E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Lou845

My Ride: 2003 325ci coupe
03 325ci coupe general questions and upgrade questions.

Just recently picked up a 03 325ci. Car is super clean and mechanically sound so far. Has 180k on it is there anything I should be concerned about ? I'm looking to do some mods through the winter time to have it all nice for spring. What are some exterior mods I can do that won't cost an arm and a leg ? Also engine mods, performance chips etc. Not looking for forced induction but any suggested bolt ons ? Cai, exhaust, etc. Any help would be awesome I'm new to all this and really have a big interest. Sorry if I'm being super noob lol
Lou845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Only 2 semi-worthwhile performance mods if you're not into F/I. They are catless headers and a shark-injector (tune).
Exterior mods on the cheap include clear/smoked corers, RCR or LED tails, tints, and a lip spoiler.

You should be concerned more about maintenance first. Cooling system, CCV, suspension components.
The rest ill tell you to
Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
An '03 with 180k miles.

My list of things you will need to do in the next year or two is probably about $2,000 in parts...another $3-4,000 in labor if you're not diying it...sounds like you would be.

Figure about maybe 40-50 hours of work to get it up to speed and safe and driving like a bmw should.

Read fanatics for a while. Anything can happen...you want to plan to have money to fix it...and should plan to get on some kind of glidepath to keep your car reliable for a while. Right now, I'm thinking about 2-3 months before issue one...and it'll involve coolant somehow!

You're new, so I won't say what I'm thinking!

Welcome to fanatics!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Lou845

Ac2007 thanks for the opinion, and dmax. This is only my 3rd BMW and as of now it runs and rides smoother then my other two, funny you mention a coolant issue because that's what happen to my m3 sedan. With only 100k. A majority of work i will be doing myself so labor wouldn't be a major issue. Although I'm new your more then welcome to let me have it as for any issues that are concerning lol trust me I'm expecting the worst things possible. Financially I'm not to tight and more then willing to spend what I need to in order to get this beauty in tip top shape. I hardly ever see the 325ci coupes around here I mostly see 330's what's the difference ? But back to the general stuff, give me a list of suggested parts I should replace, upgrade, or keep an eye on
Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I can suggest you at least inspect everything you possibly can...of course, with xl50 shining a guiding light!

Clean up everything to help you spot your fluid leaks.

Belts, filters, plugs, knowing what I know now, I'd do cooling overhaul (unless I had receipts for things recently done from PO).

I'd clean things...maf, disa, icv, tb, and replace as much rubber as I can find parts for behind these things.

Read up and drains and make sure yours are clear.

Do cluster test...voltage is a good one to monitor, as is engine temp.

Get to battery and cables and check them out.

Take 1" paintbrush and vacuum away dust inside the trunk lid hinge too. (That's just a test to see if I can get you to do stuff over the Internet!).

If you do this, I'd be happy to tell you more things to worry about like pulleys and oil.

Dif and trans fluids too!

GL...sorry, didn't mean to frighten you!

If you want a visual mod, I like those thin almost nothing strips on the trunk lid...think those are classy! I also think it's classy to have a car that doesn't rub if a heavy person gets in the rear, or worse, if four hot ladies want to see what you can do in your car and the tires rub then. Don't forget carrying capacity and speedbumps as you begin your fanatic's adventure and get conned into thinking that road scraping is the cat's pajamas. Nomeen?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Lou845

I've checked a majority if not all major electrical components, gaskets, rubber housings etc, even down to the firewall all looks well as far as what I can see and no. Gotta Hand it to u, just made me laugh at the though of having more then one passenger in the car and destroying my undercarriage lol although I do want to do a suspension upgrade and have had mixed feedback on what brand and stuff like that, lookin for a slight drop but not a 1.75 inch like a majority of most people. As for tranny and diff fluid, inform me on more. I am interested in learning as much as possible. And appreciate all the info you've been feeding back. The trunk lid Is all cleaned up not a speck of dust btw lol OCD when it comes to having my cars clean. I'll post pics soon

Tags
coupe, general e46 forum, help please, upgrades