E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Gladius

My Ride: 2001 LSB M3
Suspension setup

I've got a 2001 330ci (sport suspension by definition). Last year, the first year I autoxed/tracked my car, I did about 5 autoXes and 1 driving school.

Last year I was talking with Bob Tunnel and he suggested H&R sport springs and Koni shocks (sport I assume, but I'm not sure), OR swaybars, but not both. I've been trying to understand why this is a one-or-the-other choice.

Granted, I don't know a lot about suspensions. Can someone attempt to explain this to me?

Secondly, since this is my daily driver, I'm concerned about how much lower the car will ride than the stock (sport) suspension if I go with the springs/shock combo. Anyone with experience? What kind of ballpark $ figure am I looking at for springs & shocks & installation?

'08 E90 6MT SparkG/Black All options (except extended leather) || E46 M3 Track wheels for sale || E46 M3 AFE CAI for sale || E46 M3 CSL reps for sale
Gladius is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Talking

Well, first off everyone has their own oppinion in regards to suspension setups. Generally the advise people give you, are what works well for them and their driving characteristics. Also alot of advise is based on what they have tried and worked best for them as well as personal experience using as forementioned products.

There really isn't a right or wrong answer in regards to suspension setups, in regards to shocks, springs and swaybars. Problem is that there are so many choices out there in the market for us to chose from. And when you do the infinite combination possiblilities, the only way you can decide what works is by tuning your own car untill it works for you.

Shocks, springs and swaybar combinations are totally doable. Many people here have both installed onto their cars. The key is the harmony that can be achieved with all these independent products working together. Plus you as the driver being comfortable with driving the setup. Reason being, you want to be able to predict how your car will react in different situations. Remember vehicle dynamics? under throttle the car does what? and under braking the car does what? Well suspension will change those dynamics for the better or worse depending on your driving style. Of course you can learn to drive and become comfortable with what ever suspension setup.

Also remember, that though the standard suspension (sport) on the 330Ci may be a nice ride and somewhat stiff depending on the situation, but the suspension was optimized for mainly street driving to be comfortable. With an aftermarket suspension setup, no matter what setting you put it on, it will be alot stiffer than your stock setup. The ride can be described as harsh and go kart like.

Maybe Bob was commenting you shocks or sways because he realizes that youre going to still be wanting to enjoy your daily commute was well as doing weekend events with your car.

As for myself, I'm riding on a kart.
I've got Bilstein PSS and Racing Dynamic Swaybars.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius
...Last year I was talking with Bob Tunnel and he suggested H&R sport springs and Koni shocks (sport I assume, but I'm not sure), OR swaybars, but not both. I've been trying to understand why this is a one-or-the-other choice. ...
Bob Tunnell has competed and won at national SCCA events so I think I'm safe in saying he has forgotten more about car setup than I will ever know. With that sadi, he might have been suggesting a streetable compromise for someone who only wants to attend a few events per year and does not want too harsh of a street ride. If you have the time, stop by his shop again and spend a few more minutes discussing your wants and needs to fine tune the recommendation he can give you.

And please buy the stuff from him instead of trying to save $20 on the internet somewhere. Developing a relationship with Bimmerhaus will pay off in the long run if you get more serious about your autocrossing. Their expertise and advice is worth a lot as you try to go faster.

Ed

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com

My Ride: 2000 328Ci(e46)
I can help you on this. Bob Tunnell is trying to say is that you should do one or the other for one reason better handling for auto Xing. Most Auto x's are held in parking lots and un-smooth terrain and thus giving an advantage to cars with smoother suspension setups. On track you would need both because you rely more on you cars feed back, plus tracks are more smoother than Auto x terrains. In auto X's your car puts up with dips, bumps, and cracks on the surface plus most parking lots have large grains of asphalt unlike tracks. so you want your suspension to do more of the work in absorbing such obstacles. On the track you want your tires to take in more work then the suspension when it comes to absorbing the road you are driving on. Now if you took a track car with similar HP as that of a street car the street car will be more efficient. A while ago I wrote about this because many people mod their cars extremely with no regard of the auto x setup. I hope you can understand. If you still dont understand PM me and I will find an easier way to explain. Good luck and have fun.

Ps. I would suggest the shox-spring-Kumho R compound tire combination. You wont need more then that. You will be very competitive.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #5
sfzBimmer2

My Ride: '05 Ducati Monster
If you're looking to have fun and be competitive, you should be mindful of how different modifications will bump you into more competitive classes. Only front sway-bar modifications and replacement shock absorbers are permitted in the "stock" category. If you go further than that, you'll be up against more competitively built cars. Check out this site: http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/index.html or a recent copy of the SCCA rulebook. Right now, I'm wishing I wasn't in DSP...
sfzBimmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:08 PM   #6
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
I'm really glad this topic came up, as I am also about to start Autocross for the first time this year. I'm running a stock sport suspension, and was considering getting sways instead of doing suspension. I was looking to go with the UUC sways, though I heard the Racing Dynamics are good as well.

I wouldn't mind dropping the car just a tad more to get a decent balance for auto-x, and the daily driver. Could I get away with just running some lowering springs like H&R? Are there any other recommendations of springs I could run with the stock sport suspension? I wouldn't mind if the rear was raised just a bit more as a result. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfzBimmer2
If you're looking to have fun and be competitive, you should be mindful of how different modifications will bump you into more competitive classes. Only front sway-bar modifications and replacement shock absorbers are permitted in the "stock" category. If you go further than that, you'll be up against more competitively built cars. Check out this site: http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/index.html or a recent copy of the SCCA rulebook. Right now, I'm wishing I wasn't in DSP...

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:04 AM   #7
Gladius

My Ride: 2001 LSB M3
I have heard that if you replace just the springs your stock struts/shocks will wear out very quickly.

MPower619, it was my understanding that swaybars will reduce body roll (side to side). Why would you NOT want this in AutoX? Seems like you would want this is slaloms more than on the track. I think Bob specifically told me that if I only wanted to spend a few bucks, do the sways, but if I had the $$ to drop, do the shocks & springs. Seems to me that they perform different functions so why not do both?

Are there any good primers out there that discuss each suspension part and what it does? Diagrams? etc...

sfz, in our local BMWCCA club autoXs I currently run in DS. Even then I'm at the bottom of the class at 76 pts. Adding springs, sways, shocks, and my CAI only puts me at 90 points. CS is 95 pts so I'd have to do even more to move up to the next class. Race tires automatically jump me to DR, but last year only one or two cars ran in that class. Since there are plenty of BMWCCA events each year here (I think we're running 10 autoXs this year), I'm unlikely to need to worry about SCCA events.

'08 E90 6MT SparkG/Black All options (except extended leather) || E46 M3 Track wheels for sale || E46 M3 AFE CAI for sale || E46 M3 CSL reps for sale
Gladius is offline   Reply With Quote