E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Have you ever considered the Rogue Engineering Tranny Mounts? I have them in my E46 M3 and they are incredible. No add NVH, but much more durable than OEM.

The next time around, I may consider AKG Motorsports transmission mounts.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Just did 2 track days with my BimmerWorld transmission mounts (solid poly with enforcer cups, but not bolt-through) and they felt wonderful on the track but were slightly annoying on the 3-hour freeway drive there and back. Upshifts and downshifts felt very precise compared to stock and probably a bit more precise than the UUC Black mounts without enforcer cups. (Note, I do not have a short-shift kit or DSSR.) On track I didn't notice any extra noise or vibration, but driving home I was running the radio a little louder than usual to mask the extra transmission noise.

I'd say these BimmerWorld mounts are perfect for a car that is >30% track/AutoX. My car is only 10% track/AutoX--as I count the driving to and from events as street driving, not track driving, and I daily drive the car 2 or 3 days a week. My exhaust and intake are stock and pretty quiet, so if you have a loud aftermarket exhaust (or catless headers), you might not notice the extra noise and vibration from these. I wonder if it's possible my driveshaft is slightly unbalanced or my CSB is failing, and that's transmissing extra vibrations to the transmission?

Am thinking of going back to the UUC black transmission mounts but adding the UUC enforcer cups, and keeping the BimmerWorld mounts for the dedicated E36/E46 track car I hope to have someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
The transmission mounts can transmit quite a bit of vibration on their own, although most say it's best to match the stiffness of the engine and transmission mounts. I briefly ran UUC red poly mounts (non bolt through version) and there was too much vibration for me (and their red poly with enforcer cups caused insane levels of vibration) although at the time I had them paired with stock motor mounts. I ended up with the black UUC mounts with enforcer cups and then later upgraded from stock motor mounts to BimmerWorld's solid rubber motor mounts. This combination is pretty much perfect for me.

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 11-08-2011 at 01:35 PM.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
If you are drag racing or cranking out 400hp at the crank, then OEM works just fine. As for money shift, OEM mounts and an OEM shifter is what I have found to keep this from happening. Also, if you run those stiff mounts and wreck your car be prepared for a broken engine block and tranny mount. Run OEM and the mounts shear off, thus save the block and tranny mount (not really important). As for the life of the mounts, I find that with a stock 330 running about 100 hours of race time, the OEM mounts need to be replaced. Go beyond that, the drivers side engine mount will fail first.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
wtbass21

My Ride: 04 330i6
What is NVH? And I heard that e9x m3 engine mounts can work for our e46s or am I thinking wrong and thinking of the e46 m?
wtbass21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #25
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbass21 View Post
What is NVH? And I heard that e9x m3 engine mounts can work for our e46s or am I thinking wrong and thinking of the e46 m?
NVH = Noise, Vibration, and Harshness

At some point over the past several years, BMW released a newer version of the E46 M3 Engine Mounts which are the same as the E90 M3. I am honestly not sure if it's the same part for the non-M but I will guarantee that the newer engine mounts are pretty nice. I just installed brand new/updated OEM Motor Mounts in my E46 M3 a year ago.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
If you are drag racing or cranking out 400hp at the crank, then OEM works just fine. As for money shift, OEM mounts and an OEM shifter is what I have found to keep this from happening. Also, if you run those stiff mounts and wreck your car be prepared for a broken engine block and tranny mount. Run OEM and the mounts shear off, thus save the block and tranny mount (not really important). As for the life of the mounts, I find that with a stock 330 running about 100 hours of race time, the OEM mounts need to be replaced. Go beyond that, the drivers side engine mount will fail first.
interesting to read that you run oem mounts.

from what i hear, people also run oem e28(i think they are e28) tranny mounts. they just redrill the mounting bracket for the tranny.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #27
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
I use Bimmerworld group N engine mounts and RE tranny mounts and after 2+ years find them perfect, If I remember correctly I used slightly less torque on the nuts which helped with the vibration. I would say it is 15% more vibration than stock but combined with a DSSR and heavy shfiter knob I have no more trouble shifting when accelerating / braking hard.
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #28
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I switched back to the UUC Black poly mounts last night, but this time with the UUC enforcer cups. Took it for one short test drive. Vibration is slightly more than stock but less than the BimmerWorld poly mounts with BW enforcer cups. My memory and butt dyno are not good enough to say if the UUC black with enforcer cups have more vibration than UUC black without TME cups. To further confuse things, I noticed that the top nuts on the Bimmerworld mounts might have been over-tightened by the indie shop, but I don't know if over-tightening the nuts will pre-compress the mounts and increase NVH or not. On all the bolt-through mounts (Vorshlag, UUC race), over-tightening makes the mount stiffer and increases NVH. But these mounts are not bolt-through.

New UUC black mounts with cups are 1.5 to 2mm taller than BimmerWorld mounts with cups, but the BimmerWorld mounts have been on the car for ~500 miles so might have compressed a little. If it were more of a track car that's also street driven, I'd stay with the BimmerWorld mounts or maybe try UUC red poly (not the bolt-through race ones). I'll be keeping the BimmerWorld mounts in hopes that next year I can buy a dedicated E36 or E46 for the track.

Note that for street cars, BimmerWorld's web site recommends and sells the Rogue Engineering poly mounts. For hard-core race cars, they sell solid aluminum motor and tranny mounts! My thanks to Gary at BimmerWorld and Rob Levinson at UUC Motorwerks for their help as I sort through transmission mounting options.