E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #21
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpchamp View Post
Go for it. Just got a 2012 Wrangler Sport S as a weekend fun vehicle. The Pentastar engine catapults the Jeep into the 21st century. And I can't tell you how nice the interior is now.
I'm having a hard time deciding on which trim to get. I learned from years of modifying cars that it sucks paying for things that you going to replace. If I do a lift, wheel, tires, bumpers, lighting is there a point of going with a Rubicon??? Are there actual differences in the guts, like the diffs, transfer cases, etc, or is it just garnish stuff?? Another problem I have with the wrangler is that it is overpriced for what it is. For the money jeep charges for a fully loaded rubicon, I would expect them to look like the photo posted, but that car is 46k!!!

PS. I wish jeep offered a bed liner paint option from factory.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-09-2011 at 09:22 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
nbtstatic

My Ride: 04-330ci-SMG
OP - FWIW, I have been rocking a Pentastar for 15,000 miles now in my WK2, and it has not been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot. It has been a great engine thus far, and the easiest oil change you will ever do.

PS - If you get a new one, and you think you'll keep it a while, look into Chryslers Lifetime Maxcare warranty. I bought a lifetime warranty on this Jeep for 1800 bucks, and I will run this thing into the ground. I gurantee I'll make it worth it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
I love jeeps but I'm always kinda shocked at how expensive they are. Just doesn't seem like 30k worth of car to me, with the rag top, minimalist interior and all...

A used one at the right price would definitly be fun for the occasional fishing trip.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
widebody350

My Ride: 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I'm having a hard time deciding on which trim to get. I learned from years of modifying cars that it sucks paying for things that you going to replace. If I do a lift, wheel, tires, bumpers, lighting is there a point of going with a Rubicon??? Are there actual differences in the guts, like the diffs, transfer cases, etc, or is it just garnish stuff?? Another problem I have with the wrangler is that it is overpriced for what it is. For the money jeep charges for a fully loaded rubicon, I would expect them to look like the photo posted, but that car is 46k!!!

PS. I wish jeep offered a bed liner paint option from factory.
I think the Rubicons have stronger axles and various other drivetrain components. Might come with lockers, but I'm not 100% on that. Jeeps, especially the new ones, are awesome and hold their value really well.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
xiahaolong168

My Ride: bmw X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtstatic View Post
OP - FWIW, I have been rocking a Pentastar for 15,000 miles now in my WK2, and it has not been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot. It has been a great engine thus far, and the easiest oil change you will ever do.

PS - If you get a new one, and you think you'll keep it a while, look into Chryslers Lifetime Maxcare warranty. I bought a lifetime warranty on this Jeep for 1800 bucks, and I will run this thing into the ground. I gurantee I'll make it worth it.

I love the new Grand Cherokees. Thinking about trading my X5 in for one. Which model did you get? How much discounts/incentives did you get on it?
xiahaolong168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #26
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
in before or after Chase. it doesn't matter.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #27
JordanBMW

My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW Send a message via Skype™ to JordanBMW
Diff and transfercase fluid changes every 19km not miles for this bad boy. Fully synthetic. Unless you do the work yourself we charge around 109.99 per casing. $330 plus your taxes.

Last edited by JordanBMW; 11-09-2011 at 10:07 AM.
JordanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #28
nbtstatic

My Ride: 04-330ci-SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahaolong168 View Post
I love the new Grand Cherokees. Thinking about trading my X5 in for one. Which model did you get? How much discounts/incentives did you get on it?
Its a 2011 Overland 4x4. I bought it using the Chrysler EP plan below invoice. I would imagine there are great deals right now on 2011's as the 2012's show up on the lots.

I think the sticker was 44, I paid around 39, you can probably do better now, I bought as they were first arriving to dealers.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #29
kvinal

My Ride: 323i
I.own an s80 t6 my bigger comfort driver...my 323i to from work little flashy car lol....and a 95 yj with 12" lift ,35" dick cepek (mods go on)...the jeeps really hold their value

**00 323i preface sedan**dark blue w/tan int.***
LED smoked tails, smoked fender markers, morimoto mini retrofit, matte black grills, LED plate lights.
kvinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #30
xiahaolong168

My Ride: bmw X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtstatic View Post
Its a 2011 Overland 4x4. I bought it using the Chrysler EP plan below invoice. I would imagine there are great deals right now on 2011's as the 2012's show up on the lots.

I think the sticker was 44, I paid around 39, you can probably do better now, I bought as they were first arriving to dealers.

I'm still stuck on which model to get. I can't decide if they extra amenities are worth the premium.

That's an awesome deal. I still haven't stopped by my local Jeep dealer to look at it or test drive it though.
xiahaolong168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #31
spikester550

My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
love them!
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #32
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
The 2012 Jeeps are really nice, better interior, Penstar, color hardtop.. They are really reliable vehicles. My family and I have owned four and everyone has seen over 130,000 with no problems. The first jeep cherokee I was brought home in lasted 250,000 miles.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #33
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Where can i buy the one you posted?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #34
cancell

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to cancell Send a message via MSN to cancell
They are nice but something about the old boxy look I've gotten tired of, maybe because every 3rd car on the road here is a Jeep. Check out 4x4 Toyota 4runners or Land Cruisers, used ones are a great deal and usually well maintained... Smooth ride with probably more offroad capability than you are looking for

The lesser we know...the more they fabricate...the easier it is to sell souls
There is a new price on freedom, so buy into it while supplies last.
We've unified over who to kill, so until I find more relevant scripture to quote...
remember, our god is bigger, stronger, smarter, and much wealthier.
So wave those flags with pride... It's the makeshift patriot.
cancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #35
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Not 2012 but going to look at these two tomorrow. What do you think http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #36
Chris3Duke

My in-laws have a new Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. Great looking vehicle with every option. I've driven it many times, and was a little less impressed. My thoughts:

- Feels heavy (probably is).

- 20 inch wheels mean a little rougher ride than I was expecting

- Didn't like the slick leather and wood on the steering wheel (very little grip to it).

- Space felt fine, but it doesn't feel that huge inside.

-SelectTerrain or whatever the traction dial thing is was cool.

- Seriously, how stupid is jeep. I just looked up the SelectTerrain thing on their website to see what it was called, and they have it listed as a feature twice under the Overland. Simple web mistake that shouldn't be made.

We just moved from Hoboken, and my 3 series got so beat up driving around Hudson county. I think you're on the right path with an SUV, but, for the money, how about an X5?
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #37
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
If you're going to buy a 4-door, get a new one with the better engine. The early models of the current chassis are absolutely gutless. I rented one a couple of months ago on St John, and it wouldn't get out of its own way.

The TJ models (1997 - 2006) are lighter and quicker than the new ones. There's a sh*t ton of upgrades available also.

I had a TJ with a 4 inch Superlift, 33/12.50 tires, and a handful of other mods, and it was a very capable ofroader. The big tires killed gas mileage and were loud, but it was still a decent highway vehicle with the hardtop on it. The later TJ Rubicon models are excellent on & off road.

Only pic I have of my TJ:

Gutless wonder rental:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gutless jeep.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	424604  

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #38
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Wife and I got a JK 4 door in 2007 and had it for 3+ years. I've said this before on the forum..... I have not owned an american car in over 10 years and the Jeep was one of the most reliable cars I have ever had. Granted, I wasn't offroading all over the place, only on occasion. The only things we had to do during those 3 years was oil changes, small tranny leak fixed right after we bought it, new tires, new brakes, new windshield and a new battery..... and that was with 70k miles put on it. Yes the older ones have cheap interior and are kind of gutless, but it was a great vehicle in my opinion. I like that you could beat on it and not care, and it was reliable and still holds it's value. We bought it in the mid 20's when they first came out, NADA had it at $16k-18k private sale when we sold it.... Take the doors and roof off when the weather is nice.....
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #39
HardPark'd TT

My Ride: is parked hard.
Send a message via AIM to HardPark'd TT
I rented a Liberty last week and was actually really impressed with it. The quality, features, how smooth it was and it had some pep. It was still brand new (800 miles).

So I'm sure the other models are just as great. I left as a jeep believer.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
HardPark'd TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #40
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
Do it! Just to let you know, Jeep Wranglers have awesome resale as well(I believe they were ranked #1 in ALG).

Last edited by DaN_the_MaN; 11-09-2011 at 03:19 PM.
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote