E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #2161
loller90278

My Ride: 325i
also, i only get audio from the rear speakers, when i turn navi sound off i get no audio at all :/
loller90278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #2162
mhilas

My Ride: E46 N42
@Whiskydenstore: email me on the nav apk
mhilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #2163
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Ok, quick update:
I got bored, so I started hacking at the Android side. It appears to be very similar to the TI OMAP35xx hardware used in the BeagleBoard. Android is not designed to run natively on this hardware, so it is emulated in qemu with something called Goldfish.
I managed to figure out how to extract the ubi.img file, edit the contents, and rebuild it to something flashable. (currently running my own "custom rom" right now)
I also have root. Working on the force close issue right now. It reared its ugly head ONE REBOOT after first boot, after installing Titanium Backup (root). I'm assuming it has to do with having so little memory to work with on these devices. (128mb I think?)
I plan to release a slightly tweaked version of Dynavin's last release, with out 3g (I don't use it, and I'm assuming most of us here don't, so it's a pointless kernel module to load) and with a bunch of the preloaded apps either removed or updated. It will also be rooted, or at very least root-ready.

Little start to the information -
How to format ANY SD card so the Android side will boot it and load the firmware off it

Must be FAT (otherwise known as FAT16), and set as active. This means no more than 4gb. (you can use larger, but you will have to reformat after to get the rest of your space back)
I used EaseUS Partition Manager to do this. It's free, and is less pissy than Window's disk management, and easier to use than DISKPART.
All you have to do is delete the partition on your SD card (helps to have a dedicated reader here, most phones probably won't work for this), create a new primary FAT(16) partition, and set it to active. Apply changes, wait for it to sync with the OS. Then just load the update files like normal.

From what I've heard, and what I have experienced over the last several hours, it is VERY hard to brick the Android side. (granted, all I've messed with is ubi.img)

Jeff just sent me the magical app that does all this, and I would recommend just doing it the way I just explained if you know anything about partitioning, or are willing to risk messing up an SD card. It is pretty hard to really mess one up though. 98% of the time you can reformat the SD card back to what it should be using a lower level partition manager like DISKPART or EaseUS. PM me if you really b0rk one, and I'll try to help.
Anyways, the reason I suggest using EaseUS is because I'm not a huge fan of using programs that I can't understand due to it all being in Chinese.

Regarding further development:
I would love to get AOSP Gingerbread working on this thing, but it may be out of my knowledge area, and given I only have time on weekends to work on this, I may never get around to it, much less release a working 2.3 ROM for the Dynavin. If anyone here knows anything about Android development and would like to help, PM me. I'll need it.
Other things I'd like to try to do is get some sort of Bluetooth adapter working so we can use Torque. This may also never happen though, since Torque is a HUGE CPU and RAM hog. My HTC Desire died a little while back, so now I have a low end Samsung Acclaim and Torque runs like sh1t on it. The Dynavin is even lower end hardware than the Acclaim, so Torque may be an impossibility for us.

Big Bold Disclaimer: If you don't easily, fully understand what I am talking about in this post, you are best off not doing or following any of it. I am not responsible for anything bad happening, such as bricked SD cards, Dynavins, things starting on fire or going bump in the night. You have been warned.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 10-23-2011 at 12:42 AM.
jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #2164
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Nice work Jim. And for what he has in RED above. Ive flashed countless android units, never bricked one, never seen a bricked unit before, so if they start showing up....I will know why, and we will not be responsible.

End disclaimer.

So proceed at your own risk.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #2165
loller90278

check out xda-developers if you want to learn more about android flashing
Old 10-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #2166
dalelewis1

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3 SMG
It has been my experience that this unit is very buggy at initial start up or at least till the internal battery charges up thourghly so try and have some patience. When I first installed mine it was so buggy that I caught my self laughing at times. Way beyond frustration.
I've had it installed for about a week now and finally worked out all the kinks. Got the Bluetooth dongle to work on the droid side, installed a Bluetooth keyboard, got audio out of all four speakers on the android side (thanks Jeff), got the unit to connect to my android phone hot spot consistently and reliably, got all my apps installed and working (google navigation and pandora are kick ass) and I got a 32gig micro sd card to work perfectly on the droid side so all my music, pics and select movies work great. I never use the radio side of the unit because the android side has every thing an techno nerd would want.

Big props to Jeff and Petrut for all your hard work!

P.S., I think the problem with the GPS grabbing a satellite signal is a firmware issue. I dont think it has anything to do with antenna placement cause ive tried them all. Sometimes it grabs a signal right away and the next time it takes 45 min to grab one and it's totally random. You can be parked in the exact same place every time with the antenna on the dash with a clear view of the sky and still not get a signal. Bury the antenna in the dash and the next time you start the car it grabs a signal right away. Hopefully Dynavin has been experiencing the same issue and will release a patch with the next firmware release. Crossing fingers!
dalelewis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #2167
dalelewis1

The unit I just purchased from Jeff has 256m of ram, a 600 MHz processor and will support up to a 64gig sd card using fat32 as a file structure. It's working fine so far and I've got the sd card almost fully loaded with music and movies. Your right about it not being a powerhouse though. It's specked at about half what my Samsung infuse is with its 1200 MHz processor and 512m of ram and I can hold that in my hand......

Last edited by dalelewis1; 10-23-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #2168
loller90278

Quote:
Originally Posted by loller90278 View Post
I just tried to install mine today and i ran into a problem, maybe its been covered before but i couldnt find it in search... When i use the dynavin homescreen where u can choose radio/disc/bluetooth/etc etc the touch screen works fine. As soon as it switches over to android, none of the buttons work when i touch them on the touchscreen....

any help?
bump -- been going crazy trying to figure this out
Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #2169
loller90278

in other words, the touch screen is unresponsive to the android side, but totally works on the dynavin windowsCE side.

Last edited by loller90278; 10-23-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #2170
jneumann

Quote:
check out xda-developers if you want to learn more about android flashing
The way Dynavin has this loading firmware has absolutely nothing to do with the way you load firmware on the vast majority of Android devices. XDA isn't of much help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalelewis1 View Post
It has been my experience that this unit is very buggy at initial start up or at least till the internal battery charges up thourghly so try and have some patience. When I first installed mine it was so buggy that I caught my self laughing at times. Way beyond frustration.
I've had it installed for about a week now and finally worked out all the kinks. Got the Bluetooth dongle to work on the droid side, installed a Bluetooth keyboard, got audio out of all four speakers on the android side (thanks Jeff), got the unit to connect to my android phone hot spot consistently and reliably, got all my apps installed and working (google navigation and pandora are kick ass) and I got a 32gig micro sd card to work perfectly on the droid side so all my music, pics and select movies work great. I never use the radio side of the unit because the android side has every thing an techno nerd would want.

Big props to Jeff and Petrut for all your hard work!

P.S., I think the problem with the GPS grabbing a satellite signal is a firmware issue. I dont think it has anything to do with antenna placement cause ive tried them all. Sometimes it grabs a signal right away and the next time it takes 45 min to grab one and it's totally random. You can be parked in the exact same place every time with the antenna on the dash with a clear view of the sky and still not get a signal. Bury the antenna in the dash and the next time you start the car it grabs a signal right away. Hopefully Dynavin has been experiencing the same issue and will release a patch with the next firmware release. Crossing fingers!
There is no internal battery, at least not in v5...
What Bluetooth dongle? You are the first person i've heard that has bluetooth working on the Android side. How are you using bluetooth AND wifi on the Android side?
I was under the understanding that v6 just updated the radio side, and didn't do much with the Android side...
The GPS problem was fixed with the latest firmware release last month...

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #2171
DEVIL's Style

My Ride: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Ok, quick update:
I got bored, so I started hacking at the Android side. It appears to be very similar to the TI OMAP35xx hardware used in the BeagleBoard. Android is not designed to run natively on this hardware, so it is emulated in qemu with something called Goldfish.
I managed to figure out how to extract the ubi.img file, edit the contents, and rebuild it to something flashable. (currently running my own "custom rom" right now)
I also have root. Working on the force close issue right now. It reared its ugly head ONE REBOOT after first boot, after installing Titanium Backup (root). I'm assuming it has to do with having so little memory to work with on these devices. (128mb I think?)
I plan to release a slightly tweaked version of Dynavin's last release, with out 3g (I don't use it, and I'm assuming most of us here don't, so it's a pointless kernel module to load) and with a bunch of the preloaded apps either removed or updated. It will also be rooted, or at very least root-ready.

Little start to the information -
How to format ANY SD card so the Android side will boot it and load the firmware off it

Must be FAT (otherwise known as FAT16), and set as active. This means no more than 4gb. (you can use larger, but you will have to reformat after to get the rest of your space back)
I used EaseUS Partition Manager to do this. It's free, and is less pissy than Window's disk management, and easier to use than DISKPART.
All you have to do is delete the partition on your SD card (helps to have a dedicated reader here, most phones probably won't work for this), create a new primary FAT(16) partition, and set it to active. Apply changes, wait for it to sync with the OS. Then just load the update files like normal.

From what I've heard, and what I have experienced over the last several hours, it is VERY hard to brick the Android side. (granted, all I've messed with is ubi.img)

Jeff just sent me the magical app that does all this, and I would recommend just doing it the way I just explained if you know anything about partitioning, or are willing to risk messing up an SD card. It is pretty hard to really mess one up though. 98% of the time you can reformat the SD card back to what it should be using a lower level partition manager like DISKPART or EaseUS. PM me if you really b0rk one, and I'll try to help.
Anyways, the reason I suggest using EaseUS is because I'm not a huge fan of using programs that I can't understand due to it all being in Chinese.

Regarding further development:
I would love to get AOSP Gingerbread working on this thing, but it may be out of my knowledge area, and given I only have time on weekends to work on this, I may never get around to it, much less release a working 2.3 ROM for the Dynavin. If anyone here knows anything about Android development and would like to help, PM me. I'll need it.
Other things I'd like to try to do is get some sort of Bluetooth adapter working so we can use Torque. This may also never happen though, since Torque is a HUGE CPU and RAM hog. My HTC Desire died a little while back, so now I have a low end Samsung Acclaim and Torque runs like sh1t on it. The Dynavin is even lower end hardware than the Acclaim, so Torque may be an impossibility for us.

Big Bold Disclaimer: If you don't easily, fully understand what I am talking about in this post, you are best off not doing or following any of it. I am not responsible for anything bad happening, such as bricked SD cards, Dynavins, things starting on fire or going bump in the night. You have been warned.
Have you noticed that the android side is running on 500 mhz instead off 600? the procesor is an arm V7 capable of maximum 720 mhz but it's fixed to 500mhz. If you want to make bluetooth work on the android side , take a hub usb , plus in usb wireless and the bluetooth , however i don't think that the will work simultaneously. The catch is simple , we have to find a bluetooth receiver on the market with similar chipset used on first android phones or something that uses native drivers. if we found that , we have the solution for obd torque. I still work on this and i will keep with updates. best regards from romania.

I hear that dynavin want to release a firmware update for the v6 android , is that true? because we need it.
DEVIL's Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #2172
jneumann

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVIL's Style View Post
Have you noticed that the android side is running on 500 mhz instead off 600? the procesor is an arm V7 capable of maximum 720 mhz but it's fixed to 500mhz. If you want to make bluetooth work on the android side , take a hub usb , plus in usb wireless and the bluetooth , however i don't think that the will work simultaneously. The catch is simple , we have to find a bluetooth receiver on the market with similar chipset used on first android phones or something that uses native drivers. if we found that , we have the solution for obd torque. I still work on this and i will keep with updates. best regards from romania.

I hear that dynavin want to release a firmware update for the v6 android , is that true? because we need it.
Yeah, I actually just noticed that a couple hours ago. I tried to use SetCPU to overclock it then realized it's running inside an emulator, so SetCPU does zilch. If we want to overclock it, we'll have to figure out how to set the clock speed outside the emulator.

As for bluetooth, I have yet to get a USB hub to work properly, with a usb drive and the wireless stick for example. PM me if you find any bluetooth adapters that work, or have .ko's that I can integrate in to try. Otherwise, I should be able to inject any drivers into the ROM to make any device work, the trick is finding the driver.
My current driver project is getting rtl8187 wireless chipsets working so I can use the far more common Realtek based wireless cards with it, with the added benefit of being able to use ultra high power Alfa usb wifi adapters. No luck so far.

I do have scaling fixed though. (something I asked Dynavin for many months ago) The default is 240 and I changed it to 192 so we can fit more stuff on the screen and buttons/text/the status bar/icons are not massive anymore.

I am taking requests and beta testers
Make sure you read my big bold disclaimer up above first.
I'm taking requests for stuff to include/exclude/fix in the current stock ROM. No "add a driver for this device" unless you have the .ko file for me to include.
I am already removing anything and everything to do with the Phone side of Android. Seems kinda pointless on this unit. I'm also removing the Calendar.
I'm also planning on removing 3g support. I don't have a modem for it, and I bet most everyone else doesn't either.

If you want to be a beta tester, just sent me a PM. You MUST have a good understanding of Android and what you are doing. If you have never rooted an Android phone before, I'd stay away.

Any betas I release will be functionality tested on my Dynavin, and if they don't blow up in the first 10-20 minutes, I usually call it good and continue on. I have v0.03 ready right now for anyone who wants root on their Dynavin without waiting. I would consider it pretty stable. I got one force close in roughly 8 flashes that went away after the next boot. All that has been changed on this ROM is the adding of su, busybox, and Superuser. It is not rooted out of the box, but fairly easy to do, at which point you can run *most* root-requiring apps.

I plan to start a new thread for all of this sometime tonight since most people here are probably not interested in this.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #2173
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Well it only took 8 months and 109 pages but this thread is finally going where I had hoped it would!
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #2174
loller90278

Quote:
Yeah, I actually just noticed that a couple hours ago. I tried to use SetCPU to overclock it then realized it's running inside an emulator, so SetCPU does zilch. If we want to overclock it, we'll have to figure out how to set the clock speed outside the emulator.

As for bluetooth, I have yet to get a USB hub to work properly, with a usb drive and the wireless stick for example. PM me if you find any bluetooth adapters that work, or have .ko's that I can integrate in to try. Otherwise, I should be able to inject any drivers into the ROM to make any device work, the trick is finding the driver.
My current driver project is getting rtl8187 wireless chipsets working so I can use the far more common Realtek based wireless cards with it, with the added benefit of being able to use ultra high power Alfa usb wifi adapters. No luck so far.

I do have scaling fixed though. (something I asked Dynavin for many months ago) The default is 240 and I changed it to 192 so we can fit more stuff on the screen and buttons/text/the status bar/icons are not massive anymore.

I am taking requests and beta testers
Make sure you read my big bold disclaimer up above first.
I'm taking requests for stuff to include/exclude/fix in the current stock ROM. No "add a driver for this device" unless you have the .ko file for me to include.
I am already removing anything and everything to do with the Phone side of Android. Seems kinda pointless on this unit. I'm also removing the Calendar.
I'm also planning on removing 3g support. I don't have a modem for it, and I bet most everyone else doesn't either.

If you want to be a beta tester, just sent me a PM. You MUST have a good understanding of Android and what you are doing. If you have never rooted an Android phone before, I'd stay away.

Any betas I release will be functionality tested on my Dynavin, and if they don't blow up in the first 10-20 minutes, I usually call it good and continue on. I have v0.03 ready right now for anyone who wants root on their Dynavin without waiting. I would consider it pretty stable. I got one force close in roughly 8 flashes that went away after the next boot. All that has been changed on this ROM is the adding of su, busybox, and Superuser. It is not rooted out of the box, but fairly easy to do, at which point you can run *most* root-requiring apps.

I plan to start a new thread for all of this sometime tonight since most people here are probably not interested in this.
any possibility to root+install no frills cpu to overclock processor?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #2175
jneumann

Quote:
any possibility to root+install no frills cpu to overclock processor?
Got root, overclock will take awhile since it will have to happen outside Android, and deal directly with the OMAP35xx processor.

To be honest, the CPU is actually quite fast for 500Mhz. I tested it with Quadrant today and the CPU benches about as well as the Nexus, but Memory is kinda slow. I'll try to get a screenshot up sometime.

Is anyone here an Android developer? I understand the theory behind everything, but I don't fully understand the code if I have to do any recompiling or cross compiling.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #2176
loller90278

i'm in the same boat as you. i can cross compile but don't full understand the code either :/

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THE TOUCHSCREEN ON THE ANDROID SIDE OF MY UNIT IS UNRESPONSIVE?!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #2177
DEVIL's Style

Quote:
Got root, overclock will take awhile since it will have to happen outside Android, and deal directly with the OMAP35xx processor.

To be honest, the CPU is actually quite fast for 500Mhz. I tested it with Quadrant today and the CPU benches about as well as the Nexus, but Memory is kinda slow. I'll try to get a screenshot up sometime.

Is anyone here an Android developer? I understand the theory behind everything, but I don't fully understand the code if I have to do any recompiling or cross compiling.
The overclock will not work because even in stock mode , the unit is heating preety much when you use it...so be careful. I'm not an advanced user in android but i learn quick , if you search/need help also pm me , i will ofer you all my support.

Ideas for your custom rom : Try to find if this board has an extra usb plug on the board [ like the v5 ] , because it's a little easy after that. You can use it like an external storage device. Also i recomend everyone to buy a decent memory card [ class 10 ]. I already search for an android developer.

Loler : the touchscreen is unresponsive on the android side , when you plug something in the front usb. I have the same problem too

Last edited by DEVIL's Style; 10-23-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: PS
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #2178
dalelewis1

Quote:

I just bought 2 powered USB hubs from comp USA plugged them in but didn't power them off the included transformers. Just using them in passive mode. The Navi side works well with the hub in passive mode and is powering a Belkin N draft card and a small Bluetooth dongle that I had laying around in the garage, both at the same time. I'll check the manufacturer tomorrow and post it for you guys. Both devices loaded right away and configured with ease. Got lucky I guess. As I said before, I loaded the drivers for a Bluetooth mini keyboard and it works. It was a configuration challenge but it did work after an hour of messing around with different versions of the software.

As for the radio side, it doesn't like the USB hub in passive mode at all. It won't power any device no matter how small the power requirements are. I haven't tried it with the transformer plugged in yet so I will be testing that later.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #2179
DEVIL's Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalelewis1 View Post
I just bought 2 powered USB hubs from comp USA plugged them in but didn't power them off the included transformers. Just using them in passive mode. The Navi side works well with the hub in passive mode and is powering a Belkin N draft card and a small Bluetooth dongle that I had laying around in the garage, both at the same time. I'll check the manufacturer tomorrow and post it for you guys. Both devices loaded right away and configured with ease. Got lucky I guess. As I said before, I loaded the drivers for a Bluetooth mini keyboard and it works. It was a configuration challenge but it did work after an hour of messing around with different versions of the software.

As for the radio side, it doesn't like the USB hub in passive mode at all. It won't power any device no matter how small the power requirements are. I haven't tried it with the transformer plugged in yet so I will be testing that later.
You say that the unit can power the wireless and bluetooth at the same time? that is great , but what bluetooth receiver do you used?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #2180
dalelewis1

Quote:
You say that the unit can power the wireless and bluetooth at the same time? that is great , but what bluetooth receiver do you used?
Cant remember. Ill check tomorrow and post pics. It was just laying around and I grabbed it on a whim banking it wouldnt work but it did and works perfectly.