E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #121
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
TIP: you don't have to push down on the clip

The clips that are snapped onto the hoses are designed to be pushed down in the closed position. That way when you force the hose on after lubing the internal O-ring, the spring clip will ride up and over the ramp and into the recess that locks the hose on. In other words when you push the hose on, you'll hear a click when it's seated properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
Thanks good point about the splash guard. I guess I'll have to put the fan in to test it though.

All seems to have gone fine. I was worried about the ET because it seemed loose. After the fan/shroud is re-installed it is all tight again. I did have a leak on the hoses at the top of the ET. You really have to push the hose on well before pushing down on the clip. It seamed like it was on properly until things started to heat up!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #122
willkenni05

My Ride: '04 330xi
Just finished up a complete cooling system overhaul including belts and hoses thanks to this great write up from paraklas!!! Awesome job!!!
willkenni05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #123
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Glad to see that it's still helpful. After 3 years, I think it's time for another coolant change and new tensioner pullies.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #124
dcaron999

My Ride: 2002 330xi
My 2002 330xi auto has been throwing "thermostat stuck open" codes for over a year, with the temp needle in the right spot (left to middle as engine warms up), and cabin heating working normally. Ive been clearing the codes more and more frequently though.

I live in Quebec, Canada. Im the second owner, have owned the car for about a year, and car has 155,000Kms on the clock (almost 100,000 Miles).

Will do the T-stat + water pump replacement soon using this DIY, if the estimate from a local Indy's is ridicoulus. I need to factor in the costs for me to buy the fan wrench tools to remove the fan on my automatic ...

Last edited by dcaron999; 11-24-2011 at 07:49 PM.
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #125
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron999 View Post
My 2002 330xi auto has been throwing "thermostat stuck open" codes for over a year, with the temp needle in the right spot (left to middle as engine warms up), and cabin heating working normally. Ive been clearing the codes more and more frequently though.

I live in Quebec, Canada. Im the second owner, have owned the car for about a year, and car has 155,000Kms on the clock (almost 100,000 Miles).

Will do the T-stat + water pump replacement soon using this DIY, if the estimate from a local Indy's is ridicoulus. I need to factor in the costs for me to buy the fan wrench tools to remove the fan on my automatic ...
Would it be worth replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one while you're at it?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #126
dcaron999

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Thanks for the tip. Might do that as well. Ive checked one or two threads on this forum to see if I can hande this. Doesn't seem too hard to do.
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #127
corv75

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Anyone know this part number. It's the cap that covers the thermostat electrical connection in the pic. just above the red circle. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat8.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	426587  
corv75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #128
David02

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by corv75 View Post
Anyone know this part number. It's the cap that covers the thermostat electrical connection in the pic. just above the red circle. Thanks
Yes, BMW part number 12 51 1 742 836 Price is 0.78 cents each. Hope this helps.
David02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #129
corv75

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #130
David02

Quote:
Thanks.
Helps working for BMW im bored here at work. Welcome btw
Old 11-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #131
corv75

Just did total cooling refresh and 2 for 1 fan swap. Check fluid in E/P tank this morning and it was down some. I will add some more but wondered how long it takes before it levels out.
Drove a couple times yeasterday for 15 mins both city and hiway with no leaks and air and heat both work fine.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #132
David02

Quote:
Just did total cooling refresh and 2 for 1 fan swap. Check fluid in E/P tank this morning and it was down some. I will add some more but wondered how long it takes before it levels out.
Drove a couple times yeasterday for 15 mins both city and hiway with no leaks and air and heat both work fine.
When I did my cooling system overhaul my expansion tank was low a little. I added some after 150 miles and is holding up still at 2000 miles later. I like to top off the tank to where the float just barely comes up to the lip. I talked to some of the mechanics here and they all agree to never fill it to where bmw says fill it. Just slightly less.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #133
corv75

Ok thanks for letting me pick your brain.(knowledge)
Old 11-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #134
Stinger9

Overdo it!

Did you bleed and bleed again? Can take a few times before system is all bled properly. Do it each time with the heater hose valve open.

What do you mean, two for one fan swap?

Quote:
Old 11-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #135
corv75

I had front of car up and filled with fluid till got no more air coming out of the bleeder screw with the heater on high and fan on high. Let car sit overnight with bleeder screw off and then ran car with heater set on high and fan on high with E/P tank cap off and bleeder screw unscrewed enough to let any air out. I ran till I had steady stream of coolant coming out while of course adding fluid through E/P . Read several ways of bleeding and I have no warning lights or problems with heat or ac so I think I have air out. Most post said it may take a few days I was just curious what David02 had to say since he worked at BMW shop. The fan swap is a mod many are doing on this sight. just goto DIY and you can find the pros and cons but it was real easy since I was doing refresh anyway and the mechanical fan and front aux fan are now gone. Replace with one electric fan that is direct bolt and plug unit. Let me know if you have nay other Q's
Old 11-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #136
Stinger9

Thanks

Good move with the swap. I have a manual and appreciate it every time I lift the fan out to work on the car.
Get a good price on the fan?

Quote:
I had front of car up and filled with fluid till got no more air coming out of the bleeder screw with the heater on high and fan on high. Let car sit overnight with bleeder screw off and then ran car with heater set on high and fan on high with E/P tank cap off and bleeder screw unscrewed enough to let any air out. I ran till I had steady stream of coolant coming out while of course adding fluid through E/P . Read several ways of bleeding and I have no warning lights or problems with heat or ac so I think I have air out. Most post said it may take a few days I was just curious what David02 had to say since he worked at BMW shop. The fan swap is a mod many are doing on this sight. just goto DIY and you can find the pros and cons but it was real easy since I was doing refresh anyway and the mechanical fan and front aux fan are now gone. Replace with one electric fan that is direct bolt and plug unit. Let me know if you have nay other Q's
Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #137
corv75

199 with free ship could of maybe got it cheaper but wanted if fast so picked closet retailer. Have good weekend.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #138
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Thanks for the write-up. I'll be tackling this project later this week.

Had a coolant leak last week and decided to go ahead and replace the primary cooling system components. I picked up a Behr radiator, Behr expansion tank, Geba metal-impeller waterpump, new Behr rad cap, OEM upper & lower hoses, and a couple of smaller plastic hoses. Got a spare bleeder screw also - all for $408 delivered.

I replaced the thermo and belts/idlers last year, so they should be good to go.

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #139
corv75

Better get an ATT to in case you break it off while taking the expansion tank off. A lot of guys seem to break it. I did not but my tank came off very easily. Its at the bottom of the tank. The write up talks about and has part number.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #140
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Better get an ATT to in case you break it off while taking the expansion tank off. A lot of guys seem to break it. I did not but my tank came off very easily. Its at the bottom of the tank. The write up talks about and has part number.
Thanks for the heads-up, but my car doesn't have one. It's a manual.

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, expansion, stewart, tensioner, water pump