E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Geeyore

My Ride: 2000 323iT
Low Temp Gauge Reading

OK, I've read a couple threads about low temp gauge readings on the console and have three possibilities.

Backgound: This is a 2000 323iT with less than 100K miles and decent (not perfect) maint over the last 10 years. Had a big coolant system replacement at about 70K, a few years ago, due to the notorious E46 disintegrating plastic impeller on the water pump.

Anyway, for the last week or less I've noticed temp gauge taking a long time to get past about 25 percent (normally reads dead center 50 percent of the gauge after initial warmup, just like any other E46).

This morning I drove about 12 miles of highway at 70-80MPH (oops) and it stayed around 25 percent (just above blue). Only when I got off the highway and came to a stoplight did it start a rise to the normal center position, and got to center after about 2 or 3 minutes of 25-30 MPH driving.

Also have noticed an odd smell the past day or two at stoplights, like oil burning. This morning I realized it was my car making that odor. It could also be a coolant smell. I concluded all of this on the way to work this morning and haven't yet popped the hood.

From what I've found here it could be (a) vent screw, (b) thermostat, or (c) leaky radiator cap.

Hopefully I'll be able to make 15 miles back home without problems, and take a look this evening or tomorrow AM.

Anyone have any insights or thoughts?
Geeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
In all likelihood, sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. Not quite sure about the smell, maybe a coincidence? Does it have a sweet smell (I believe that's coolant)? Could be oil and just happened to occur at the same time.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
Doesn't sound like leaking coolant, you would get air in there and then start to over heat... Sounds like thermostat stuck in option, are you getting MIL aka Service Engine Soon aka Check Engine light? Codes read on a Peake?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
[QUOTE=B;13745305]Doesn't sound like leaking coolant, you would get air in there and then start to over heat... Sounds like thermostat stuck in option, are you getting MIL aka Service Engine Soon aka Check Engine light? Codes read on a Peake?[/QUOTE
Option = open
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Geeyore

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
the smell, maybe a coincidence? Does it have a sweet smell (I believe that's coolant)? Could be oil and just happened to occur at the same time.
OK, thanks. That's a vote for thermostat, I'll poke around here for a DIY on replacement. Shouldn't be too challenging, right?

I'm not clear on the smell, whether it's oil or coolant. I've noticed it maybe 3 times in 2 days, and it's pretty faint. But whatever it is, it's from my car.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Geeyore

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
\Sounds like thermostat stuck in option, are you getting MIL aka Service Engine Soon aka Check Engine light? Codes read on a Peake?
No "check engine", no console warnings, nothing. Just the gauge and the very faint odor.... of something. No code check, I don't have the gear.

One of the threads mentioned minor coolant leakage from a decaying vent screw. I guess that'll require a visual inspect, which I'll do tomorrow AM (I want to check oil and radiator cap from a cold start).
Old 10-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Yea, the thermostat is pretty straightforward. A bit more challenging if you have an auto, only cause you have to use a 32mm wrench to get the fan off first. Otherwise pretty simple.

Check for oil, should be pretty easy. If you are smelling something, it may be oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold. When facing the car from the front bumper, look to the left side of the engine (passenger side) and look on the metal heat shield. If there is oil all over it, that may be your culprit.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
Geeyore

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
Yea, the thermostat is pretty straightforward.... Check for oil, should be pretty easy. If you are smelling something, it may be oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold.
Good tips, thanks, will do.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Scotty66

My Ride: E46 330i Sport
The symptoms you have are EXACTLY the same problems as I am having.

Mine is a 2002 330i.

Booked it for a thermostat change on Tuesday so I will let you know the results.

Have you compared your engine temp using the hidden OBC menu?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty66 View Post
The symptoms you have are EXACTLY the same problems as I am having.

Mine is a 2002 330i.

Booked it for a thermostat change on Tuesday so I will let you know the results.

Have you compared your engine temp using the hidden OBC menu?
Definitely stuck open therm; you can drive safely with it for a while...you'll just burn more gas than needed.

When mine occurred someone here suggested I block part of the radiator, like trucks do in the winter...make sure it's not anything that will dissolve from water and clog up the condenser grid (what you might think is the radiator).

Also, it's an easy diy...just doing the therm, very little coolant leaks out, it's a few bolts and a couple of hoses. Not bad at all, though assembly would be easier with new hose(s).

If you're doing it yourself, read/watch our DIYs until you're convulsing...then you'll be ready!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
greenskycity

My Ride: 1999 328i
Mine was doing the exact same thing when I bought it. The low temperature IS the thermostat stuck open. Like someone said, it's a cake walk in this car if it is a 5 speed. You also have a burning oil smell which is the Valve Cover Gasket (VCG). It is originally a rubber piece(s) and the heat turns it into a plastic and I had to break it off of the valve cover in pieces. Obviously, plastic doesn't seal as well as rubber and if you look on the passenger side of the motor you will see oil leaking from around at least one of the valve cover bolts. Do a search on VCG and you will get an idea of what you are in for. No big deal at all.
Green
greenskycity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
daithi1

My Ride: e46 320d 2004
temp guage replaced

Hello, new member, e45, 320d 2004, and just changed the thermostat yesterday. Same problem as above, the temp gauge was running low, about 30% and the heater in the car was blowing warm. using a bit more fuel too.

After changing the thermo the temp guage went back to normal at 12oclock and the heater blew hot.

Unfortunately this only lasted for an hour then the temp gauge returned to around 25% and the heater is again blowing warm air,

Any ideas?

Getting worried now

Last edited by daithi1; 03-24-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling, oops
daithi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi1 View Post
Hello, new member, e45, 320d 2004, and just changed the thermostat yesterday. Same problem as above, the temp gauge was running low, about 30% and the heater in the car was blowing warm. using a bit more fuel too.

After changing the thermo the temp guage went back to normal at 12oclock and the heater blew hot.

Unfortunately this only lasted for an hour then the temp gauge returned to around 25% and the heater is again blowing warm air,

Any ideas?

Getting worried now
Could be your thermostat or then again maybe something else. Under full throttle, the thermostat is electrically heated to open up. Could some kind of defect be causing the stat to open? Haven't heard of that one before. Use the OBC to see what your temps are. Attached is a pdf file (thanks to jofj). Menu item #7. Temps should be in the low to mid 90s (Celsius).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OBC hidden functions.pdf (37.1 KB, 121 views)
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Leak has nothing to do with that. You will get low coolant level warning light first, not such symptom like this.
Remove your thermostat and see if it's stuck wide open. It's unusual, but does happen..

To check coolant temp sensor, get a glass of hot/warm water and put the temp sensor in it. (Don't disconnect the wire, I'm sure you know that already) If temperature gauge responses, your temp sensor is golden.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
APKhaos

My Ride: 99 328i
Sounds a lot like an open thermostat. We had the same problem. New Whaler [OEM] thermostat fixed it.
APKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #16
daithi1

thanks for all the replies guys. just read coolant temp according to the OBC pdf supplied. it reads 65. what's the chances I replaced thermostat with a dodgy, cheap one. hmmm

Last edited by daithi1; 03-25-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
daithi1

a question

Hello, I replaced the thermo with an oem, seems I have the same problem, Can I ask is it normal for the temp gauge to drop when the heater is on? The temp guage now reads at 12 o clock but when I put the heater on it drops about 25% less.

I am not sure if this is the normal as I dont remember noticing it in my previous e46.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #18
daithi1

sorted!

For the benefit of the thread, I replaced the temp sensor, a cheap part, and presto, the temp gauge now sits at 12 o clock,as it is supposed to on an e46 regardless of whether the heater is on or not. Problem solved.

Last edited by daithi1; 04-21-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Tags
coolant, temperature, thermostat