E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #321
nzhty

My Ride: 318i e46 year 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
You are welcome. Let me know how it goes.
steve, didn't work.... i still hear the noise....

another thing that i noticed is that when i press the button to next song make the same noise and if i keep pressing the button to change the song the noise is always there....

so taking that in consideration it may be the ibus wire the one that is making the interference noise, dont you think? i say this because i dont know anything about electricity and probabli is not this....

another thing that may be the cause of the problem is that the wires that i use to connect the usa spec pins to the pins on the radio are simple wires they are not shielded.

I do not know if "shielded" is the correct expression ...

do you think that if i change this wires it will be solved the noise problem?
nzhty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #322
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Hi Niki,
Yes, the digital switching on the i-bus (or k-bus) wire is coupling to the audio signals.
Yes, shielding of at least the audio signals is absolutely required.

The first level of shielding is acheived simply by twisting the audio + and audio gnd together, known as twisted pair. This can also be done for the i-bus, it can be twisted in a group of three with the +12 and GND.

Real shielding is better.

So I need to ask ... why didn't you just snip the original usa-spec supplied cable & wire that into the HU connectors like we have been discussing? I never imagined that you were not using the original cable. lol
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #323
nzhty

Quote:
Hi Niki,
Yes, the digital switching on the i-bus (or k-bus) wire is coupling to the audio signals.
Yes, shielding of at least the audio signals is absolutely required.

The first level of shielding is acheived simply by twisting the audio + and audio gnd together, known as twisted pair. This can also be done for the i-bus, it can be twisted in a group of three with the +12 and GND.

Real shielding is better.

So I need to ask ... why didn't you just snip the original usa-spec supplied cable & wire that into the HU connectors like we have been discussing? I never imagined that you were not using the original cable. lol
ok, i will find some shield wire to make the connection...

the thing is this i replace my original HU for this: Bmw E46 OEM CD53 Business Cd Player Pulled out 2003 325ci. CD53 Business Cd Player with Mode button. (the original radio was bmw radio reverse that is only tape player)
and my car is not pre wired for CD changer so i have not any wire in the trunk.
the usa-spec connector fit the connector in the trunk (if i had one) but not the connector in the back of the radio.

you follow me till here?

now in my country the wire that connect the HU to the CD changer (the one that i need to connect to the usa-spec) cost to me is 180 american dollars this is to much money... if i buy it from ebay is about 90 american dollars.... so i want to find a cheaper way to make this connection....

right now i am in my office but when i go home later in the night iŽll take some photos of the wires that i am using to make the bridge between the wire of the usa spec and the HU, so you can see... because im not good explaining...

again thanks a lot for your time and help
kiss niki

Last edited by nzhty; 10-07-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: more info add
Old 10-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #324
steve.325i

Hi Niki, yup, I follow you. My only error was that I 'assumed' you has the original cable supplied with the usa-spec because of the picture in your port # 308. My fault.

How long are your wires from the HU to the usa-spec? The shorter they are, the less coupling will occur. If you can seperate the i-bus/12v/gnd from the audio-L-R-gnd, that will help as well. Simply twisting the audio ground wire around the two audio lines (L-R) may be sufficient - approx 1 twist per inch is ideal.

I hope this helps. I don't think there is any reason for you to purchase an interface at this point. You have it working, you just have to clean it up a little bit.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #325
nzhty

Quote:
Hi Niki, yup, I follow you. My only error was that I 'assumed' you has the original cable supplied with the usa-spec because of the picture in your port # 308. My fault.

How long are your wires from the HU to the usa-spec? The shorter they are, the less coupling will occur. If you can seperate the i-bus/12v/gnd from the audio-L-R-gnd, that will help as well. Simply twisting the audio ground wire around the two audio lines (L-R) may be sufficient - approx 1 twist per inch is ideal.

I hope this helps. I don't think there is any reason for you to purchase an interface at this point. You have it working, you just have to clean it up a little bit.
hello steve, yes i have the original cable that came with the usa-spec the one that you mention (iŽll attach the photos again) that cable is very long, enough to put the usa spec in the trunk and still conect to the HU in the front of the car.... but like i say my car is not pre wired for CD Changer in the trunk...

the cable that i dont have is the CD Changer cable.... so i make the connection between the usa-spec and the HU with some computer wire (iŽll attach a photo for you)

so you say that if the cable is short iŽll be better ?
i can cut the cable that came with the usa spec and make it shorter and if you say that this is the better solution iŽll do that...

by the way sorry for not answer till today, but yesterday i came home so late that i went directly to the bed... it was a complicated day in my office....

i'll wait for your answer before i proceed, because once that i cut the cable there is no turn back...

kiss
niki
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usa spec.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	420144   Click image for larger version

Name:	img1522kj.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	420145  
Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #326
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzhty View Post
hello steve, yes i have the original cable that came with the usa-spec the one that you mention (iŽll attach the photos again) that cable is very long, enough to put the usa spec in the trunk and still conect to the HU in the front of the car.... but like i say my car is not pre wired for CD Changer in the trunk...

the cable that i dont have is the CD Changer cable.... so i make the connection between the usa-spec and the HU with some computer wire (iŽll attach a photo for you)

so you say that if the cable is short iŽll be better ?
i can cut the cable that came with the usa spec and make it shorter and if you say that this is the better solution iŽll do that...

by the way sorry for not answer till today, but yesterday i came home so late that i went directly to the bed... it was a complicated day in my office....

i'll wait for your answer before i proceed, because once that i cut the cable there is no turn back...

kiss
niki
Hi Niki, sorry to hear about you hectic day. Yes, the shorter you can make the cable, the better. I have removed the extra wiring from my install as well.

Where have you loacted your usa-spec? Behind the glovebox? If so, you should be able to cut the cable down to four feet or so. You can make direct connection for the i-bus, +12, & GND wires & use your single pin crimp on socket for the 10-pin connector.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Steve
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #327
nzhty

Quote:
Hi Niki, sorry to hear about you hectic day. Yes, the shorter you can make the cable, the better. I have removed the extra wiring from my install as well.

Where have you loacted your usa-spec? Behind the glovebox? If so, you should be able to cut the cable down to four feet or so. You can make direct connection for the i-bus, +12, & GND wires & use your single pin crimp on socket for the 10-pin connector.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Steve
thanks for your kind words.... it was "un infierno" you will say a "hell of a day" but thank god itŽs over now...

well back to the problem... yes i put the usa spec behind the glove box... it seem very reasonable what you say....
if tomorrow donŽt rain all day like today, iŽll do what you say....

iŽll let you know how it was....
thanks again

kiss
niki
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #328
steve.325i

Quote:
yes i put the usa spec behind the glove box... it seem very reasonable what you say....
if tomorrow donŽt rain all day like today, iŽll do what you say....
Hi, just wondering if you have any news?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #329
nzhty

Quote:
Hi, just wondering if you have any news?
not yet.... on monday i am going to dismount all and do what you say...

i was going to do all tomorrow (sunday), but i went to Argentina to see Eric Clapton, and tomorrow im going to sleep all day long.... from Montevideo-Uruguay to Buenos Aires-Argentina is not a great distance but i dont think that tomorrow i will have the patience to do all that work....

i'll post the result later.... again Steve thanks for all the support...

kiss
niki
Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #330
steve.325i

Quote:
i'll post the result later.... again Steve thanks for all the support...
Hey, no worries. Just reminding you that we are here
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #331
jason330i
moderation in all things

My Ride: 2002 330i
hello, in case you are interested, the USASpec appears to work fine with the iphone 4s and iOS 5.

you sir, are a
jason330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #332
steve.325i

Cool. Thank you for posting.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #333
nzhty

Quote:
Hey, no worries. Just reminding you that we are here
just letting you know that i haven't had time to do the fix....

kisses
niki
Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #334
steve.325i

Quote:
just letting you know that i haven't had time to do the fix....
Thank you ... I was wondering
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #335
nzhty

Quote:
Thank you ... I was wondering
i think i have the worst luck.... well at last...... i have some family issues that take all my time thats because i take so long to cut the wire.... today i dismount the glovebox and cut the wire but i still hear the noise i must say that is less strong than before but it still there, i try with the other aux and i can hear to a noise....

i dont know what to do now...

should buy other interface to replace the usa-spec pa12?? i'm reaching the point where i start to lose hope...

steve again thanks a lot for your time!!! and if you think something else to fix this please tell me....

kiss niki

Last edited by nzhty; 11-07-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #336
steve.325i

Quote:
i dont know what to do now...
PM'ing you
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #337
nzhty

Quote:
PM'ing you
ok... i just had send a reply to your PM
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #338
jmejiaa

My Ride: 2002 M3
Anyone still around?

Looking into buying this unit for my 2002 M3, I had a question regarding the ipod/aux connections.

Can I switch between them without touching the unit? Before I was told it had to be done through a switch, but seeing some videos it seems like it can be done by pressing the "6" button
Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #339
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
Yes, you can.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #340
steve.325i

^^^ +1

Yup! The AUX port is enabled via the switches on initial setup. Then you can select the AUX input with the CD6 button.