuff so maybe my definition is a bit different than yours.

e46stallion, those color prints came out great. I've never shot in color before, just b&w.
JRos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #37
330CK

My Ride: > your ride
I bought a medium format Hasselblad about a year ago and these are from the first any only roll I shot with it. It was 12 exposures and I loaded it wrong, so I ended up with only 8... I'd love to shoot more but the Zeiss lens I had a small fungus growing in one of the elements and it got worse over the few months I owned it so I sold it before it became a big problem. Camera has a half-exposed roll of film and I'll eventually get another lens for it. But I digress...

One of my favorite shots I've ever shot, regardless of format:

Film is still better in extra-fine detail resolution. Digital is only just catching up to the amount of 'megapixels' of film.
330CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 AM   #38
Team_Persia

My Ride: '05 ZHP 'Vert - SOLD
damn, you guys make me want to shoot film... sortve...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post
I bought a medium format Hasselblad about a year ago and these are from the first any only roll I shot with it. It was 12 exposures and I loaded it wrong, so I ended up with only 8... I'd love to shoot more but the Zeiss lens I had a small fungus growing in one of the elements and it got worse over the few months I owned it so I sold it before it became a big problem. Camera has a half-exposed roll of film and I'll eventually get another lens for it. But I digress...

One of my favorite shots I've ever shot, regardless of format:

Film is still better in extra-fine detail resolution. Digital is only just catching up to the amount of 'megapixels' of film.
Those are some sweet shots...I want a Hassie but can't justify spending money on photo gear atm..
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #40
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
^nice dude! i actually really dig those!
I couldn't agree more! Those are sweet shots

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote