E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Bugermass

My Ride: ZX10R
Turbo M3 Track Day

So, my boss decided to boost his M3. Its kinda been the shop go-to car when anyone needs a spare set of wheels for various reason. Its got over 140,000 miles on it and everyone beats the crap out of it, so it was only natural to turbo it ..

We went with the steed speed turbo manifold, the HPF intake manifold, and pretty much fabbed everything else up in house.

Specs:

Stock 2002 M3 Motor
Steed Speed Turbo Mani
HPF Intake Plenum
HPF Fuel Rail
PTE 6766 Billet Turbo
FuelLap 42402 Pump good for 1800HP
FIC 2150 Injectors
Stock Tranny/Diff
Spec Clutch
275/35/18 BFG Drag Radials for the rear

We're a ProEFI dealer and put their EMS on everything in the shop so naturally we went with their M3 kit.

Tuned the car and made 720HP and 611TQ @ 20 PSI on our Mustang Dyno.

Our dyno reads lower than a standard dynojet so the boss and I had an agreement before hand we'd stop around 700-750 on our dyno since that puts us just over where most people say the stock motors break.

We have another spare motor on the side that he plans on building later down the road, but we wanna see how far we can go with the stock motor first.

Did a bunch of blasting around the shop complex dialing in the traction control and boost as best as I could at 3AM .. At the last minute bossman decided to take it with us to a race we were heading too with 3 other cars yesterday, so we loaded it on a trailer and off we went.

I didn't have time to wire in a switch for traction control so burnouts were pretty much impossible, but I managed to squeeze out an 11.7@138.9 MPH on my first pass. The car spun pretty bad right off the hit, but once I rolled out a little the traction control took over and it was smooth sailing the rest of the way down the track.

The next pass I made some changes to the launch portion of the traction control and upped the boost a tiny bit around 4 and 5th gear, unfortunately on the launch something in the clutch let go and I had to pretty much drive it all the way back stuck in gear.. Hopefully we'll get the clutch fixed and everything back together soon. Was a lot of fun. The ProEFI system delivered perfectly as always, all the parts we got from HPF went in smooth and worked perfectly as advertised. I'll update this thread when we get back out on the track.
Bugermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Jason@proefi
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 05 M3
Great work Chris....138.9 on a stock engine! Good stuff!

Fix that clutch and put some slicks on it!
Jason@proefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
M3PTGSC

My Ride: M3
Good job!! You guys dont mess around

HPF clutch worked good for everybody its proven no testing required there,dump one in and lets see some numbers

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
any more info or pics of the build?

estamite total cost of the turbo setup?

Last edited by BDUB328I; 11-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Ravij

My Ride: 3.5 IR vert M3
20 psi on stock 140,000 mile motor... Dayyyyumm
Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Bugermass

I'll get bossman to post up some pics of the car and the build, I'm pretty sure he took some.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
definitely stoked to see pics.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
VERY Good stuff man, its crazy about that trap speed. That is the kind of trap speed that I was looking for from my Stage 2 when I first bought it. I would definitely love to know further details, future plans, etc. Plus all this in a mustang dyno and running 20 psi, very impressive. From the details provided it also looks like you might be running on E85 correct?

Last edited by 02black330ci; 11-14-2011 at 08:55 PM.
02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
I'm curious if the 6766 is all in with this setup? Post graphs?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
zcchen

My Ride: Z3M/E90M3
Curious to see the powerband of that new 6766!
zcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Bugermass

Thanks for all the comments. I have a few pics on my Facebook under the folder called "Serious M3"..

Not sure if you can see them without being a friend, but heres the link. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...0103&sk=photos

I'll take some more pics tomorrow and post them up. The car looks stock from the outside. Even has stock wheels.

We made the fuel system pretty much from scratch. We built a in-tank pump removal kit that allows us to pull fuel directly from the tank by the fuelab pump. Its -12 hardline all the way to the fuel rail. We welded -12 fittings on the HPF rail. Then from the rail we went to a weldon regulator then -10 from there back to the tank. We're using the stock pump as a lift pump to transfer fuel from the other side of the tank to the feed side. We wanted to do it once and make sure we had enough fuel to support any future upgrade ..

I have the FuelLab FP set on high speed right now, but I plan on running it off the ProEFI's PWM pump control, that way it'll just ramp up pump speed based on fuel system load.

The intercooler setup is a simple front mount setup, nothing fancy. Seems to be working sufficiantly at this power level.

We have no exhaust at this time, the turbo has a short 3in down pipe that has all the factory O2s and the ProEFI O2 in it. Needless to say, it sounds awesome

We're using a Precision 46mm WG.

Not much else to it really. I'm currently working on some ideas having to do with the stock DME to improve the experience even more, but I don't want to give out any details until I have it all worked out and ready to go. But I'll keep this thread updated on progress as we go.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Bugermass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I'm curious if the 6766 is all in with this setup? Post graphs?

The turbo is defiantly not all in, and I even left some ignition on the table at the current boost level. I'll post the graph tommorrow. I think theres a lot of room for improvement in the power band, i just need some more time on the dyno, it was all kinda last minute and very late at night lol.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugermass View Post
The turbo is defiantly not all in, and I even left some ignition on the table at the current boost level. I'll post the graph tommorrow. I think theres a lot of room for improvement in the power band, i just need some more time on the dyno, it was all kinda last minute and very late at night lol.
Alot of the community is very interested in seeing how this turbo performs and iirc this is the first S54 equipped car to be running the 6766. Definitely in for graphs, details and pics!

How is the intake setup on this? Still have A/C?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Bugermass

yes still has A/C.. Currently there is no filter on the turbo. Thats another thing we need to figure out. . .
Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugermass View Post
yes still has A/C.. Currently there is no filter on the turbo. Thats another thing we need to figure out. . .
Cool, what type of fuel was used?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
20 psi on a high compression engine!? i bet that thing has wings- sounds like it's absolutely awesome. What kind of fuel?

2001 330ci TT turbo
1992 240sx coupe
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
Bugermass

We ran it on Ignite Yellow, which is E98.. We use E85-98 on just about all our high horsepower projects.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
6spd_legend

My Ride: acura legend 6spd
Wow- awesome.... Are you taking orders?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Chris,
Thanks for all the feedback, this is great info for the community and more questions will definitely come as the build continues. Please post up the dyno graph when you have some time.

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #20
jeff_smg

My Ride: //HPF M3 E46 Vert'
Send a message via MSN to jeff_smg
20 PSI in stock engine

Hope to know max PSI for this S54 engine

Last edited by jeff_smg; 11-15-2011 at 06:25 AM.
jeff_smg is offline   Reply With Quote