E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #81
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzzoe View Post
At what cost though? I like the look of V710's better anyway, gonna go with those at only $100 more. Powdercoating is what, $100 per wheel compared to $100 more total for the set on the gunmetal VMRs?
If you'd rather go with VMR wheels then absolutely, go for those, they're great wheels for the money as well. We're a stocking distributor with all the colors as well:

Jurrian T. | Jurrian@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #82
seacorb

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpratt2 View Post
Function over form. For cars that we put expensive mods on to squeeze out every pony, why take 10 steps backwards with larger heavier wheels?
this.
seacorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #83
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzzoe View Post
At what cost though? I like the look of V710's better anyway, gonna go with those at only $100 more. Powdercoating is what, $100 per wheel compared to $100 more total for the set on the gunmetal VMRs?
It's not about cost, it's about weight. Those VMRs are definitely nice wheels, but are heavy as hell. I'd pay a little more for a forged set of lighter wheels any day.

Plus, forged wheels = stronger wheels.
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:

Last edited by DJ Reminisce; 10-21-2011 at 11:45 AM.
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #84
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 323ci / E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
It's not about cost, it's about weight. Those VMRs are definitely nice wheels, but are heavy as hell. I'd pay a little more for a forged set of lighter wheels any day.

Plus, forged wheels = stronger wheels.
If you're into the CSL style but want something a little lighter, I would recommend that you check out the Sportline CS16 Rotary Forged wheels. The Sportline CS16 wheels are going to be lighter and stronger than standard cast wheels. With that Here are a few comparison shot between the VMR VB3, Alufelgen CS7, and Sportline CS16 wheels for you to check out!

Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm / Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates and discounts!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #85
liquiddawn

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Wow, I've never seen all three in one shot like that. Honestly, barring the weight, the VMR's look the best.
liquiddawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #86
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddawn View Post
Wow, I've never seen all three in one shot like that. Honestly, barring the weight, the VMR's look the best.
Yeah, but the weight, at almost 29 pounds, is hard to get over lol

Plus, they aren't forged, so they are inherently weaker and more prone to damage from potholes and such.

To each their own.
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #87
liquiddawn

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
Yeah, but the weight, at almost 29 pounds, is hard to get over lol

Plus, they aren't forged, so they are inherently weaker and more prone to damage from potholes and such.

To each their own.
This is true. I still went with the VMR's. I just avoid potholes as much as I can. Haven't hit one yet! Thankfully.
liquiddawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #88
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
umm...actually they're 25.7 lbs front and 27.00 lbs rear

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...50&postcount=4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyMatt View Post
Oh I just looked at modbargains website.

http://www.modbargains.com/VMR-VB3-B...-Wheels-19.htm

They say 24, and 25 there. haha.
Quote:
That's funny, I guess they sprinkle their wheels with pixie dust or something to make theirs lighter.
Quote:
hahahaha its magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post

Haha, now look at how much they weigh. Guess it is magic. What a joke, someone needs to tell Modbargains to pull their head out and get consistant.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #89
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
If you're just going to use wheels for looks, I'd just get wheels that you like and look the best. Save the extra money you would spend on forged 19's and invest them in a nice set 17" or 18" high performance track wheels
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #90
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 323ci / E92 335i
Quote:
If you're just going to use wheels for looks, I'd just get wheels that you like and look the best. Save the extra money you would spend on forged 19's and invest them in a nice set 17" or 18" high performance track wheels
The Sportline CS16 wheels are rotary forged and are actually affordable and wont break the bank. A non-staggered set of 18" Sportline CS16 start at $899 and is definitely a track performance ready wheel!

Quote:
Haha, now look at how much they weigh. Guess it is magic. What a joke, someone needs to tell Modbargains to pull their head out and get consistant.
The wheels that we weight in that comparison were all 19x9.5 ET20-33 offsets. A wheel with a lower offset is going to have more back spacing material, thus increasing the weight. A wheel with a higher offset would have less back spacing material and will be much lighter. It's possible that the weights listed on the site are of the 19x8.5 ET40 offsets which would be significantly lighter than the 19x9.5 ET22 wheels.
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm / Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates and discounts!

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 10-21-2011 at 05:18 PM.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #91
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
The wheels that we weight in that comparison were all 19x9.5 ET20-33 offsets. A wheel with a lower offset is going to have more back spacing material, thus increasing the weight. A wheel with a higher offset would have less back spacing material and will be much lighter. It's possible that the weights listed on the site are of the 19x8.5 ET40 offsets which would be significantly lighter than the 19x9.5 ET22 wheels.
Thats true. Never thought of that!

I think I'm gonna start a thread soon of the weight of my wheels + tire. Really curious of the actual weight now. Haha
Old 10-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #92
Alex323Ci

Quote:
The wheels that we weight in that comparison were all 19x9.5 ET20-33 offsets. A wheel with a lower offset is going to have more back spacing material, thus increasing the weight.
A wheel with a higher offset would have less back spacing material and will be much lighter.
It's possible that the weights listed on the site are of the 19x8.5 ET40 offsets which would be significantly lighter than the 19x9.5 ET22 wheels.
yeah right, 4-5 lbs worth.

whatever your excuse is it's on YOUR WEBSITE. you need to fix it

...Size ..Bolt Pattern.. Offset.. ...... Weight..
19x8.5.... 5x120.... +40, +20.......... 24.75 lbs....
19x9.5... 5x120....+45, +33, +22... 25.25 lbs..

So YOUR website says 25.25lbs and now your photo says 29 lbs.

as far as wheels you used in your comparision, they should all be the SAME size and Offsets and the same scale
Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #93
Alex323Ci

to make things even more confusing, here's EAS with VMR CSL 19x9.5

and the thread about the confusing weights posted
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...50#post9877850

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 10-21-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #94
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
to make things even more confusing, here's EAS with VMR CSL 19x9.5
I'm so confused now...
Old 10-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #95
screamer-beemer531

My Ride: BMW M3 E46 6spd PY
Well it's not like you're gonna lose that much performance with the 19s so get those for a better look. It does increase rotating weight and the weight is further from the center but it's not like it's a Lamborghini so you won't notice a difference. 19s it is.
screamer-beemer531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #96
Akovski

My Ride: 323CI
19s
Akovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #97
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer-beemer531 View Post
Well it's not like you're gonna lose that much performance with the 19s so get those for a better look. It does increase rotating weight and the weight is further from the center but it's not like it's a Lamborghini so you won't notice a difference. 19s it is.
actually the less power the more likely you will notice and the more power the less you'd notice
Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #98
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
actually the less power the more likely you will notice and the more power the less you'd notice
Very true. Honestly though... Ever since I put on my 19's, haven't noticed much of a difference. Not enough at least to make a difference.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #99
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
I think you are trying to say that you are more likely to notice a drop in power than an increase in power.
If that is the case, then I must be super sensitive. Because I noticed a difference in acceleration just switching from the crappy (and loud) General UHP's that were on my car when I bought it, to a set of Michelin PS2's. The new Michelins were noticeably lighter than the old Generals. I can also tell a difference in power when the temperature goes from warm to cold (not the difference of having the A/C on v/s off). I can't imagine adding 4 - 5lbs or more of weight to each wheel would not be noticeable.
But, in the end, there are trade off's with anything, and I am not criticizing anyone for putting whatever the Hell they want on their car. It is your car, and you are the one who drives it, not a bunch of strangers on the Internet.
I do think it would be interesting to do some blind tests on people using their cars, and switching out between 17, 18, and 19 inch wheels. It would be a cool thing to organize and test. Maybe someone in a place with a lot of e46 drivers could pull together enough people, and convince a retailer like Tire Rack to come out with some different sizes of the same wheel model, with the same model of tire installed, and let people do blind tests. Maybe you SoCal guys? There seem to be a lot of you out there. Maybe I will try to do this here in NC. I have lots of time on my hands.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #100
tpratt2

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325i sport
That would be cool, but then you would have to either have all of the cars drivers revert their car to stock, so their mods dont affect the test, or have all the drivers have the same mods.

Tags
csl, hypersilver, rep, vmr, wheel