E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Rebellious

My Ride: 330ci
Clutch kit purchase for 5spd 2002 330CI

Hey guys,

I'm going to need a clutch replacement really soon here. I was hoping to stay under $650. I've done my research. My car has (apparently according to previous owner) A "UUC lightweight clutch/flywheel recently replaced." Obviously not recently replaced (or broken in poorly or something).

Here's what I've found (and please correct me if any of this is wrong):

-stock clutch setup is most comfortable, will last roughly 100k miles
-light weight flywheels make the clutch pedal feel really stiff and bad, also cause rattle
-dual mass flywheels are laggish and a pain to install but comfortable (part of stock setup mentioned above)
-e39 m5 clutches should work for my car (though turnermotorsports doesn't list the 330ci as an application for it, even though it's got an m54)

Now I want something that will perform either as well as stock, or better (clamping force) and last a definitely decent amount of time (at LEAST 75k miles). with the information I have above, I have a few different options.

I can either:

1.) Buy another UUC full clutch kit. I need a new flywheel I'm assuming since i'm doing a replacement (though my old LTW UUC flywheel should be a single mass that can be refinished can't it?)

2.) Buy the m5 clutch at turnermotorsports, keep my current UUC flywheel and machine it. Or I can get an e39 m5 clutch on bimmerworld as well (made by sachs) for $430.

3.) buy a clutch kit on ebay. Either a SACHS or LuK one. I've heard good things about SACHS and nothing about LuK. The LuK one is like $130 cheaper - both are sold from the same supplier, and both look very, very similar in product description image. To be honest I haven't heard of any e46 owners that have either except one guy that liked his sachs. But that inclines me to believe the LuK should be ok then as well for less of a price.

4.) Looking at bimmerworld, a clutchmasters clutch kit for $692 CDN (im from canada, so i expect rape at the border and stupid duty charges and shipping. it'll be at least 800 by the time it's in my hands). It's definitely the best brand name I can find and I have confidence in their product (especially over sachs or LuK) but it's a little too rich for my blood.

5.) get an OEM clutch. somewhere somehow without paying the dealer with both my kidneys.

Where else do I look for quality packages?

And what do you recommend for my application?

EDIT:
Some more quick info about my car:
-3.46 diff
-I/H/E

REEDIT:
It appears from research that LuK manufactured OEM clutches for BMW. Is this a safe way to go? Because it's cheap as hell. Right now I'm considering: Keeping my LTW flywheel (machining it if need be), LuK clutch kit.

LAST EDIT: my issues leading me to believe my clutch needs replacement are:
Over the last week of ownership, I started slipping a bit in 5th until the car warmed up. Now it happens more and more as the week has progressed. Now at times I can't even accelerate around a car without pressing too hard and experiencing slippage. Then sometimes all of a sudden, I'll stop slipping as if the car "warmed up" and it has full clamping ability. IDK wtf. All I know is it's gotten worse over the course of this week. Quick time period to fail in. Anyway,

Thanks gentlemen.
Rebellious is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Rebellious

I could really use some help for this, i need to make the order soon so I can install next weekend
Old 11-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
First, it's the weekend, which means everyone is out, so you won't get as many responses as during the week.

If I'm reading it right, you really don't know what type of clutch "system" you have. Based on the fact that you didn't buy it & have it installed. So if it were me I'd pull it all apart & examine it, if your not sure what it is, take pics & post them. So DON'T buy anything untill it's apart. Then you can buy the right parts the first time.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Rebellious

fair enough thanks. It's the daily so I don't think I can afford that kind of off-time. I guess what you're saying is don't assume it has the UUC flywheel? regardless, I'm going to buy an entire clutch kit minus the flywheel. how often do flywheels need to be machined/replaced anyway in the case that it's the stock dual mass?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellious View Post
fair enough thanks. It's the daily so I don't think I can afford that kind of off-time. I guess what you're saying is don't assume it has the UUC flywheel? regardless, I'm going to buy an entire clutch kit minus the flywheel. how often do flywheels need to be machined/replaced anyway in the case that it's the stock dual mass?

Public transportation ? Taxi ? Mom Dad / Friend ?

Maybe you get lucky & order the right parts, but then again maybe not. I'd get it taken apart to see what your really dealing with. If you really need parts quickly, call that vender in the morning & have them overnight them to the shop that's doing the work. Guessing at what clutch parts to buy is probably a bad idea.

Good luck.

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Rebellious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Public transportation ? Taxi ? Mom Dad / Friend ?

Maybe you get lucky & order the right parts, but then again maybe not. I'd get it taken apart to see what your really dealing with. If you really need parts quickly, call that vender in the morning & have them overnight them to the shop that's doing the work. Guessing at what clutch parts to buy is probably a bad idea.

Good luck.
The work would be done myself. The only wild card really is the flywheel; and I'm fairly positive it just needs to be flat and I can make sure it's flat myself. I guess moreso I'm wondering out of the options ive listed (and whatever else is out there) what is the best option for a oem-like clutch
Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
Rebellious

this looks like a solid option. sprung hub is what i need IF i have a UUC flywheel, right?

http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...E52401217.html

The impression I'm getting is if I have a UUC flywheel, I cannot get a sachs or LuK stock replacement clutch kit. Is this true?

Last edited by Rebellious; 11-27-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #8
Rob43
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellious View Post
this looks like a solid option. sprung hub is what i need IF i have a UUC flywheel, right?

http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...E52401217.html

The impression I'm getting is if I have a UUC flywheel, I cannot get a sachs or LuK stock replacement clutch kit. Is this true?

I'm real tired & going to sleep. My last thought is to replace it with a E39 M5 clutch & pressure plate, because that's how the UUC LWF came. I plugged that into the link you gave, they had some inexpensive prices on them. I'd still wait until you had it apart before buying anything.

Goodnight.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #9
Rebellious

thanks a ton for your help. I'll wait til it's apart