E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #141
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Good Deal Lair

But you did not mention getting a new temperature sensor that plugs into the lower rad hose. This leaks if you try to transfer to the new hose without a new O-ring, and that part is only sold with a new sensor. Relatively cheap part for the insurance.

downtown where
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #142
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
I also did this recently

But thought i would share that i hae an early build (11/98) 323 that is a manual but had a mechanical fan! One outside the rad and a mechanical one inside the bay that i wasnt prepared to see! Anyways i ran down and grabbed the neccesary tools

And off she came anyways nice write up.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #143
M3TooLow

My Ride: E46 M3
probably a stupid question but its the same DIY for the m3's right?
M3TooLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #144
ms328i

My Ride: 99 328i & 04 X5
replaced my pulleys and belts this week but the noise did not go away....end up removing the tensioner by the alternator. found out that the mechanical tensioner has a broken piece in the back. ordered new one from Autohausaz and replaced it today....problem solved!! Great DIY!! thanks!!
ms328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #145
Stinger9

Did You?

Did you replace the mechanical tensioner with the hydraulic one?
BMW does not supply the mechanical one any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms328i View Post
replaced my pulleys and belts this week but the noise did not go away....end up removing the tensioner by the alternator. found out that the mechanical tensioner has a broken piece in the back. ordered new one from Autohausaz and replaced it today....problem solved!! Great DIY!! thanks!!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #146
ms328i

My Ride: 99 328i & 04 X5
Autohausaz.com sells the mechanical tensioner for $53.95.....the hydraulic kit will cost you almost $100.....both were made by INA....OEM supplier for BMW.
The first pic shows where the piece broke off causing some noise and vibration on the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload[1] (2).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	427110   Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload[1].jpg
Views:	115
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	427111   Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload[2].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	427112  
ms328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #147
Stinger9

Yeah, I know the aftermarket still sells

the factory part. My point was that BMW deems it so undesireable that they replaced the part with an improved hydraulic unit and stopped selling the spring version. But it will carry you another 50K miles or so.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #148
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Spent 3.5 hours installing everything tonight. Had no real problems (except for the bottom plug & hose on the tank). I only installed the waterpump, the ex tank, the radiator, and upper/lower hoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corv75 View Post
Better get an ATT to in case you break it off while taking the expansion tank off. A lot of guys seem to break it. I did not but my tank came off very easily. Its at the bottom of the tank. The write up talks about and has part number.
My manual trans car has a plug in the bottom where the big hose for the auto trans cars goes. I had no trouble removing it. I thought the tank was supposed to be blank on the bottom, so I had a moment of panic when I saw the giant hole in the bttom of the tank. The pics on RealOEM don't show the bottom of the tank, so they look like two different tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
But you did not mention getting a new temperature sensor that plugs into the lower rad hose. This leaks if you try to transfer to the new hose without a new O-ring, and that part is only sold with a new sensor. Relatively cheap part for the insurance.

downtown where
I didn't get this in time, so i reused the sensor with its OG o-ring. I'll check it tomorrow on my extended test drive and replace it if it leaks.

I'm in lovely Birmingham, AL.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #149
Stinger9

Home of Vulcan The Iron Man up on the hill

Client used to take me up to The Club. SO seriously, Food at The Club was incredibly embarrassing. Had to fake liking it! Food from a can would have been better. But beautiful setting, and I'll happily park my own car!
Beautiful city.

Just wanted to let you know so you'd watch the lower hose. And messy to change after you fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post

I didn't get this in time, so i reused the sensor with its OG o-ring. I'll check it tomorrow on my extended test drive and replace it if it leaks.

I'm in lovely Birmingham, AL.

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-01-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #150
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Client used to take me up to The Club.
Beautiful city.

Just wanted to let you know so you'd watch the lower hose. And messy to change after you fill.

It's not a bad place to be, but when I moved here it was a cultural wasteland. It's grown up nicely.

The Club is now called The View. Same place, slightly different look. Might even be the same menu. I went there for the first time 25 years ago, and was voted 'best-looking date' at my g/f's company Christmas party. She was an accountant, and she had some seriously ugly co-workers. I think about that night every time I hear the name. The valet couldn't drive a manual, so I had to park my own car.

Thanks again for the heads-up. I hope it doesn't leak.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #151
Gvega702

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i Sport
Doing my expansion tank now and the upper radiator hose will not disconnect from the radiator. Sprayed with wd40 and it will wiggle but won't come off, the clips are up ofcourse and it won't slide back. Any suggestions?
Gvega702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #152
Stinger9

Do more than pull the clip up. Take it off to be sure.
Then you will be able to pull with conviction.
Not the first time I've heard of one sticking.
Wiggle, wiggle and pull hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvega702 View Post
Doing my expansion tank now and the upper radiator hose will not disconnect from the radiator. Sprayed with wd40 and it will wiggle but won't come off, the clips are up ofcourse and it won't slide back. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #153
Gvega702

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i Sport
Finally wiggled off, thanks for the help! You guys on here are all very helpful
Gvega702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #154
Lair
Modded ///Member

Just referred to this thread again when I replaced my alternator - to verify that my belt routing was correct.

Thanks, OP (and e46fan, too)!

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #155
ibflo

My Ride: 325I E46
this was very helpful but I need a step by step only on radiator flush. Help please, just a woman trying to save myself from getting ripped off by dealer.
ibflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #156
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibflo View Post
this was very helpful but I need a step by step only on radiator flush. Help please, just a woman trying to save myself from getting ripped off by dealer.
There is no way to prevent getting ripped off by a dealer. They own the house.
Find an indy that will do the work who knows e46's.

Basically follow this thread and leave out all part replacements.
Basically open the radiator drain port and the engine block drain plug while at the same time removing the ET cap.
Let all old coolant drain out. If dirty, flush from top to bottom with clear water. If clean, just close openings and fill with proper mix thru the ET to proper level.
Learn to bleed your system properly, then do it.

Also look up DIY's on this board for flush, or all the individual tasks.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #157
fanatic128

My Ride: 2005 330i
Hello- Help me confirm this please as I'm getting ready to flush the coolant. I thought 50/50 already contains water and actually has
a message on the container to "do not add water" yet this write up suggests that we take 50/50 and mix that with 50% water? am I reading this correct? I want to make sure I'm not adding too much water. And it's distilled water correct? Is this the most updated DIY for engine coolant flush?
fanatic128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #158
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
Are you using BMW coolant? I haven't seen that pre-mixed, which is why you see directions to dilute with water.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #159
fanatic128

My Ride: 2005 330i
I got it..I misread it. Thanks .I'm trying to get a better idea of where the bolt and washer on the engine block is located. Guess I'll have to just get under there and look. Do you guys recommend running some type of radiator cleaner through it first and if so which one? From DYI below looks like he recommends running distilled water through it to flush any old coolant.

http://www.impee.co.uk/radiator_flush.htm
fanatic128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #160
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
When I did my cooling system refresh, I just drained all the coolant out that would come out, then refilled with fresh BMW coolant (mixed with distilled water). Some like to fill it up with water, then drain that ... seems like alot of work, to me.

The bolt is located on the passenger side of the engine towards the front, above the suspension. One of the DIYs has a picture of it.

Tags
coolant, expansion, stewart, tensioner, water pump