E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #101
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 323ci / E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
yeah right, 4-5 lbs worth.

whatever your excuse is it's on YOUR WEBSITE. you need to fix it

...Size ..Bolt Pattern.. Offset.. ...... Weight..
19x8.5.... 5x120.... +40, +20.......... 24.75 lbs....
19x9.5... 5x120....+45, +33, +22... 25.25 lbs..

So YOUR website says 25.25lbs and now your photo says 29 lbs.

as far as wheels you used in your comparision, they should all be the SAME size and Offsets and the same scale
Yes, it's actually likely that there is a 4-5 lbs difference between the 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 wheels alone. Yes, the website does show the weight of 25.25 lbs but it is not listed specifically for a wheel size or offset chosen. It's merely listed to give you guys a general idea of how much the wheel weighs.

The wheel size/offsets used in the comparison pictures above are:
VMR VB3: 19x9.5 ET22
Alufelgen CS7 19x9.5 ET35
Sportline CS16: 19x9.5 ET22

** NOTE: we did not have the Alufelgen 19x9.5 ET20 to weigh so we used the 19x9.5 ET35 wheel instead. The 19x9.5 ET20 offset wheel essentially could actually be heavier than the weight shown in the picture **
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm / Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates and discounts!

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 10-23-2011 at 11:29 PM.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #102
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpratt2 View Post
That would be cool, but then you would have to either have all of the cars drivers revert their car to stock, so their mods dont affect the test, or have all the drivers have the same mods.
Not necessarily. I am proposing that we test whether a person driving his own car would be able to notice the difference in performance between different wheel diameters, in a blind test. They would not know what size was mounted, they would just be asked if they felt a difference in acceleration, cornering, road feel, braking, and ride quality when going from a 17 to 18 to 19 inch wheel. I am sure that most would notice a difference in cornering between a 17in wheel and a 19in wheel, but I wonder if the difference in acceleration would be noticeable when doing back to back tests. So, nothing scientific, just perception. I suppose that it would not hurt to measure acceleration as well. So, with a test like this, the suspension setup they have would not matter, since they would only be comparing how their car feels to them, not one car v/s another. Of course, if their car is so low that it creates a clearance issue, then it would be a problem.
Anyway, it is just speculation for now. I have no idea if something like that could even be arranged. I also don't know if I could find enough people to agree to have 3 separate sets of wheels mounted on their car for testing purposes. People can be pretty picky when it comes to things like that.

Maybe whoever is posting on this thread for Modbargins would be interested in helping out with a test like this? How about it? Do you want to come to NC, and help out with a wheel test? Or, you could just send me the wheel/tire sets, and I could arrange the tests, take some photos, and post a thread about it on here. I could send the wheels back when we were done, and you would not have to come to NC. Also, you could get some free publicity!

Last edited by MJLavelle; 10-24-2011 at 03:20 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #103
tpratt2

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325i sport
Ah youre right, a blind test would be best so as not to include any "I have 19's on... Im pretty sure the car is slower" which is all in the drivers head. I think a sponsored event like that could gather a big crowd provided the right track and networking.

Tags
csl, hypersilver, rep, vmr, wheel