E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #81
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Congrats on the purchase dude
Old 11-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #82
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
don't get the sahara if you plan on taking it off pavement, the axles are crap dana 30 variants.

the wranglers come with d44 variants, but it shares the outers and C's of the d30. the real difference is the ring and pinion diameter (stronger), and i think the axle shafts are stronger.

if i came across a built sahara on the trail, i'd laugh. there is no sense in building a d30, they are garbage. pretty much only good for rolling under the truck.
what did you end up getting?

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #83
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
^ I got a fully loaded Sahara for a great price, 730 navi, side airbags, leather, remote start, heated seats, connectivity, and auto for 33K. I don't plan to offroad other than minor maybe dirt trails. I got it mostly because of NYC's crappy (and getting crappier) roads, and for the snow. Honestly, rock crawling didn't interest me. I appreciate it, but not something I see myself doing, or having the time to do. I was set on the Rubicon, but a number of Jeep owners and even the dealer quickly talked me out of it. I leased the car, and may or may not end up keeping it. If I feel it is lacking, I will get a Rubicon the next time around. At this point, I could not justify the extra 7k for a Rubicon.

BTW, not arguing, but the reviewers said that even the sport is a very capable off road machine, just not rock crawling.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-14-2011 at 11:18 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #84
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
don't get the sahara if you plan on taking it off pavement, the axles are crap dana 30 variants.

the wranglers come with d44 variants, but it shares the outers and C's of the d30. the real difference is the ring and pinion diameter (stronger), and i think the axle shafts are stronger.

if i came across a built sahara on the trail, i'd laugh. there is no sense in building a d30, they are garbage. pretty much only good for rolling under the truck.
what did you end up getting?
What kind of rig do you have?
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #85
roastbeef

i'm sure it will be fine for what you want to do with it. when you start crawling, and you will, because it is addicting, you can always swap in better axles, because there are tons of companies that make aftermarket complete bolt in axles for jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
What kind of rig do you have?
see sig. '02 frontier. in a nut shell- three linked front and rear on 14" internal bypass kings. dynatrac pro rock 60 front, nissan rear, with arb lockers, 35's.

^ DD.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #86
accolade

Yeah, that is a serious machine you got there. I wouldn't say that the D30 is completely useless... especially for someone that just plans to casually wheel it. Plus, here in NY there are hardly any trails that would warrant anything more. You would have to either go way north, or way west to get to any serious wheeling.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #87
roastbeef

yea, casual wheeling should be ok. the open differentials on the sahara though...

^ DD.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #88
accolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
yea, casual wheeling should be ok. the open differentials on the sahara though...
I still can't believe what they are getting for Rubicons though... to start at $30k is just insane. A buddy of mine just got the 4 door (which I refuse to call a wrangler) and it was ~$40k. That is just insane.

In '04 I paid $26k for my '04 Rubi with 4k miles on it. It was only 6 months old when I picked it up.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #89
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I still can't believe what they are getting for Rubicons though... to start at $30k is just insane. A buddy of mine just got the 4 door (which I refuse to call a wrangler) and it was ~$40k. That is just insane.

In '04 I paid $26k for my '04 Rubi with 4k miles on it. It was only 6 months old when I picked it up.
The 4 door was proven to have a better ride, and in some off road situations, perform better than the 2 door. Plus, with my other car being an s2000, I need a 4 door, I have a family.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #90
accolade

I'm not saying it in a bad way. Jeep saw a whole new market and shot right in. The JK has to be one of the most popular cars on the road now.

They are smart. They saw a car that everyone wanted but didn't want the inconveniences that it came along with it, and turned it into a car that anyone would want to drive.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #91
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
^ I got a fully loaded Sahara for a great price, 730 navi, side airbags, leather, remote start, heated seats, connectivity, and auto for 33K. I don't plan to offroad other than minor maybe dirt trails. I got it mostly because of NYC's crappy (and getting crappier) roads, and for the snow. Honestly, rock crawling didn't interest me. I appreciate it, but not something I see myself doing, or having the time to do. I was set on the Rubicon, but a number of Jeep owners and even the dealer quickly talked me out of it. I leased the car, and may or may not end up keeping it. If I feel it is lacking, I will get a Rubicon the next time around. At this point, I could not justify the extra 7k for a Rubicon.

BTW, not arguing, but the reviewers said that even the sport is a very capable off road machine, just not rock crawling.
Nice score.

Needs NRA stickers and a gun rack or people will think you're a liberal.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #92
bernie21614

My Ride: 01 330i
I have a baby on the way and am thinking about getting rid of my ride for a 2012 jeep compass, looks really nice and the price is good. I would of never thought about getting a jeep before I hated the brand but theres something about it now thats catching my attention. I'll see what happens, I do plan on coming back to the bimmer scene later on, thinking about a 335d.

Sent from my SAMSUNG- INFUSE
bernie21614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #93
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
wow i dont even go offroading, but that thing is so badass that i want one
Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #94
NFRs2000nyc

About the open diffs on the Sahara....I spoke a few people in regards to this, and all of them said, for my needs, they are just something else to go wrong. I was debating if I should get the trak-locks (diff locks) since they were only a $285 dollar option. My friends said again, if you don't REALLY offroad (I'm not talking about creek crossing and dirt trailing) then it is just another part that needs maintenance. Since the new trucks have ESP, for casual driving (even snow) they are not needed. Since they have clutches, it's just another wear item, so I passed. Car is a lease, and I may end up keeping it, or I may end up just getting a new one. However, the beauty with Wranglers is, if you don't like something, ANYTHING, just change it.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #95
accolade

I'm not a huge fan of that JK. I'm in love with this build... been following it from the beginning. It's sitting a little high as they still need to adjust the suspension. It's 4powered by a 12v Cummings.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #96
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
We need more Jeep pics!!
makecopies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #97
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of that JK. I'm in love with this build... been following it from the beginning. It's sitting a little high as they still need to adjust the suspension. It's 4powered by a 12v Cummings.

Nice e-brake.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #98
accolade

Speaking of brakes, I love this pic too:

Old 11-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #99
NFRs2000nyc

Looking at picking up this bumper. Anyone in the know have any thoughts about. WARN quality? I know they are a "name" in wenches, just curious if anyone has an opinion.

http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-s...t_bumper.shtml
Old 11-19-2011, 02:29 AM   #100
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
Looks badass......check out ARB and old man emu for shocks and springs.