E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #61
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
You can see right on the graph that the correction factor is STD not SAE.
I have no use for non SAE dyno's as there is too much variance in results above and beyond the variance already involved in dyno testing.

They don't just account for temp but also humidity and other factors as well.
(Air pressure/Altitude etc.)

I can see on your test that the humidity was 52%, thats very low, I would be lucky if I ever got a day that dry here. Its 100% today.

My car has headers, cai, and the b30 manifold and made almost 190 to the wheels and your saying you made 2 whp more stock... give me a break. Maybe you have a fine factory example but no car will have that much power increase over stock randomly.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 11-29-2011 at 09:18 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #62
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Exactly!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #63
BROKENBIMMER

My Ride: 328i
SAE j1349 correction:
29.23 in/hg.
77 degree temp
0 percent humidity

Standard correction:
29.92 in/hg.
68 degree temp
0 percent humidity.
There is very little difference between the 2 but it really doesnt matter to me what u want to believe I'm not gonna argue a point when I have Dyno proof..I only posted the numbers to give a real life example of numbers from a car pushing 300000 miles..
BROKENBIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #64
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKENBIMMER View Post
SAE j1349 correction:
29.23 in/hg.
77 degree temp
0 percent humidity

Standard correction:
29.92 in/hg.
68 degree temp
0 percent humidity.
There is very little difference between the 2 but it really doesnt matter to me what u want to believe I'm not gonna argue a point when I have Dyno proof..I only posted the numbers to give a real life example of numbers from a car pushing 300000 miles..
That works out to a 4% higher power rating with standard conversion. (roughly) actually possibly closer to 5%. But I'll give the benefit of the doubt at 4%. That means SAE you made 175. That number is alot more reasonable compared to other SAE results. Especially given it was on your best run, and others would have been about 165.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #65
BROKENBIMMER

Not to mention I lost power after my header install becuz these n/a motors need the back pressure from the exhaust mainfolds and u can have the biggest manifold in the world If it's pulling air through the same throttle body ur gonna lose hp also from the loss of air speed.the fuel will not atomize properly and cai is irrelevant on a Dyno ur gonna be drawing hot air reguardless if the car is stationary. U can be mad that ur "mods" have no benifit and are actually causing a loss of power
Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #66
BROKENBIMMER

You're math is wrong. It's a 2.6% difference. Nowhere near 6%. And that print is my top run that day The highest numbers I got from the car stock was on a cool night with the airbox lid off hood open and a fan and saw 192whp. If u choose to believe it or not Idc
Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #67
jared_wiesner

I realize you don't care if we believe you, but I don't like misinformation being spread.

2.6 is the difference from temp alone, then there is humidity, and pressure factored in as well.

Read this article:

http://www.gettorq.com/store/blog/sa...-dyno-numbers/

You haven't posted a single dyno proving 192, only 182... so for now all I can base this on is the 182 dyno.
I can say my car made 210whp with bolt ons, the burden of proof is on me.

I also know my car is phenominally faster than stock now, so I know i've gained, not hurt it. The mods I've done have been proven time and time again to make power on these cars, unless you have some hidden source of info that none of us have.

Loss of back pressure does not hurt power, loss of exhaust velocity does. The biggest exit with the fastest speed through it will increase max power. Back pressure can sometimes aid torque production in the low end and maybe this is what you mean. Back pressure being present due to the most efficient exhaust velocity (the velocity being the important part and back pressure a side effect) is simply a power loss.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 11-29-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #68
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
182 is definitely not SAE corrected. I dynoed 177 rwhp after my B30 manifold swap...no way you ran 5whp over me in a stock 328.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
I dynoed 176 with Intake software and fan delete.(2.5) You're not making much more power than a stock B28.
Iceman00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #69
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
I realize you don't care if we believe you, but I don't like misinformation being spread.

2.6 is the difference from temp alone, then there is humidity, and pressure factored in as well.

Read this article:

http://www.gettorq.com/store/blog/sa...-dyno-numbers/

You haven't posted a single dyno proving 192, only 182... so for now all I can base this on is the 182 dyno.
I can say my car made 210whp with bolt ons, the burden of proof is on me.

I also know my car is phenominally faster than stock now, so I know i've gained, not hurt it. The mods I've done have been proven time and time again to make power on these cars, unless you have some hidden source of info that none of us have.

Loss of back pressure does not hurt power, loss of exhaust velocity does. The biggest exit with the fastest speed through it will increase max power. Back pressure can sometimes aid torque production in the low end and maybe this is what you mean. Back pressure being present due to the most efficient exhaust velocity (the velocity being the important part and back pressure a side effect) is simply a power loss.
^That is incorrect.
Iceman00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #70
Hornung418

Quote:
Not to mention I lost power after my header install becuz these n/a motors need the back pressure from the exhaust mainfolds and u can have the biggest manifold in the world If it's pulling air through the same throttle body ur gonna lose hp also from the loss of air speed.the fuel will not atomize properly and cai is irrelevant on a Dyno ur gonna be drawing hot air reguardless if the car is stationary. U can be mad that ur "mods" have no benifit and are actually causing a loss of power
You are entirely full of crap. The M54B25 manifold uses the same D shaped cross-section as the M54B30 manifold and uses the same 2.9 inch throttle body...So who are we to believe, the Engineers at BMW, or some guy with a broken POS that supposedly pulls 192 whp completely stock.

You want us to believe that you only lose 1 (ONE) horsepower when transmitting power to the wheels? And in case you didn't know this about the MS42,43,45.1 and MSS54 DMEs...they adapt the fuel to meet the requirements of the extra air entering the combustion chamber based on how much oxygen is read by the Pre-cat Sensors.

Also a long tube CAI that pulls air from the bumper with smooth out the air flow before it reaches the MAF allowing more air to be read and a better fuel mixture to be attained. (Iceman, correct if I'm wrong please)

But you can continue to keep thinking you are making big numbers on a 260,000mile stock engine...but don't go spreading your lies in this thread.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #71
Hornung418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I dynoed 176 with Intake software and fan delete.(2.5) You're not making much more power than a stock B28.
I'm getting a new dyno this winter before my header install. I wish I would have got a stock baseline before the manifold swap.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #72
BROKENBIMMER

Iceman apparently has a brain. I'm a wyotech grad through highperformace powertrains class and an ase certified master tech..you are the only one spreading misinformation. I know my shit period bottom line
Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #73
Hornung418

Oh boy...Look out for this guy! He graduated from WyoTech! GTFO with your bogus numbers and charts.

If your baseline is 182, throw a B30 manifold in there and come back with the numbers. kthanksbye
Old 11-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #74
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
^That is incorrect.
Could you explain what is incorrect and why?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #75
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Iceman apparently has a brain. I'm a wyotech grad through highperformace powertrains class and an ase certified master tech..you are the only one spreading misinformation. I know my shit period bottom line
I didn't want it to come to this, but the fact that your touting your WyoTech education as proof of your knowledge is just plain funny.

Dude, its a private school with flashy ads that will take anyones money and pass them along until graduation so long as they pay up. Its certainly not prestigous, certainly not nearly as prestigious as what they tell you guys when you go there or talk about in their ads.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #76
Hornung418

"Notable WyoTech graduates" returned no useful hits on the Google-machine.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #77
BROKENBIMMER

I guess ASE is bogus too huh..I guess the fact I work on cars 12 hrs a day 5 days a week means nothing took I guess being a mechanic at one of the biggest car dealerships in va means nothing too..ur a forum cruiseing punk with zero knowledge or education posting bs
Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #78
BROKENBIMMER

Really dude the Kroger cashier trying to question a certified tech..it's funny
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #79
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Really dude the Kroger cashier trying to question a certified tech..it's funny
Try assistant parts and service manager (Fixed Operations) at a dealership.

Look I don't wanna get into I hold this position blah blah blah.
It has nothing to do with the validity of our information.

As Hornung has said, do you really think it's reasonable that your car is down 1 HP from the published figures?

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 11-29-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #80
BROKENBIMMER

The other guy not you..I have no beef with u Ur right about wyotech I'll be the first to admit it but that diploma got me my job I have now..with so many people "claiming to know there shit" looking for work it helps to have the diploma i went there for the edge over the compitition not for the education