E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
The official thanksgiving food thread

what are you guys making other than the traditional stuff like turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed/sweet potatoes etc.

I'm looking for something different to bring that will be really good. I know some of you have really good ideas. I'm not too interested in desserts.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Pan seared filet in a cranberry port wine reduction sauce focking nom om nom nom

oysters rockefeller

oyster stuffing possibly
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Make a sweet potato casserole with a candied pecan crust on top. Crushed pecans, brown sugar, little flour, and melted butter. Cover the top of the mashed sweet potatoes and bake in the oven until golden brown and tender.

Oh yea, I forgot the punchline. For every 3 sweet potatoes you use, use one banana. You can wrap them in aluminum foil and bake in the oven until they are mushy... say 300 for 20 minutes or so. I swear these will be the best sweet potatoes you have in your entire life. That little hint of banana will leave everyone saying WTF AWESOME!

I'm not kidding... and its amazing with gravy as well.

Oh and if anyone on here buys canned gravy, i will shoot your face. Braise the turkey neck (whole, bones and all) with a little oil in a large pan. Wait till the bottom of the pot gets nice and brown (not burned) and all of the meat falls off the bones. You should end up with a good amount of shredded salty neck meat at the bottom of the pan

Get a couple dashes of white wine to deglaze the pan, then you can add some stock from the turkey drippings itself, along with some half and half. Cook on low to medium, depending on your stove... it shouldn't be violently boiling or else the cream will peace the fvck out and your gravy will be ruined. Once it has the right consistency, season to taste. I promise you this will be the best gravy of your life. So easy to do as well....

oh yea... BRINE your turkey... just had one yesterday that was only brined in a salt solution. IMO.... 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt, 1 gallon of water, then get an herb bag full of whatever you want... peppercorns, bay leaves, etc... add a little chopped onion and garlic to the water as well. bring to a boil with all of the ingredients then bring it down to refrigerator temp. Use that to bring the turkey for minimum 24 hours. Keep the turkey in a cooler or whatever you got, keep it cold by adding ice, x amount of times throughout the day. If you are in a colder climate and you have a good cooler, i wouldn't think that adding ice more than 2 times a day is necessary, just let that bad boy suck up all that flavor and moisture

Last edited by JJR4884; 11-21-2011 at 12:55 PM.
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Half of Thanksgiving is having good snacks around while everyone waits to eat at 3:00.

We do stuffed mushroom caps for hors d'oeuvres sometimes. Buy some big crimini mushrooms (which are actually baby portabellos) and cut off the stems. Don't try to wash them. Mix up some bulk sausage with shaved parmesan, garlic, pine nuts, spinach, whatever - maybe a little egg to hold it together if you don't use parmesan. Then form a mound on each mushroom cap and cook at 400 for 20 minutes or so.

You could make a kick ass antipasto platter - with different kinds of salamis, olives, pickled veggies and provalone.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Half of Thanksgiving is having good snacks around while everyone waits to eat at 3:00.

We do stuffed mushroom caps for hors d'oeuvres sometimes. Buy some big crimini mushrooms (which are actually baby portabellos) and cut off the stems. Don't try to wash them. Mix up some bulk sausage with shaved parmesan, garlic, pine nuts, spinach, whatever - maybe a little egg to hold it together if you don't use parmesan. Then form a mound on each mushroom cap and cook at 400 for 20 minutes or so.

You could make a kick ass antipasto platter - with different kinds of salamis, olives, pickled veggies and provalone.
I love stuffed mushrooms we make them often, with crabmeat on the inside and an imperial sauce on top

I'll have to give your recipe a shot one day soon.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post

sounds good... we do that as well, the stuffed mushrooms... so good

also, the antipasto is a must for us haha.... provolone, prosciutto di parma, pickled peppers, marinated mushrooms, marinated artichokes, marinated roasted red peppers, stuffed cherry peppers with tuna, stuffed cherry peppers with a block of provolone wrapped in prosciutto, salami, and assorted olives

all paired up with some insane bread and some sloooooow roasted garlic in oil

yeaaaaaaaaaaabuddy
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Are you looking for an appetizer, or a whole dish to bring? I just realized after I typed this up that you aren't looking for traditional... Well anyway here is what I did:

I haven't finalized what I am bringing over to the family's house. They usually like to over do it with the "back of the box" recipes from crap that are usually overloaded with cheese, butter and prepackaged ingredients. My girlfriend is bringing a prosciutto wrapped date stuffed with goat cheese.

I just did a "mock" Thanksgiving dinner with my girlfriend 2 weekends ago. Didn't post pics yet, just been lazy. I had a brined chicken, sweet potato gratin, fresh steamed brussel sprouts tossed with roasted garlic and parmesan reggiano, and home made stuffing that I decided to cook in the bird. Made a side salad, too, with chopped romaine, red onion, tomato, roasted baby red peppers, roasted beets, croutons, blue cheese crumbles and topped with a blue cheese dressing.

The brine I wanted to have a nice herby, savory taste so I used the standard kosher salt, sugar and water mix then I added ground sage, rosemary, thyme, dehydrated onion, ground garlic, apple cider vinegar, cracked black and pink peppercorns and bay leaves. Brined it off for ~14 hours, spiced the outside, buttered under the skin, tied the legs together, tied the wings up and got it into the roasting pan. I put about 1/4-1/2 of an inch of the the brine at the bottom of the pan, and then tented it with aluminum foil. I cooked it at 330 until it was right around 135 degrees, took the tent off and raised the temp to around 375.

I don't like sweet potatoes overly sweet, and that's what most people seem to do. Top them with something caramel, marshmallows, glaze...We sliced them thin, layed them while adding just a little pepper and cayenne every couple layers, poured over some cream and topped it with more paremsean reggiano. The parmesan gets nice and crunchy with a touch of salt, the sweet potatoes provide their own sugar, the cayenne gives it that perfect little touch of heat to get your taste buds going and the cream keeps everything moist and well... creamy.

I've always been a fan of breakfast sausage in the stuffing. The way I do it is to get the roll of sausage and cook it like chopped meat. Once that is about 75% cooked I transfer it to paper towels and pat off the fat. Into the pan that I cooked the sausage goes chopped onion, celery and grated carrot. cook them down a bit, add chopped garlic, ground sage, ground thyme, celery salt and red pepper flakes and cook that down for a minute or so and then deglaze with chicken stock. Let all of that simmer for 5 muinutes or so and transfer that mixture, with your sausage into the bread. Oh, you can also sautee up the organs and chop them up and toss them in but that's not really my thing. Combine until moist, adding more chicken stock if it's too dry and place into the bird. I think I am going to try adding chopped walnuts and dried cranberries to it next time, that should add some more texture as well as flavor into the overall mix.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Pan seared filet in a cranberry port wine reduction sauce focking nom om nom nom

oysters rockefeller

oyster stuffing possibly
oyster stuffing sounds
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
I'll be smoking a turkey and using this honey brine recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/...MATTER,00.html

I'll post pics during the process.

Can't wait!

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
I'm excited to make this recipe:

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
someone else is cooking. I <3 Americans.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
joeski3d

The bird was done hours before I expected it to be. Which is good... I can get some zzzzzzzzz time before hauling it off to the in-laws.

The bird brined for 6 hours in a couple gallons of water, sea salt, 2 quarts of veggie stock and 1 lb. of honey.

It smoked for 6 hours. I used apple wood for the smoke. And had quartered apples and onions in the water bowl to help with flavor. I also stuffed the bird with quartered apples to keep the juices in the bird.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 11-24-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #13
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Looks pretty awesome. How do you reheat that?
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Sent from my phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1322179705108.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	426437  

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
And the ham

Sent from my phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1322180809274.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	426439  

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Looks pretty awesome. How do you reheat that?
It the oven at low heat for about 45 mins. Still juicy!

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20

Heritage breed turkey raised by me dad - a royal pom. Had a Deschutes Jubelale with it.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Bimmer
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post

amazing looking bird Joe, I seriously considered smoking ours but was too lazy...I regret that now.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
amazing looking bird Joe, I seriously considered smoking ours but was too lazy...I regret that now.
Thanks Ghostie. It was a triumph. The flavor far exceeded my expectations.

Ballbusters Inc.