E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #281
a325h

My Ride: '13 2.5SEL Jetta 5MT
Send a message via Skype™ to a325h
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Ok i read to page 11, please excuse me if these have been answered.

1. So if i get the H1 Bi-xenon mini kit, each projector will have a 2nd pair of wires (or a signle wire?) coming from it that flick the shield to make the Hi beam part work?

What you will get is the same as everyone else has gotten. The projectors with a build in Bi-xenon solenoid. There will be a positive and ground wire coming from the solenoid. In images, there is a second pair of wires, they are simply extensions for the existing wires.

1b. Is it a 2nd pair of wires to power the bi-xenon shield, or just a single wire, like a brake light switch or ignition switch?

There will only be 1 set of wires from each projector.

2. If i do not use the bi-xenon feature, i can just run regular low beams,

Yes. The point of the bi-xenon feature is the "bi" part. It works as both a low beam, and a high beam when activated. This way, if you don't use the bi-xenon part, it will only function as a low beam.

3. A325h, am i understanding what you did right, you tapped into the OE high beam wires going to the inner shroud, and made these power the shield? Can u say again, what was the issue you had, and why. So you soldered that same wire tap, or did u remove the tap and splice and then wire?

Not sure I follow you here. I simply tapped into the existing OEM wires with the wires that come from the solenoid. Remember, there is only 1 set of wires coming from the projector. The soldering I did was to make the solenoid wires a bit bigger. I soldered a higher gauge wire to the end to make it fit in the wire tap.

The issue I had was with grounding. The ground post that I used didn't give me a good connection. I fixed this issue by running wires from another ground post to this one, giving a nice connection.

4. Prefacelift, 99-00 sedan guys, are you getting bulb out warnings, should i buy error cancelers too?

I have an 01 and I get no warnings when I didn't have the relay. Now I do get an error that the relay is hooked up.

5. If i already have a HID kit here, but H7 or whatever, all i would need is H1 bulbs right, theyre universal right?

If you already have OEM HIDs that are H7, then why do you need to do this mod? Your bulbs are H7, so you will need to get H7 bulbs. No others will work.

6. whats the relay and harness business you guys keep mentioning about giving flicker relay and harness for what?

The relay takes power from the battery (a constant 12.8v) to power the ballasts. This takes the load off the small gauge OEM wires to the 9006 connectors.

finally, ive never done angles eyes, how the fuk are they done?

http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html

One of the first results when google-ing angel eye installation instructions.

Thanks
Answers in quote.

TRS 5000K XB Bi-Xenons | ümmitza 6000K Opaque AEs | Metallic Tinting | LED Interior Lights
^2001 E46 325i^ SOLD

Current: 2013 SEL 2.5 Jetta 5MT

Last edited by a325h; 11-01-2011 at 11:45 AM.
a325h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #282
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Thanks for the quick response.

1-3. i know how bi-xenons work, im just trying to understand, what makes the shroud/projector know to switch to hi and low, when you activate the stalk. i would like to run bi-xenon and halogen hi beam if possible. Im not getting what makes the projector know to lift the bi-xenon shield

4. relay mentioned in 6, ok.

5. i have a hid KIT, never said my car had HIDs else i wouldnt be looking at this thread. Im merely asking if H1, H7, etc type HID bulbs will work with ANY ballast/harness/HID kit. Is it as simple as swapping bulbs from 3k to 5k, just unplug the H7 bulbs and run H1 bulbs with my already here HID kit?

6. Does this relay come with the HID kit? how does it get into the picture, is a OEM thing, or something that comes with the HID kits, or are you guys adding them.
6b. if it can work without the relay, why are we adding it?

Sorry, im just no comfy with electronics unless im 100% clear and confident.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #283
a325h

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

1-3. i know how bi-xenons work, im just trying to understand, what makes the shroud/projector know to switch to hi and low, when you activate the stalk. i would like to run bi-xenon and halogen hi beam if possible. Im not getting what makes the projector know to lift the bi-xenon shield

Ah, okay. Simply explained, when there is power going to the solenoid, it will turn on and pull the shutter down. When there is no power, it will stay up like a low beam. The way I have mine set up, when I turn the regular halogen high beams on, it sends a current through the taps that I added and powers the solenoid. This way, when I activate my high beams like usual, the shutters open at the same time. When the power stops, the shutters close and return to normal.

4. relay mentioned in 6, ok.

5. i have a hid KIT, never said my car had HIDs else i wouldnt be looking at this thread. Im merely asking if H1, H7, etc type HID bulbs will work with ANY ballast/harness/HID kit. Is it as simple as swapping bulbs from 3k to 5k, just unplug the H7 bulbs and run H1 bulbs with my already here HID kit?

As far as ballasts go, the only concern you need have with compatibility is connector and wattage. 35w bulbs with 35w ballast and 55w with 55w. With connectors, Your bulbs will work with any AMP type ballast. (Most that are not DS2 are AMP)

H1 and H7 bulbs are different sizes, you need to get the one designed for your projector. No others will fit.

6. Does this relay come with the HID kit? how does it get into the picture, is a OEM thing, or something that comes with the HID kits, or are you guys adding them.

If you buy the full kit from TRS, it includes bulbs, relay, ballast, shrouds, shroud rings, projectors and a few goodies. If you order al-a-cart then you will need to get it yourself. You need 9006 if you still have stock low beam connectors.

6b. if it can work without the relay, why are we adding it?

To get a constant/better power source.

Sorry, im just no comfy with electronics unless im 100% clear and confident.
Its all good. Let me if I can't settle your concerns here. (Last chance I get, class from now till the end of the day!)

TRS 5000K XB Bi-Xenons | ümmitza 6000K Opaque AEs | Metallic Tinting | LED Interior Lights
^2001 E46 325i^ SOLD

Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #284
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
evilstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #285
Snik
OEM ///Member

ok, Thanks much more clear on the other stuff.

I dunno tho, maybe im slow, maybe i missed something, but im still not visualizing the bi-xenon stuff and how it works, you explained how it works, and i got that a long time ago. what im not getting is if said projector only has 2 wires coming out of it, what makes the bi-xenon go lo/hi? Are these 2 wires NOT the same as the bulb wires. Are these the wires that you tapped into the OE high beam wiring? If so, then ive got it, if not, then HTF?

when i asked how many wires came from the COMPLETE projector, if it was 2, i meant if its 2 for the bulb, then 2 from the projector itself? yes? if this is the case, im crystal clear now.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #286
a325h

You will have: Ground/Positive for Solenoid and a separate Ground/Positive for the bulb. So yes, I misunderstood you, there will be 2 sets of wires total.

NOT the same as the bulb wires. Sorry for any confusion.

^2001 E46 325i^ SOLD

Last edited by a325h; 11-01-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #287
Snik
OEM ///Member

ah, all is well now. so doing this. just need to fix my subframe/floor tear 1st, hahah. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #288
Snik
OEM ///Member

Gonna go get electricuted, our hot water heater is leaking, so we're gonna attempt to fix it. lol
Old 11-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #289
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
For those that aren't painting their bowls you might want to not get your cars flashed, incase you ever revert back. Do the capacitor mod. I purchased two 4,700uf 35v capacitors from radioshack for 10$. Wire them just after the stock bulb adapter. My cap had an arrow on it pointing to negative, so that was soldered to the negative (black wire) and the other end to the positive(red). Obviously seal the cap to prevent corrosion. Fixed my bulb out warning. It might be wishful thinking, but i think they are also a little brighter now. How did you guys attach the shrouds ? I chose the dark mini-gatling and had to use double sided tape on the small inner tabs to get it secured on the projector.

* people have used different capacitor values for this mod, search "capacitor mod"

Last edited by Saintluk2; 11-01-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #290
DerRoteBaron

My Ride: 2004 325i
To secure my shrouds, I just placed the plastic ring inside the shroud and used a tube of black rtv silicone to bond it to the shroud. SO far no issues with holding up.
DerRoteBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #291
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintluk2 View Post
For those that aren't painting their bowls you might want to not get your cars flashed, incase you ever revert back. Do the capacitor mod. I purchased two 4,700uf 35v capacitors from radioshack for 10$. Wire them just after the stock bulb adapter. My cap had an arrow on it pointing to negative, so that was soldered to the negative (black wire) and the other end to the positive(red). Obviously seal the cap to prevent corrosion. Fixed my bulb out warning. It might be wishful thinking, but i think they are also a little brighter now. How did you guys attach the shrouds ? I chose the dark mini-gatling and had to use double sided tape on the small inner tabs to get it secured on the projector.

* people have used different capacitor values for this mod, search "capacitor mod"
You welded a resistor into the stock wiring?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #292
M325er22

My Ride: 2001 325i
soooo i got my kit in today!!!!
i started to install it when i found out they had sent me the wrong wire harness.
so i gotta wait another week to install!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #293
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Okey, im gonna start off by saying sorry if this has been answered already, but i've been googling, looking here and checking all sorts of sites for about 4 hours now and im about ready to pop a blood vessel!

I have standard Halogen lights right now, but my lowbeams won't pass the yearly inspection because of the reflectors (Bad lighting image)

So, i thought this would work out great, just replacing the low beam reflectors with projectors, but now i have some questions.. Can the projectors use my H7 halogens for the yearly inspection? and then swapover to the Xenonkit afterwards?

And will i still have to use my standard H7 halogens for High beams?

I hope you can help, im about ready to run my car into a brickwall since it wont pass that bloody inspection and a used set of original lights on the scrapyard is about $1200 :/
Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #294
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
I was thinking about the same Diazz. I wanted to put the projectors only for now on my halogens and later upgrade to HIDs. But I am am getting conflicting answers to this while I searched everywhere.
Just put the angel eyes, So I really want to put the projector set up, but at the same time I want to make sure the projectors that I put(if possible) will be compatible to the HIDs I will be upgrading to. And it seems that the forum here agrees on morimoto H1s. I believe my halogens are stock H7, however, the PO changed one of the bulbs and the color of the bulbs are different. I noticed it after I installed the angel eyes.

If anyone can chime in on if projectors can be placed over the halogen bulbs and later updated to HIDs that would be great. Will the light output be compromised if the projectors are used on the halogens.

I do not want to do the HIDs first and then to projectors as it will just blind out the on coming traffic.
I would do the whole setup at once, but I don't have much time as I am working full time and going to school full time. So, I want to do it step by step. And I am getting impatient after I installed the angel eyes.

The info I have gathered from this thread:

35W ballasts with H1 bulbs.
Morimoto H1 projectors.
Shrouds ( I am thinking of the gattling shroud that comes with the projectors and paint it black and leave the halogen bowls chrome).
Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #295
Saintluk2

I soldered the capacitor just after the stock low beam adapter on the hid harness. The wire that attaches to your stock low beam adapter, then goes to your hid ballast.
stock halogen low beam illustration
================[_stock adapter_]-[_H7 assembly/bulb_]
hid conversion low beam illustration
================[_stock adapter_]-[_hid adapter_]=====capacitor=====[_ballast_]===============(____hid bulb__)

I'd check if i didnt seal my bulbs, but I don't think the halogen bulb will fit into the projector. Tight fit on HID bulbs which are longer and thinner than halogen H7. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by Saintluk2; 11-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #296
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerRoteBaron View Post
To secure my shrouds, I just placed the plastic ring inside the shroud and used a tube of black rtv silicone to bond it to the shroud. SO far no issues with holding up.
why didnt you just use the clips that came with the projector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diazz View Post
Okey, im gonna start off by saying sorry if this has been answered already, but i've been googling, looking here and checking all sorts of sites for about 4 hours now and im about ready to pop a blood vessel!

I have standard Halogen lights right now, but my lowbeams won't pass the yearly inspection because of the reflectors (Bad lighting image)

So, i thought this would work out great, just replacing the low beam reflectors with projectors, but now i have some questions.. Can the projectors use my H7 halogens for the yearly inspection? and then swapover to the Xenonkit afterwards?

And will i still have to use my standard H7 halogens for High beams?

I hope you can help, im about ready to run my car into a brickwall since it wont pass that bloody inspection and a used set of original lights on the scrapyard is about $1200 :/
1. H7 bulbs will not work with these projector, You'll need to buy H1 replacement bulbs.
2. These projectors will fit into your halogen housing.
3. $1200 for a set of original lights? wtf? the halogen ones can be found here for about $50

hope that helps
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #297
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
sorry for the thread jack..anyone know if xenons from 03 Z4 would be better than the crappy ones i have on my 330 (zkw)? Since its the same year they might be the same brand.?
Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #298
silp3

My Ride: 02 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemwe_03i View Post
sorry for the thread jack..anyone know if xenons from 03 Z4 would be better than the crappy ones i have on my 330 (zkw)? Since its the same year they might be the same brand.?
The whole benefit of running Morimoto H1s in our cars that did not come with factory xenon is the mere plug-and-play capabilities. The MH1s fit directly into our headlights. Any other projector will require cutting and fitting.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #299
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mostarac View Post

1. H7 bulbs will not work with these projector, You'll need to buy H1 replacement bulbs.
2. These projectors will fit into your halogen housing.
3. $1200 for a set of original lights? wtf? the halogen ones can be found here for about $50

hope that helps
Thanks alot! So i guess i can just as easily use H1 instead then to get what i want?

And yes, i know thats expensive, but the original new ones cost about 1200 a piece afaik over here
Old 11-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #300
Saintluk2

i'd check if H1 halogens fit into the stock h7 bulb base. Hey Mostarac, which shrouds did you get ? Mine would not sit securely on the projector without some help (double sided tape), else they'd fall off over bumps.