E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
msgjuba

My Ride: 2003 330i
Thanks for the offer BMW-North. I'm not close by though, I'm in SW Ontario. The car is driveable, in fact, it feels perfectly fine, no engine light on now.

I'm getting a lot of hate on here, so I'm just going to briefly respond. I'm going to get my codes read, especially now that I know its stored in the memory. I'm not trying to diagnose over the internet. But I am trying to get an idea of possible causes that are common points of failure, and understand how those failures might affect the car, so I can use common sense to figure out what might be the problem. What do you guys think mechanics did before there were on-board computers? Geez, the internet generation...

For example, common sense would say that an unbalanced engine means a cylinder isn't firing, and ginpunk gave me a free and easy way to check if that is happening, by myself, if the problem happens again. I don't see what's so offensive about asking questions so that I have a better understanding of common points of failure.

About me not going to the mechanic as soon as my engine light goes on: I don't have the luxury of going to the mechanic every time it blips on and off again, especially knowing everytime I bring my car in I get a $1000 bill. The car has 170k, if the engine blew up tomorrow it would suck but not be the end of the world, the car isn't that valuable with that many kms. It's not like I've been driving around for months while my engine light remains on. I don't see why I need "driver education" or how I am lacking "common sense". That's a pretty rude response.

Thanks for everyone that has been helpful so far. I will try to figure out where I can get my codes read and report back.

Last edited by msgjuba; 11-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.
msgjuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cylinder, engine, not firing, power loss, vibration