E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
lowbluebimmer

My Ride: 323 ci
Lsd swap?

i have a 2000 323 ci. im looking for an inexpensive limited slip swap and would like to know the best options. i have just began looking for diffs and i found one on cl for 150. this guy believes it came out of a e30 325i. i can do the work myself and the price seems worth the gamble but i figure id ask for reassurance.
Thanks.
lowbluebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Can someone else take this one.

The word that comes to mind starts with "S" and ends with "H".

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
lowbluebimmer

My Ride: 323 ci
uh... yeah rob i have searched.... looks like the e30 diff wouldnt work but im still having a rough time finding the best option and i am tired of single wheel burnouts. id really just appreciate a little advice. im new to the site and new to the car and would like to learn as much as possible...
lowbluebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Got it rob

no other diff will work without a custom subframe.

If you want a good option that you could possibly find for cheap. Get an oem e46 m3 sub-frame and diff. search on how to do it cause other things are needed. Or get a lsd for your car from a supplier.

done

IMAG02051

Last edited by darksideracer69; 12-04-2011 at 10:46 PM.
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbluebimmer View Post
uh... yeah rob i have searched.... looks like the e30 diff wouldnt work but im still having a rough time finding the best option and i am tired of single wheel burnouts. id really just appreciate a little advice. im new to the site and new to the car and would like to learn as much as possible...
Best advice you're going to get: quit doing burnouts or the next question you'll be asking is how to repair the subframe mounting points for less than $5000. Not only will this help keep you from ripping the rear subframe mounts out of the car, you'll also eliminate your "need" for an expensive custom LSD for a grand savings of between $5k-$8k.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbluebimmer View Post
i have a 2000 323 ci. im looking for an inexpensive limited slip swap and would like to know the best options. i have just began looking for diffs and i found one on cl for 150. this guy believes it came out of a e30 325i. i can do the work myself and the price seems worth the gamble but i figure id ask for reassurance.
Thanks.

Honestly, the ability to do burnouts in your Bimmer is quite expensive.

On the front side there's the cost of the LSD, getting it in the pumpkin, & then into the car. Easily $1800 to $2000 or more.

You could save a few bucks by installing an entire E46 M3 sub frame with 3.64 lsd. But your car doesn't rev to 8K RPM, plus it's a 5 speed, so personally I don't like that ratio. Then there's the hassle of finding a decent used piece at a reasonable price, and getting it installed.

Last, the sub frame issues. If you don't reenforce your sub frame (expensive), you'll likely tear it apart in a short period of time.

You just need to ask yourself this question: How DEEP are your pockets.

Good luck in your decision.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 12-05-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
The word that comes to mind starts with "S" and ends with "H".
Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
invictus

My Ride: M3, 749R, SV650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
damn, that shit is awesome :o

CCW. Dunlop. Ground Control. StopTech. Hawk. Vorschlag. Rogue Engineering. Recaro. TCDesign. RaceTech. VAC. Motul. Vorsteiner.
Find me on track: 10/19-21 Sonoma Speedway // 11/10-11 Thunderhill
The story so far...

Fund my track car:

PM me about my: stock diffuser, stock trunk
WTB 1x Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 265/35/18 (used is okay)
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Driver08

My Ride: '88 325is, '04 ZHP
LSD options

Sadly true that there appears to be no economical options for getting LSD's for non-M E46's. I'm annoyed to no end not to have one. I like my 330 well enough and I'm personally not interested in burnouts but driving on or near the limit with an open diff just isn't very rewarding. I should have researched more before I bought the car. I wrongly assumed swapping in different diffs would be as easy as it is on my E30. Not so. Not by a mile. I'm just learning really about my E46 but i can tell you TMS (turner motorsports) and diffsonline are popular sources but expect to be in for 2-3K in a hurry. As previously stated, using the entire rear end from an E46 M3 is another option but you will have to live with gearing that is probably ill-suited to your car or spend more money to change it's gearing. Someone on the forum is working on making an E30 diff work but it appears that is going to require lots of work.
Driver08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
wanganstyle

My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver08 View Post
Sadly true that there appears to be no economical options for getting LSD's for non-M E46's. I'm annoyed to no end not to have one. I like my 330 well enough and I'm personally not interested in burnouts but driving on or near the limit with an open diff just isn't very rewarding. I should have researched more before I bought the car. I wrongly assumed swapping in different diffs would be as easy as it is on my E30. Not so. Not by a mile. I'm just learning really about my E46 but i can tell you TMS (turner motorsports) and diffsonline are popular sources but expect to be in for 2-3K in a hurry. As previously stated, using the entire rear end from an E46 M3 is another option but you will have to live with gearing that is probably ill-suited to your car or spend more money to change it's gearing. Someone on the forum is working on making an E30 diff work but it appears that is going to require lots of work.
Hours of expensive measured machine work in alterations and custom little bits. Its fitted and not cheap at all. Ever single custom item is Billet one off made.

Not at all in the same cost category like bolting a random LSD into a e30.

photo album of what is involved if you are interested:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1128588...eat=directlink

If you own/work at a machine shop and can access all machines I can see this being affordable. Otherwise not really as I spent quite a lot of money to have billet parts built for me locally in the Bay Area

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 12-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Driver08

Wanganstyle, some really nice work there on the the dif. and on the E30. When I first found your dif. thread I was really hoping it was going to prove to be simple but as you say, ceretainly not the case. One of these days I'll just have to bit the bullet and pay for a Kaaz or something similar- hopefully used. I'll be following your E30 project with interest. Cheers.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
The Wavetrac is a nice unit for a street car and the price is pretty good. But once you actually have the LSD unit, you need to install it into the case and that involves a bunch of extra work and cost to get it right. Setting up a diff properly is pretty easy, but there are some special tools (a pair of really beefy snap-ring pliers and a low inch-pounds torque wrench to name two) that you need to do it properly.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Driver08

Yup, similar to Quaife in terms of price anyway. I'd need to figure out who to trust on the instal. I feel like options are slim in my town. That shouldnt be a problem for the original poster though.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
SoloII///M

Can always learn to do it yourself, that's what I did.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Driver08

too true. I have managed to do a lot of my own work up to now on cars and bikes and I enjoy it. The dif would be a differnt ball of wax which is fine but it would carry a big penalty if I got it wrong. That said, if it proves the the most cost effective option then that is probably where i'll end up- and for the better ultimately.
Is there any machining that needs to be done to install the wavetrac or quaife? I some machining experience but it's pretty limited.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
SoloII///M

Quote:
too true. I have managed to do a lot of my own work up to now on cars and bikes and I enjoy it. The dif would be a differnt ball of wax which is fine but it would carry a big penalty if I got it wrong. That said, if it proves the the most cost effective option then that is probably where i'll end up- and for the better ultimately.
Is there any machining that needs to be done to install the wavetrac or quaife? I some machining experience but it's pretty limited.
I don't believe so, assuming you are running sufficiently short gears. I think they both only fit in the stock case with a 3.07 or higher ratio but you'll want to ask the diff manufacturer.

The diff I set up had 3.38 gears but now has 3.23 gears and it fit in the stock case without any problem.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Driver08

Sounds good. I'll be tempted to jump to 3.46 if I go this route. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
SoloII///M

Pretty sure I have a set of 3.46 gears around here if you want them. I know I still have 3.38s.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
wanganstyle

My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Yes, Milling of the case is required to install many of the Aftermarket LSD options. I believe Quaife makes a LSD center unit for 3.07 and lower, everyone else makes for 3,15 and higher only.

I made one E30 LSD diff with billet spacer for 2.93; milling was required:

This is OS Giken for e46 6 cylinder and /Z4 (3.46). Note milling required to fit the LSD capsule center:

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 01-02-2013 at 04:02 PM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #20
Driver08

thanks SoloII. Those gears should go to someone who can use them now. I'm just learning the options at this point. Was hoping machining was not required for most of these options. Oh well.