E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
crristic

My Ride: e46 320i
Yeah... But i rarely use the unit for playing movies... Seems pretty stupid limiting those settings to dvd playback. All i wanted was to adjust the screen settings for a better view during days with strong sunlight (i'm usimg the ipod interface most of the time). Supposing i get a 7 inch antiglare protection film, would it make a considerable difference?
crristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #22
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
No, I dont really want to reinvent the wheel here as this has already been discussed endlessly...BUT...You are going to get a reflection on the Dynavins screen no matter what, The dash is angled in such a way that the dynaivns screen will always be reflecting the back window, some anti glare screens may help marginally, some may make it worse. Window tint certainly helps but its all trial and error.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #23
crristic

My Ride: e46 320i
Got it, thanks. Since winter is coming i guess this fix can wait. Don't really want to tint my windows, cops around here are really "sensitive" with the tinted windows, don't want to get pulled over on a weekly basis
crristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Jeff, can you change tracks using the steering wheel controls while at this screen? Or do you have to navigate like in the D90 - "R/T" button to go back, up and down to select the song then "talk" to enter. Was hoping the ipod "now playing" screen pictured below would work the way it does in the D90 when in navi mode- up and down buttons on the steering controls change tracks instantly.

Also, are the "up" and "down" arrows on the touch screen still there? Could you still use those to scroll through the songs/playlists, and do the "left" and "right" arrows still advance to the next "page"?

And finally, would you happen to know if the V6 drains the first-gen iPod Video's battery when left connected, like the V5 did? Thanks!

Last edited by robin325ci; 10-26-2011 at 08:37 PM.
robin325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
BGAndrea

My Ride: 2012 Audi S4 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to BGAndrea
What do you need to buy in addition to the Dynavin? Does it come with wi-fi and bluetooth? Someone said that the BT is only on the radio side. Why would I need it on the Android side and how...?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #26
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin325ci View Post
Jeff, can you change tracks using the steering wheel controls while at this screen? Or do you have to navigate like in the D90 - "R/T" button to go back, up and down to select the song then "talk" to enter. Was hoping the ipod "now playing" screen pictured below would work the way it does in the D90 when in navi mode- up and down buttons on the steering controls change tracks instantly.

Also, are the "up" and "down" arrows on the touch screen still there? Could you still use those to scroll through the songs/playlists, and do the "left" and "right" arrows still advance to the next "page"?

And finally, would you happen to know if the V6 drains the first-gen iPod Video's battery when left connected, like the V5 did? Thanks!
the steering wheel buttons are just track forward/back. On the artist/album/playlist/etc... screen, everything is is just touch to select.....so you touch artist, use the "next/previous" screen arrows to fine your selection and touch it....menu button to go back, just like on an ipod, its VERY intuative and works pretty much exactly how you would expect it to. I dont know how the charging with various ipods will work, time will tell.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-26-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #27
jmejiaa

My Ride: 2002 M3
Has anyone purchased this unit yet?

I've been away from the discussion but this unit seems to have what I was missing to purchase the Dynavin(ipod screen prettied up and ipod resume). As far as Android/Windows, I'll need to catch up since IIRC the Android side had a lot of force close issues...

Thanks jeff, keeping a close eye on this one.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #28
jmejiaa

Any changes to the address book? I believe before it was said to have a sync feature that never worked. Is this fixed or removed completely?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #29
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
Any changes to the address book? I believe before it was said to have a sync feature that never worked. Is this fixed or removed completely?
Read Jeff's first post
Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #30
jmejiaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Read Jeff's first post

got it.. skimmed through it and missed it, then searched for the wrong terms

thanks! I'll be looking closely at this version
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #31
geko29

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
Has anyone purchased this unit yet?
I have, and installed it last Thursday. Unfortunately (for the purposes of playing with the Dynavin at least), I've been on vacation since Friday. So I certainly don't have it dialed in yet, just a few hours of familiarization and customization. That said, I'd be more than happy to check on anything you're wondering about on Sunday or Monday.

Last edited by geko29; 10-27-2011 at 11:20 PM.
geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #32
owenxguo

My Ride: 02 M3 + 01 S2000
Ok I guess I finally found the right place lol.

When I was trying to install it, it seems different than Jeff's old post, all wiring stuffs are different, not I know I got a newer version lol. Anyway, I was installing on my 02 with stock Navi yesterday, and found out a few issue with it, guess I have to share, also to see if anyone can help.

1. After install, all buttons back light don't work at all, I am guessing there should be something wrong related with the old Fakra cable pinout, don't have time next week but I'll try to figure out the week after if no one founf out what's wrong.

2. I think still related to the old Fakra cable, there is no old steering wheel control box come with it, but has the new small one in Jeff's picture, part# ARC-002-DYN, I would guess this is the new steering wheel control??? Anyway, the new box has different plug than the one on Fakra cable(I mean if it's really the newer steering control box, if not then it makes sense). So the steering wheel control with Fakra cable doesn't work, the new unit doesn't have a IR plug for old style steering wheel control, but if you see the diagram sticker on the unit, it's parts of the new harness. So I guess they have to make a new Fakra cable soon.

I'v got the Android version, with back up camera as an option, everything else works great so far, just have to figure out the Fakra cable issue.

Last edited by owenxguo; 10-29-2011 at 01:58 AM.
owenxguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #33
Garmac

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenxguo View Post
Ok I guess I finally found the right place lol.

My friends ordered me a Dynavin unit recently as a present, I don't know where they ordered from tho. When I was trying to install it, it seems different than Jeff's old post, all wiring stuffs are different, not I know I got a newer version lol. Anyway, I was installing on my 02 with stock Navi yesterday, and found out a few issue with it, guess I have to share, also to see if anyone can help.

1. After install, all buttons back light don't work at all, I am guessing there should be something wrong related with the old Fakra cable pinout, don't have time next week but I'll try to figure out the week after if no one founf out what's wrong.

2. I think still related to the old Fakra cable, there is no old steering wheel control box come with it, but has the new small one in Jeff's picture, part# ARC-002-DYN, I would guess this is the new steering wheel control??? Anyway, the new box has different plug than the one on Fakra cable(I mean if it's really the newer steering control box, if not then it makes sense). So the steering wheel control with Fakra cable doesn't work, the new unit doesn't have a IR plug for old style steering wheel control, but if you see the diagram sticker on the unit, it's parts of the new harness. So I guess they have to make a new Fakra cable soon.

I'v got the Android version, with back up camera as an option, everything else works great so far, just have to figure out the Fakra cable issue.
From what I understand, if you got the D95 unit you will need to use a new fakra cable that is not out yet...(maybe it is now?) so using the old fakra may cause all those issues you're having...
Garmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #34
owenxguo

Yes
Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #35
owenxguo

Ok finished my work early today, just checked the harness, please check pictures below, there are a few changes from the new harness, but nothing really major.

Left is Fakra harness, and right is the new V6's short harness, this picture shows why my button doesn't light up. As you can see, the Illumi wire(orange on Fakra and light orange on new harness) is one pin to the left on new harness.

As well as the speaker output wires are re-designed at different pin location.

To the trunk side of the Fakra cable, I think there are different version of Fakra cable as well, since my is different than Jeff's installation threat one.

Again, left is Fakra cable I got, and right side is the new V6 harness. As you can see, it's missing the illumi wire, but somehow, there is an orange wire zip tied on the Fakra cable you can see behind, it's part of the Fakra cable, and goes to front plug, so I guess you can just relocate the Dynavin end pin and hook up the illumi wire yourself.

Left Fakra cable, right new harness.

And I guess there are car's year model different too, I guess the reason they don't have that orange wire hooked up to the trunk harness, because there is actually no wire on stock plug.

This is new wiring diagram on V6

Illumi should be easy fix now, I am gonna check the steering control now, will update later.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #36
owenxguo

Quick update before going out for dinner, just fixed everything, here is the solution for steering wheel control.

So the small box come with the V6 is the new steering wheel control box, but it has different connector. So what you can do is, cut the one from the new harness, and replace the Fakra cable one with this new plug. During the work, you will found out that 3 out 4 wires are matching color, which you can basically connect to each other. The other one on Fakra cable is red, but new harness one is brown, as you can see on the new V6's diagram, brown is for IR in. The brown that on Fakra was used for AMP-CON, so you have to cut the AMP-CON and connect to the steering wheel controller plug, and leave the red along. Brown on Dynavin side is still in correct position, so you don't have to do anything to it. Now the steering wheel control works just fine.

For Illumi, relocate the orange wire on dynavin main plug to the right pin position, which is one pin next to it. The trunk side, hook it up to your taillight, you'll be fine.

So everything could be done, just little extra works.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #37
J&T Distributing

Good work and thank you for figuring this out on your own but it is very important to make clear this is because you are using an old D90 fakra cable with a new D95 unit.

So just so everyone who reads this thread for the rest of time understands this is a non issue....if you order a new dynavin you will get the new matching cable.....the above is about matching up non matching parts

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-28-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #38
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
You do realize Jeff how much confusion and questions you're going to get about this now, as if you need anymore
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #39
J&T Distributing

Yes...... if you dont specifically know exactly what owenxguo is talking about....then it doesnt affect you and you will never need to know it.

It is only relevant for people who had a V5 unit AND had a OEM NAV previously AND used a Fakra Cable AND upgraded to the new D95 units AND didnt buy a new D95 Fakra to go with it.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-28-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #40
owenxguo

so I have question here, for older models which directly PNP, when you adjust interior light brightness (illumi), does the dynavin button brightness changes as well? Hot about the screen brightness? Because I just thought about it, if I plug the illumi wire to the taillight, then it will stay at the brightest part and won't change when I adjust with the stock illumi switch. If it doesn't change then I'll just leave it, if it does, guess I have to re-wire it to the illumi switch.

Also I am playing around with the unit, how do you adjust the screen brightness? I found the adjustment page in setup, but when I change the volume of the brightness number, the brightness doesn't change on the screen at all??????